Evolution '88

I know you've been accused of being "unfiltered" in some of your replies on CC, but all one needs to do is follow this thread.  

That truck is awesome and reflects thoughtful progress.   I still wouldn't pay that for the headlights, but they're awesome too. :laugh:

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Well, the hood got completely repainted, twice.

And the doors got repainted too. 

I had trouble with gnats and other bugs, bugs that could not bee seen before I painted. Taught myself a trick, prep, cover parts with plastic, set off bug bombs, come back in 45 minutes and spray. Works great. 

Doors will get one more coat of clear........then on to the bed. 

bIb7kWI.jpg

1DJfbQO.jpg

QPAApi2.jpg

UMYOewk.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Door seals, good ones. 

d07Ib05.jpg

b5T7xu5.jpg

rSwUMLW.jpg

Rear window trim, cleaned, soaked in brake fluid to soften and make more supple. Left in heat and shaken every 30 minutes for about 4 hours.

k9IOgDn.jpg

Drip rails painted and installed.

2aZQinU.jpg

Took me three hours to install trim, what a b*@ch. 

o5KN0Hn.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

The color of my grille is Sterling, it is matched to the tailgate letters and handle. 

I did not want black as black makes the nose of the truck look small, drawn in and cuts the front in two.......just a poor look.

However, as I suspected, as a single color it look displeasing and cheap, lazy. 

The color does do well with the headlights though.

C2XnVYj.jpg

vckMd9D.jpg

iyjHOy8.jpg

rFbfQhN.jpg

I don't care about any kind of factory look but this does look more natural. 

I'm also going to do the upper and lower pinstripe line on the grille and headlight doors. 

It's really cool to see everything coming together so nicely for you.  The level of detail in this build is inspiring.  Reading this thread gives me some drive to get to the same point sooner rather than later on my truck.

Everybody likes different things.  Some of what you'ce done with your truck is contrary to my own tastes,  however I really appreciate your craftsmanship, which makes me really like the build a lot.  It's like you made some very different choices, but pulled them off so well, I really respect and enjoy what was done.

Awesome work.  All that thinking and planning is paying off in spades.  Thank you for sharing.

On 11/3/2019 at 5:43 PM, kryptronic said:

It's really cool to see everything coming together so nicely for you.  The level of detail in this build is inspiring.  Reading this thread gives me some drive to get to the same point sooner rather than later on my truck.

Everybody likes different things.  Some of what you'ce done with your truck is contrary to my own tastes,  however I really appreciate your craftsmanship, which makes me really like the build a lot.  It's like you made some very different choices, but pulled them off so well, I really respect and enjoy what was done.

Awesome work.  All that thinking and planning is paying off in spades.  Thank you for sharing.

:L:

FWIW to anyone, the grille-

I'm no longer posting on the general forums, there was some discussion recently regarding the '92+ grille not fitting a '90- header. 

What you are looking at is a '92 grille on a '88 header. You'll have to fit it but it will fit just fine. 

Why I painted the grille- 

I've looked, nearly impossible to find NOS grilles, chrome or otherwise. I'm referring to a complete set.....even piece meal when they come up will cost about $350++

I have an aftermarket grille and doors I paid something like $80 for from Summit, pure garbage, unworthy of any truck. 

Painting was the only logical solution for me. 

If you guys find any OEM grilles and doors you better hold on to those. 

A little teaser to myself. 

Wheels won't go on until I get the bed finished, front wheel wells cleaned and  sprayed with undercoating like the rear and I get the Wilwoods on. 

Wheels/tires fill the hole nicely, much more appropriate in size.

Black on the wheels match the trim nicely.

Front axle will need to go another .75" further north, I already pushed it out and I've run out of driveshaft. Front suspension/axle will come out again anyway.

Longarms are definitely in the future. 

32s look puny now. Deep lips are a huge improvement over the older wheels.

34s will net me 1" of overall lift. 

umGs0Xx.jpg

r2Xi6U6.jpg

6tOt1vn.jpg

VD7WijX.jpg

• 2 weeks later...