I've never seen a new one

shrapneltyphoon

1 hour ago, bad_idea said:

If it is a single, who would want that?  One shiny new taillight and one dingy 30 y/o one.  Would look terrible.

This is the type of guy that would be looking for that light, not someone who would throw that on a rust-bucket or trail-beater. 

And yes, he'd wait another year or two for the other to show up. 

The guy I bought my second MJ from claimed he bought his taillights on RockAuto a few years to the tune of $350/side. They do look pretty good. But you'd think after spending that much on them you'd do better a better job installing them than just two drywall screws into the outer holes...

image.jpeg

3 hours ago, gogmorgo said:

The guy I bought my second MJ from claimed he bought his taillights on RockAuto a few years to the tune of $350/side. They do look pretty good. But you'd think after spending that much on them you'd do better a better job installing them than just two drywall screws into the outer holes...

Interesting.  Rockauto does sell OEM parts.  And they seem to buy out stores/warehouses/etc and unload the stuff for a lower price if it's not regular inventory items.  Wondering if they bought up some Jeep dealer NOS at one point?

3 hours ago, DirtyComanche said:

Interesting.  Rockauto does sell OEM parts.  And they seem to buy out stores/warehouses/etc and unload the stuff for a lower price if it's not regular inventory items.  Wondering if they bought up some Jeep dealer NOS at one point?

I'm not positive I want to believe anything that guy told me any more.

I'm open to the possibility but skeptical. With enough of us here who've used RockAuto regularly, you'd think one of us would've noticed? I've been on CC longer than the four years he claimed to have had the truck, and don't remember it ever having been pointed out. I'm thinking it's more likey he got them on eBay and just forgot, than that he'd have deliberately been lying to me, but you never know. But I do know a couple NOS sets have sold on eBay for about that price during that time frame. 

If those are the alleged $350/side taillights in your photo, that guy either got thoroughly screwed or misrepresented their provenance.  I have a pair I polished and clear-coated that look much better as have others on the Forums.  Admittedly, the backup light portion doesn’t 36186C38-517E-4E8B-9CA3-10C58CB7531B.jpeg.d435395f690bd9ce122c01388e5780e1.jpeg2D521383-BFCE-4DE1-8C36-F496BC745305.jpeg.3091f21fbbabb50e157b449430c55571.jpegas look as clear as new, but still pretty good.

Well, he said he changed them shortly after he got the truck, so by that timeline they're no longer new, just less old than anything else out there. They also aren't clean, euther. They do look a ton better than any other set of MJ tails I've seen in person, apart from where the screw holes are a bit hogged out from rattling around on the drywall screws. 

I owned a set of the chrome trim still in factory boxes. I was not aware of Comanche Club nor a member then. I listed them on craigslist after they sat in my crawl space for 2 years until my wife almost broke them. I had them listed only 2 hours my phone went crazy and the people were worse. I finally caved and sould them to a guy that hounded me for them about another six months for $750. I know several people with multiple sets of N.O.S. lights and do not p.m. who or if they are for sale. There are more out there than you think. I only sold those lights because I would not dare put them on a truck of mine even if I ever did finally get around to restoring one. I would die if it got broken or stolen. I guess if you drive ugly rust buckets you just don't have to stress about it.

I have a single NOS housing.  it is the most gorgeous red hue I've ever seen.  had to buy a pass side and then trade a member to get a black trimmed drivers.  but it's mine now and will forever hang on the wall. :D  (on my NOS bedside with the NOS gas door and NOS flare and NOS mudflap and NOS bumper endcap) 

art is art and my art is beeeeeautiful  :grinyes:

IMG_3457 s.jpg