Evolution '88

1 hour ago, 89 MJ said:

Exciting! Why did you go with SBC over LS if you don’t mind me asking?

Nostalgia. 

There are plenty of old school SBCs and others still being built today. 

And, I'm not interested in following current norms just because everyone else is. 

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be keeping track of costs here and updating as I go. 

Picked up my flywheel and clutch today. 

Used long block core.                                                                                     $250.00

Rotating assembly, ARP balancer bolt, brass plugs, balancer. Jegs           $895.96

Flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, bolts.  Silver Sport Transmissions          $640.72

Machine work, clean, bore, deck, cam bearings.  Myers Machine              $630.00

To date:                                                                                                           $2,416.68

Note: I'm buying as much as I can that is made in USA, regardless of cost. 

sJ3RBmZ.jpg

Ws5Iy86.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Giving the bumper a once over, again. 

79OhELA.jpg

Ball joints arrived today, Sunday. 

Read the tag.......go figure. 

zgNVUUZ.jpg

As I mentioned in a previous post, parts are becoming scarce. I found these the old fashioned way, calling around the country.....this maybe the last set of bolts available. 

vDr3Gez.jpg

Used long block core.                                                                                          $250.00

Rotating assembly, ARP balancer bolt, brass plugs, balancer. Jegs                $895.96

Flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, bolts.  Silver Sport Transmissions               $640.72

Machine work, clean, bore, deck, cam bearings.  Myers Machine                  $630.00

Machinist labor, check balance of rotating assembly, good for 8500rpm      $200.00

ARP main cap bolts                                                                                             $109.00

Head location pins                                                                                              $    9.53

To date:                                                                                                               $2,635.21

I'm waiting on an invoice for the deposit on my heads......seller states better than 2 months lead time. 

Ordered my heads today, AFR 195 Street Heads set up for roller cam. 

ilR08hK.png

Ordered my intake today, AFR dual plane.

nFFO0ar.jpg

Used long block core.                                                                                          $250.00

Rotating assembly, ARP balancer bolt, brass plugs, balancer. Jegs                $895.96

Flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, bolts.  Silver Sport Transmissions               $640.72

Machine work, clean, bore, deck, cam bearings.  Myers Machine                  $630.00

Machinist labor, check balance of rotating assembly, good for 8500rpm      $200.00

ARP main cap bolts                                                                                             $109.00

Head location pins                                                                                              $    9.53

AFR dual plane intake, AFR directly.                                                                  $359.31

195 Street Heads, AFR, Weingartner Racing, 50% deposite,                           $962.00

To date:                                                                                                               $3,956.52

• 2 weeks later...

AFR dual plane intake, AFR directly.                                                                  $359.31

195 Street Heads, AFR, Weingartner Racing, 50% deposit,                            $962.00

Melling oil pump, ARP intake bolts, ARP timing cover and pan bolts, 

ARP head bolts, Moroso carb lift plate, Milodon oil pan and pick-up, 

Milodon timing cover.                                                                                         $492.11    

To date:                                                                                                               $4,448.63

More parts came this week. 

Got the rear bumper installed along with some suspension parts.

Even though the exhaust is going be replaced I installed that as well. 

Next up will be to media blast the block and get it painted then to a final wash. 

Color will be Midnight Blue. 

In the mean time I'm working on choosing a cam shaft. 

Still doing well with only American made products. 

Tentative cam choice, I'll know next week about availability. 

HYDRAULIC ROLLER RETRO-FIT CAMSHAFT; 1955 - 1998 CHEVY 262-400 1500-5600 HOWARDS CAMS 111145-14

Camshaft Series:

 Retro-Fit Year: 1955 - 1998

Make: Chevy

Engine: 262-400

Camshaft Type: Hydraulic Roller

Basic RPM Range: 1500-5600

Valve Lift Intake: .525

Valve Lift Exhaust: .525

Duration Intake: 272

Duration Exhaust: 278

Duration at 050 Intake: 219

Duration at 050 Exhaust: 225

Lobe Separation: 114

Intake Centerline: 110

Firing Order: 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2

Quantity: 1 Each

Country Of Origin:  United States

If any of you are looking for performance parts, Winners Circle has been extremely good to me. 

https://www.winnerscircle.com/pages/contact-us

and still no tax for non-Illinois residents. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/12/2021 at 10:28 PM, Big Dan said:

Is Myers Machine the shop in Lexington or something closer to you?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Local to me. 

He's a good machinist and I'm grateful we even have one around here. 

• 3 weeks later...

When I installed the '89 knuckles on the '94 axle this problem became evident-

82hD7hp.jpg

The knuckle was not seating all the way on the upper ball joint. 

Not a big deal you say? Yeah it is and it's unacceptable. 

I've seen several photos like this over the years, others have had the same problem. 

And the reply is always that it does not matter. 

What matters is that the lower sleeve will not seat on the lower ball joint until it's about 1/4" out of the top of the lower knuckle, well into the seal, and even then the lower does not really tighten up like it should. 

So, what's wrong? 

In my case it was clear that the upper taper was distorted, not round and the bottom of the taper was mushroomed in. 

Solution? 

S3CfGVP.jpg

Took about four light turnings with the reamer to repair the hole. 

Much better and the sleeve on the lower is tight and well within the threaded section. 

thZMS36.jpg

Make your own tool, go to Lowes and buy a piece of garbage 3/4 socket and grind it out. 

Every review I've read of the ones you can buy say they break. 

UpJPbhw.jpg

Lower is serviceable. 

bV4ZJwK.jpg

Of course I cannot speak to the longevity of the Alloy USA ball joints but they certainly appear to be much better quality than Spicer. 

Also note that Alloy USA says these ball joints will not fit...well, BS, they do. 

• 2 months later...

ATF and Scotchbrite cleaned the lifter bores nicely. 

d3YIuyL.jpg

Block has been bead blasted and painted. 

Most of my parts are here for the longblock. 

I'm just about finished deburring and easing, ATF and Scotchbrite is excellent for scrubbing the inside of the block. 

I got my block brushes today, in the next day or so after I chase the main bolt threads it'll get a hot water and soap bath. 

HtiyJ43.jpg

Edited by Jeep Driver

On 11/10/2021 at 7:05 PM, 89 MJ said:

What color did you go with on the block out of curiosity?

Just basic black. 

I was going to paint it Midnight Black but accessory drive and valve covers and so forth will all come black powder coated, so I decided it would be best to only paint the block. 

Color scheme will make more sense when it's all put together. 

B7nqu31.jpg

Edited by Jeep Driver