Comanche Dawn

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have been so busy at work and with the weather issues in Texas I hadn't had time to mess with the Jeep until this weekend. I have been struggling with crazy high intake temperatures. Where I had the intake was right on top of the exhaust manifold. My initial idea was to drop it down between the fans in front of the radiator. It worked very well and the intake temps dropped from 160 to under 90 on a 70 degree day.Optimally I always want the intake temp to be within 20 degrees of ambient.  However it left the intake very exposed to water ingestion. So I decided to relocate the power steering reservoir and move the intake so it ended up close to the stock location. Intake temps are staying under 100 which is what an LS likes. High intake temps cause the PCM to really throttle back timing, resulting in a significant loss of power. That along with a 3" intake was really choking the engine. If this doesn't work there is always methanol injection lol.

So I drilled a hole through the alternator bracket and fed the power steering feed under the throttle body to a new reservoir which I installed on the cylinder head on the passenger side. I used a Aeroflow reservoir from a 2005 GTO and fabricated a bracket.

Hole drilled in bracket to feed power steering fluid supply line.

20210314_102122.jpg.e79f91979a83eca99cab0645c1584d09.jpg

Fabricated a bracket using a modified GTO bracket 

20210314_101643.jpg.96d9a3ee1f41f9cb97b290a606e3b7c9.jpg

GTO Aeroflow fabricated reservoir. It had the inlet and outlet pointing in the perfect direction

20210314_102101.jpg.1fe499e687413a27fd7009144849afee.jpg

Almost looks like it was meant to be there.

20210314_102105.jpg.20f65b3e28b2d0eeb4d59e434a3968ff.jpg

Intake in new location. I will be fabricating a heat shield to direct airflow from the front of the grille.

20210314_101052.jpg.42adc249ddb92bcf5c53af5fd3eccd45.jpg

MAF/IAT sensor mounted by the intake. I was able to get a larger filter in there too.Fabricated a small bracket to keep everything from moving around.

20210314_102317.jpg.f822561a3925c76bd9f7afde79d4e08d.jpg

Tight but it cleared fine. I was also able to go from 3" to 3 1/2" tubing

20210314_102324.jpg.66e237e66d0349427f34a03129b2b0c0.jpg

That's pretty much where I have mine situated and my temps are really good when moving. I also made a little shield and wrapped the tube in heat tape. Making it work with how little room we have between the radiator and throttle body is tough. 

You definitely got a lot more going on in the engine bay tho. Lol

IMG_20200724_161353.jpg

This is about the only route if you don't want crazy intake temps. Ideally if you use the truck PS pump that has the reservoir behind the pump and you don't use the huge mopar stock fans (unlike me) you should have more space than I had. 3 1/2 piping is plenty big enough for a 5.3.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/15/2021 at 4:37 PM, Limeyjeeper said:

This is about the only route if you don't want crazy intake temps. Ideally if you use the truck PS pump that has the reservoir behind the pump and you don't use the huge mopar stock fans (unlike me) you should have more space than I had. 3 1/2 piping is plenty big enough for a 5.3.

Agreed.  Move the accessories back using f-body or 'vette spacing for them and there's a few options for PS pump stuff to get it out of the way and there's good room. :)

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Sorry I haven't done an update in a while. Been dealing with a bad cooling issue. Took her to Bantam had a great time but she was getting too hot for my liking on the trails. It really struggles off idle at around 2k rpm and a load. Not running lean wideband looks good. The two Jeep fans plus the Novak radiator should keep her cool but I fear that is not the case. With the AC on it really struggles. Torq Sheep is doing a test for me on the true Jeep CFM rating once I have that I can see if it simply that the two Jeep fans aren't cutting it or it is something else. Bled the system multiple times, definitely no air in the system.

Worked on getting the intake temps down, getting a custom intake shroud made, the test one pulled the AIT down about 50 degrees o I am hopeful.

I am also having the factory front skid plate modified to work with the LS and I am also going to be replacing the stock crossmember with a beefier one.

All for now.

1 hour ago, Limeyjeeper said:

The two Jeep fans plus the Novak radiator should keep her cool but I fear that is not the case.

Got to get away from the Jeep style radiator. 

Spal fans. 

Guys who go to V8 radiators........I'm not hearing any complaints from them. 

17 hours ago, Limeyjeeper said:

Sorry I haven't done an update in a while. Been dealing with a bad cooling issue. Took her to Bantam had a great time but she was getting too hot for my liking on the trails. It really struggles off idle at around 2k rpm and a load. Not running lean wideband looks good. The two Jeep fans plus the Novak radiator should keep her cool but I fear that is not the case. With the AC on it really struggles. Torq Sheep is doing a test for me on the true Jeep CFM rating once I have that I can see if it simply that the two Jeep fans aren't cutting it or it is something else. Bled the system multiple times, definitely no air in the system.

Worked on getting the intake temps down, getting a custom intake shroud made, the test one pulled the AIT down about 50 degrees o I am hopeful.

I am also having the factory front skid plate modified to work with the LS and I am also going to be replacing the stock crossmember with a beefier one.

All for now.

I am back from WA this weekend so crossing my fingers I get time to play in the garage!

The Novak radiator is similar to the original in size right? If so I have the dirt bound triple fan set up on my Cherokee with the 4.0 and 3 spal fans and it works really well. To me the 4.0 seems to run hotter than my LS but that just could be me. 

To cool the Comanche I used a 22x19 generic sbc rad with a single 16 inch. Never ever gets above 205f even sitting in traffic for over an hour. But like you said with the winch it probably won't work. I had to cut my lower support and it hangs almost to the bottom of the stock bumper. 

• 1 month later...

I think I am going to do the same. I am running a GM stock 188 degree thermostat. The Jeep fans should be fine they have very high CFM (over 2,200 each) but I guess they don't cover the complete radiator, so the radiator cooling isn't optimized.

So I bit the bullet and ordered the Novak fan kit. Also got the new crossmember installed. Had to modify it to clear the 242.

IMG_20211008_204655.jpg.e75bcde363088d42c3a03b0baf886325.jpg

The exhaust is fixed so it didn't hit the front DS.

IMG_20211008_204643.jpg.5347b9a258c5e9f4dd66f59db342514d.jpg

All the suspension geometry is now correct. Couldn't get the factory skidplate to work so I have one available if anybody wants one. Thanks to Aaron at Smith Offroad in Dallas for all the fab work.

IMG_20211008_204653.jpg

• 8 months later...

Haven't been able to do much to the Jeep. I moved from Texas to Ohio so that has taken up a bunch of time. Will be doing the bellhousing change in a couple of weeks, I am just not happy with the clutch setup as it is. and I still working on the overheating issue. Looking to be at All Breeds at the end of July and Smokey Mountain hopefully. Still have a bunch of niggly things to do. The Crank sensor has crapped out, I need to get the Digital Watch Dawg talking to the door locks, I have a brake fluid leak that needs fixing. Normal stuff to keep me busy.