Diesel Cherokee Wagoneer Holy Grail?

Dusty_Jeeper_60

So to cut a long story short I have a old buddy that is a hard core jeep nut who owns some really old and rare jeeps, and it seems like every time I talk to him he has something rarer yet just hiding in one of his many storage lots (he's got a lot of stuff). So after buying my 87 comanche he mentions a diesel Cherokee that he was meaning to pull the drivetrain out of and put in his own comanche at some point, but since he got older he realized he won't get to all of his projects so he has been slowly selling his jeeps and he sold the comanche a year ago, yet still has the diesel Cherokee and was wondering if I would buy it. However I wasn't super excited about it as I have heard that the Renault diesels that jeep sold from the factory weren't the most powerful and I really liked my 4.0. But he talked me into at least looking at it so the sucker I am went out to look at and boy am I glad I did!!! It turned out not only to be a diesel Cherokee, but a diesel Cherokee Woody Wagoneer, that had a factory turbo, and every single option known to man on it, select trac, roof console, A/C, factory AMC mudflaps, floor mats, the works. It even had the original owners manual specific for the diesel, and all the original maintenance records! Its white with the wood paneling, and the grille is the later wagoneer grill without the dual headlights, but rather the thin slats, I've attached a video of it running.

So now for my questions, how rare is diesel Cherokee woody wagoneer? I know they didn't make many wagoneers, and I know that they didn't make many diesels, so if any one has any production numbers or someone I could get in contact with to get answers from I would appreciate it! And yes I bought it, I know I'm a sucker, but I've never heard of one or seen one this rarely optioned and this clean... And no I will not gut it for the drivetrain, but I'm stuck on whether I should just clean and polish it and throw it at an auction to make a quick buck. Or should I give it a 2 inch lift, throw on some wheels and tires from a 2019 rubicon wrangler, and maybe throw a nice dark metallic gray vinyl wrap over the wood grain and make it into a bearable two tone modern looking 4x4 mall queen. Give me your thoughts, I'm pretty open to ideas at the moment... It also depends on how rare this bird is and what it might bring at a auction all spiffed up and looking factory stock. And if your wondering, I'm most definitely not going to hack this and make it into a capable 4x4, I think a mall cruiser that looks like it might be capable, (but not really) is what I'm after if I do modify it.

More more we need more!  From what I can see in the video, it looks pretty clean.  We need to see the rest for sure tho!  

I say clean it up and keep it stock.  I've never seen a diesel wagoneer before and from what you describe this is optioned with, this thing sounds like hens teeth to me.  

Also here is a video of a walkaround my dad took, I'm busy turning over the engine by hand just as a safety measure before starting it while he was videoing. The paint while it looks pretty bad in the video is in pristine condition just a few chips on the front of the hood that can be professionally touched up. Its just really dirty from sitting outside for the last 5-6 years, it was kept in a garage all of its life before that. The only downside to the exterior is the tailgate wood grain vinyl has faded, luckily I have found somebody that can match and replace it if I go that route. The interior is in perfect condition, you will notice that the headliner is out, but that is because the guy I bought it from pulled it out to have the sagging headliner fixed about a month before I bought it. It really just needs a good cleaning and it will come to life, it lived all its life in eastern Washington, so there is not a spec of rust on it to be found, (I looked in all of the usual places).

It's hard to put into words just how rare it is to come across one that's optioned that way, and even more rare for it to be in such good shape. I don't think you're gonna find anyone here that will tell you to do anything but keep it stock.

OP, 

I'm assuming that is a '85. The grille and headlights are not typical Wagoneer, it may be an early '85 produced in '84, just guessing since Jeep history lists '85 up with the diesel. 

IOWs it may be rarer than rare, that header looks original and is obviously early based on badge at driver's headlight. 

We'd like to see more details, more pics, more information. 

I'd love to find a solid unmolested '84-'85 XJ, I missed out on a couple and regret it, I'd love to have a keeper. 

I belong to another site which happens to have a Jeep discussion going on at the moment, I posted a link to this page there, here is an outsider's POV-

It sounds like he doesn't deserve it. Lots of gum-flapping about changing it

I concur, prove us wrong, make yourself deserving of it or pass it one to someone who is. 

1 hour ago, Jeep Driver said:

I'm assuming that is a '85. The grille and headlights are not typical Wagoneer, it may be an early '85 produced in '84, just guessing since Jeep history lists '85 up with the diesel. 

That 21-slot grill was factory on '84-'85 Waggys. They didn't adopt the four-eyed look we all think of when we hear Wagoneer until '86.

@Jeep Driver: It is a 1985, I misspoke when I said it was a later grille, I meant a early grille. Everybody is going to hate me when I say how much I paid; so all I'm going to say is I traded it for a 99 chevy Tahoe that had a dead motor along with a little cash.  I'm not a big fan of the wood paneling, but I am willing to live with it if it is as rare as I believe it is. I originally bought it as a economical daily that I was going to moderately build, with all add on's being easily reversible if someone wanted to return to factory. (AKA no cutting wheels and rattle can paint jobs if that's what your concerned about). This is why I was thinking of just vinyl wrapping over the wood paneling which would (A) protect the original wood paneling from more sun fade, (B) help get rid of the 80s ugliness, which I know I will get much hate from some for thinking that :shhh:

However since I started doing some research, during which I couldn't find another example existing, that's when I realized what I must have stumbled upon. At this rate with all the responses I'm thinking of leaning towards doing just a good cleaning and a light cosmetic restoration. It will then probably be posted at a major auction, as I really am not interested in something like this in its stock form, and I know there are others who want it more than me. I am a hard core jeep lover, but I like the earlier "real steel" jeeps like my Willys pickup, the Kaiser M715s and the FSJ Cherokee Chiefs of the late 70s. I also bought this Cherokee because since I am jeep nut I hated to see the thing to continue to sit and deteriorate in a back lot (also I can't resist anything that's diesel powered :laugh:). But if its to rare to make it look halfway decent in my opinion (aka no 97-01 grille swaps or bumper swaps) then I may just have to move it on to someone else who is willing to put their money where there mouth is.

@eaglescout526 : The system sentry is one of the few options that this thing didn't come with, but I don't know if it was a available option to have it with a diesel, as the diesel's were entirely mechanical (a 1 wire motor technically if you don't count the glow plugs) and didn't have a computer/electrical system, like the gas motors to link up to the system sentry.

@WahooSteeler: Yes it is the same diesel engine that was available to the MJ's and standard XJ's.

Has anyone ever heard or seen of a diesel wagoneer though?  

As of right now the only parts that need replaced or added are: antennae (.99 cents at junkyard), a set 4x4 badges of which I already have from my comanche, and a tan drivers side door armrest of which I don't have and was the only part of the interior that wasn't perfect (looks like they took a chainsaw to it :confused: ) and may be tricky to find from the junkyard in mint condition.

8 hours ago, Dusty_Jeeper_60 said:

@Jeep Driver: It is a 1985, I misspoke when I said it was a later grille, I meant a early grille. Everybody is going to hate me when I say how much I paid; so all I'm going to say is I traded it for a 99 chevy Tahoe that had a dead motor along with a little cash.  I'm not a big fan of the wood paneling, but I am willing to live with it if it is as rare as I believe it is. I originally bought it as a economical daily that I was going to moderately build, with all add on's being easily reversible if someone wanted to return to factory. (AKA no cutting wheels and rattle can paint jobs if that's what your concerned about). This is why I was thinking of just vinyl wrapping over the wood paneling which would (A) protect the original wood paneling from more sun fade, (B) help get rid of the 80s ugliness, which I know I will get much hate from some for thinking that :shhh:

However since I started doing some research, during which I couldn't find another example existing, that's when I realized what I must have stumbled upon. At this rate with all the responses I'm thinking of leaning towards doing just a good cleaning and a light cosmetic restoration. It will then probably be posted at a major auction, as I really am not interested in something like this in its stock form, and I know there are others who want it more than me. I am a hard core jeep lover, but I like the earlier "real steel" jeeps like my Willys pickup, the Kaiser M715s and the FSJ Cherokee Chiefs of the late 70s. I also bought this Cherokee because since I am jeep nut I hated to see the thing to continue to sit and deteriorate in a back lot (also I can't resist anything that's diesel powered :laugh:). But if its to rare to make it look halfway decent in my opinion (aka no 97-01 grille swaps or bumper swaps) then I may just have to move it on to someone else who is willing to put their money where there mouth is.

@eaglescout526 : The system sentry is one of the few options that this thing didn't come with, but I don't know if it was a available option to have it with a diesel, as the diesel's were entirely mechanical (a 1 wire motor technically if you don't count the glow plugs) and didn't have a computer/electrical system, like the gas motors to link up to the system sentry.

@WahooSteeler: Yes it is the same diesel engine that was available to the MJ's and standard XJ's.

Has anyone ever heard or seen of a diesel wagoneer though?  

As of right now the only parts that need replaced or added are: antennae (.99 cents at junkyard), a set 4x4 badges of which I already have from my comanche, and a tan drivers side door armrest of which I don't have and was the only part of the interior that wasn't perfect (looks like they took a chainsaw to it :confused: ) and may be tricky to find from the junkyard in mint condition.

Rare- the most abused word in the automotive lexicon. 

Will you get $30K at auction? No. Will a Californian pay $6-7K for it, likely. There are Californians here who can chime in but if I'm not mistaken this XJ should be emissions exempt so beyond the rarity and oddity the value may be in it's exemption. 

You have to know how to market it and who to market it to get it's greatest dollar value. 

Rare does not always equate to high dollar value. That said-

Across the board, it seems as though the millennials have little appreciation for anything of historical value or cultural value, if not an outright rejection of it. We have kids ranging from 14 to 37 and I'm sure you fit in there somewhere, and I've seen it here on the boards, young guys just chop $#!& up till there's nothing left. I've been beating this drum for several years, there will come a day when there really is nothing left. 

It's yours, do as you wish. 

Well that kind of reaffirms my suspicions. I think I'm going to end up giving it a metallic grey vinyl wrap over the wood, similar to the picture posted below, but with the 2019 rubicon rims which people are selling for dirt cheap ($1000 for 5 brand new never used wheels and tires) which you can't beat. I might also delete the yellow amber side markers and go to clear, which should clean up the front as well. I think other than that I'm probably just going to leave it the way it is and just make it into a daily driver from there.

Image result for jeep cherokee wagoneer

Related image

Nice find.  But that Renault 2.1 turbo diesel engine is really a piece of junk!  Very poor reliability record.  No parts support in North America at all.  No service support network in North America.  Even the National Renault Club (yes, there really is one) will be no help.

Post the VIN number:  That is the key to getting the Jeep registered in California.  My 1986 Comanche is a true factory diesel and the VIN number was key to get it registered here in California. I have a VW TDI engine in that truck now.  The Renault diesel had a couple of cracked cylinder liners and a cracked cylinder head!

Several years ago there was an 85/86 Diesel Cherokee listed on Craigslist all over the Pacific Northwest with an asking price of about 6K.  It was listed for months off and on.  As far as I know, it never sold.  Perhaps this is the same Cherokee??

Automan on here has a running 86 diesel Comanche.  He is a heavy duty mechanic by trade, so can keep it running.  Think the truck was offered for sale at $2500 before he bought it.  Don't know the final price.

Frankly, I don't think you have found a valuable gold nugget.  Just a nice old Jeep.  And NO! I am not in the market.  Been there, done that.

I have to echo John and say that regardless of the "value" or rarity, the 2.1 just makes for a bad daily driver.  reliability is poor and engine parts are not available at any store.  Automan brings his truck out for shows and the occasional weekend jaunt into town.  and he's already had to source parts from europe.  the engine shares things with some weird motorhome engine or something like that.  He's the guy to see about getting parts when the time comes.  :L:  full screen name: automan2164

On 2/12/2019 at 9:43 PM, gogmorgo said:

That 21-slot grill was factory on '84-'85 Waggys. They didn't adopt the four-eyed look we all think of when we hear Wagoneer until '86.

Correct. But, as Jeep Driver mentioned, someone has put the grille in upside down.

6 hours ago, Minuit said:

I know that the engine sucks and would make my life miserable... but I still want one someday.

Jeremy,

If you mean that, suggest you talk to the OP.  You are detailed enough to take excellent care of the rare old jeep.  Very few of us here are that Obsessive/Compulsive.  Hey, that is a compliment!!  At least in my somewhat warped mind.

17 hours ago, johnj92131 said:

Jeremy,

If you mean that, suggest you talk to the OP.  You are detailed enough to take excellent care of the rare old jeep.  Very few of us here are that Obsessive/Compulsive.  Hey, that is a compliment!!  At least in my somewhat warped mind.

Thanks for the kind words John :beerchug: and yes, I do take that as a compliment.

If I didn't have my 89 in limbo, I'd be in the market I think. Gotta at least pay lip service to the old projects before starting a new one :fistshake1:

Yeah, I know its a pretty crap motor, the only reason I bought it was due to the rarity of the options and how clean it was. I am also a heavy diesel mechanic by trade, and I have already ordered a timing belt for it from Europe just as a precautionary measure. Just a tip don't search for parts through a U.S. parts dealer you won't find anything as you guys have mentioned already. I actually searched on Ebay UK to find all of the parts I needed, even though ironically U.S. Ebay won't list the same search results; even though they are the same company. The nice thing is that you can still have these parts shipped to the US, it just takes about a month to get here if you don't want to pay full premium on shipping. So while its not the speediest solution, it is a solution, which if any of you have worked on really old vehicles, any solution is a good solution sometimes :cool:.

I don't think It is the same jeep that was posted on craigslist years back, as I understand the guy I bought it from purchased it back in 08 in a private sale from the original owner who had been keeping it in the garage for the last couple of years due to health issues. Far as I know the original owner lived in east Washington most of his life and then moved to Idaho in his last years of ownership. I don't think this thing has seen the road since maybe 06-07 and even then it wasn't much from what I understand. I hope that the engine makes it for a while, but I am prepared to do either a Kubota or VW swap if it takes a crap on me. I don't have the vin with me as the jeep is still in Oregon being stored at my parents farm, I currently live in Idaho right now due to my job (field service diesel mechanic). I will post more info when I can get back home in a month or so.

The funny thing about this Cherokee though is when we went to start the thing, other than some dirty battery cables, and a crap battery, this thing fired right up and idled smoother than all hell, which surprised me since I had read some not so nice things about the motor. So :crossfingers: hopefully the engine doesn't sh*t the bed anytime soon. As of right now I am I putting together the last of the bits needed to VW TDI swap my Willys pickup, where I have learned a lot about how to mod something, while keeping it looking stock. I started out on the "keep it stock bandwagon", by restoring my 60 willys pickup back to stock and putting over 50k miles on it, but after the engine took a sh*t on me I realized I like to drive it rather than look at it sitting, so I am currently doing a engine swap, but leaving every other bit of the truck stock. This is why when people cry out and say keep it stock, I say "do you like looking at the rig sitting on jack stands in the garage, or driving it?" You would never know this truck has a swapped engine, but it does, which is what makes it fun to look at, and drive. 

0928171541b.jpg