Comanche Dawn

Few more pics at the shop

20200711_122923.jpg.2f0479eebd172795abd5df55aa70ec44.jpg

20200711_122824.jpg.384256778e96e3286cbdbc5d801c4e7c.jpg

20200711_122815.jpg.e46e3f3ef08161620af719ad704e9ce4.jpg

Decided to go push button start. Got the Digital Guard Dog system. Looks pretty neat. Thinking of mounting the button on the column where the key is and removing the rod and column lock.

704319560_20200718_17100020954.jpg.eec619ffe928d7b9ba26ab5ea22c5998.jpg

Trying to get HP Tuners to connect to my PCM. Managed to get it to connect once now nothing. Pretty disappointing considering how much it costs. They could learn a lesson from Cobb Tuning. In my Subaru days they were rock solid. Got a ticket into support. I am sure they will blame me, my PC or the PCM. My Innova scanner connects fine. It just doesn't have much live data. Maybe I need to try EFI live....

10 hours ago, thecodemonk said:

I had to get things just right to get my HO Tuners to connect. It's not that intuitive, I found. Once it connected once, though, it connected consistently after that for me.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Hopefully that will be the case.

• 2 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, Phillip Gwin said:

Looks great, wondering why you put the catalytic converter on? Just know you don't need it in Texas on one this old. 

The original had one, so I thought I would be a good citizen. Also if I ever moved to another state I might need one so I thought I might as well, 

Catalytic Converter Laws in Texas

BY HERB KIRCHHOFF

The catalytic converter in motor vehicles is an anti-pollution device that chemically converts toxic byproducts of fuel combustion into gases that occur naturally. Some drivers believe that removing the converter will improve performance while others may seek to replace the converter with a section of ordinary exhaust pipe to avoid the cost of replacing a failed converter. Such actions are against Texas state law, and violators face up to a $25,000 fine.

Tampering Illegal

It is illegal in Texas to tamper with properly functioning catalytic converters and other pollution control equipment, says the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality website. Tampering means removing, disabling or otherwise rendering inoperable the pollution control devices installed on a motor vehicle.

Use or Sale Banned

Texas law forbids you to drive a motor vehicle with missing or inoperable pollution control systems. This applies regardless of whether the vehicle is being driven on- or off-road. It is also illegal in Texas to sell, lease or offer a motor vehicle that doesn't have all pollution control systems in proper working order.

Repair Rules

Chapter 114 of the Texas Clean Air Act requires that a missing or failed catalytic converter or other failed pollution control device must be replaced with one specified for that vehicle and which has been certified by the federal Environmental Protection Agency. The repairs must meet the emissions standards established for that vehicle. It is also illegal to add equipment, such as a turbocharger, that wasn't originally certified by the manufacturer for that make and model.

Exemptions

Texas law exempts vehicles and engines used exclusively for auto racing, research and development, or vocational instruction. It also exempts farm vehicles made before 2000, and vehicles or engines being exported from the United States.

It's technically illegal to remove it.  How enforced that is will vary, state by state, but the law is the law. 

I chose to stick with a cat since it does help emissions a little and modern cats don't really restrict much (not at my power level and not enough to matter...I'm not chasing every last horsepower).  I know several people who delete them or put a straight through pipe inside of it to effectively eliminate it and still pass a visual inspection.  Not really my issue, but everyone gets to choose whether they want to, or they're ok with the risk of getting a fixit ticket (relatively minor and low likelihood of detection).

On 8/6/2020 at 5:16 PM, Limeyjeeper said:

The original had one, so I thought I would be a good citizen. Also if I ever moved to another state I might need one so I thought I might as well, 

Good job.  Too many people take it off and don't consider the environmental ramifications doing so would have.