Evolution '88

I mentioned in someone else's thread about being nickle and dime'd to death. Wire, loom, connectors, bolts and nuts, solder.......all that you see here, just the get the lights wired and bed bolted back down.....just over $200

And this is the reason why I haven’t gone into the factory wiring and ripped all the breaks when you touch it loom and redone everything. To neatly reloom and reroute things it would nickel and dime you with both time and money. Maybe once I get my other jeep back down here and have something else to drive I’ll start tearing into it. I’m very seriously considering cutting a PDC out of a Cherokee and wiring all the crap in my Comanche to it just to have things in one place, organized and better looking. Between the factory electric fan stuff, the headlight harness, and the relays in the “distribution center” I feel like it would end up a lot cleaner in my engine bay. Might fix some of the random electrical gremlins I can’t solve just by cleaning it all up.

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

44 minutes ago, Jeep Driver said:

I used an awl to open up the hole in the body plug/grommet, then forced a piece of 3/8 brass tubing in the hole, ran the wire through the tubing, pulled out the tubing, wire is tight in the hole just like it was. 

Nice job on that.   I've made various tools to assist with threading wiring through firewall grommets and similar things.   They're basically old screwdriver handles drilled out with brake line, gas line or whatever works friction fit through them.  Sometimes you can't get your hands up into tight places and these make it a bit easier. 

picture.php?albumid=2026&pictureid=66730

On 2/8/2020 at 7:46 PM, PCO6 said:

Nice job on that.   I've made various tools to assist with threading wiring through firewall grommets and similar things.   They're basically old screwdriver handles drilled out with brake line, gas line or whatever works friction fit through them.  Sometimes you can't get your hands up into tight places and these make it a bit easier. 

picture.php?albumid=2026&pictureid=66730

Very smart!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Just stopped by to post a pic of the new wheels and tires.

I think it's has a much more appropriate stance now. 

hNeyxQX.jpg

Lots of changes in the last several months, my truck has just sat until yesterday. Time to clean away the messes of the past, new tires took up too much space and old tires need to be sold off. Along with a bunch of junk that needs to be hauled off, so much clutter that I cannot stand myself. My truck will get finished, eventually, or sold off if the offer is right, either way I really don't care. 

Business is good and I have little time for it. Frankly, I never cared for the 'Jeep Culture' to begin with, no offense but I really forced myself to be here. 

I've moved on, well, I went back to a first love-

f8Cd6dE.jpg

Probably my last post here, although I may post a couple of pics after it's finished. 

Take care. 

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
21 hours ago, Big Dan said:

Change of heart?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

No, LOL. 

I posted this pic in the Tech section also, in a thread about 'Woodward' brakes....er....Wilwood. 

You may find conversion kits for the 8.25 but you will not find any 'performance' brake kits. 

Even Wilwood does not have the 8.25 listed as an axle for which they have a kit for. 

I called Wilwood last week to inform them, I also emailed them but have not heard back via email, I sent them a pic as verification. 

They are missing out on a wide variety of Chrysler/Jeep vehicles. 

I was wondering if anyone would even ask, but I suppose they don't know what they are looking at. 

This may be the only 8.25 fitted with -performance- brakes. 

Wilwood 140-10767 fits Chrysler 8.75 and 9.75 and Dana 60, those axles share the same mounting flange and offset as the 8.25. 

So, now you know. 

And of course in that thread you will find the obligatory -Wilwoods have no added value- statement, ignorance is tiresome.

I'll stick to pics. :P

Fronts up next. 

• 3 weeks later...

Brake cables came today, installed. 

If you are looking for high quality cables at a reasonable price, see below. 

These are good for any type of disc conversion, however the Wilwood does not need the return spring. 

The core is about 1.5 inches too long but that was my fault, I measured off the previous cables not taking into account that the Wilwood does not need as much reach between the mount and lever. 

ciXK34e.jpg

CkFFZEG.jpg

lq9w3T8.jpg

• 2 months later...

Guess you can see where this is going. 

Block is at the machine shop. Took me two years to find the block I wanted. 

This is supposedly a balanced assembly but it's going to the machine shop to be balanced and gone over. 

Its not the assembly I wanted but it's what's available, there are a lot of parts out of stock right now with no promise of delivery for months. 

I've got to pick up my flywheel and clutch next week...I got other goodies too including the balancer which will all go to the machinist. 

Trans will be TR4050. 

1yuMNt-Xm--l6LDPmA4x7ZrQO8zTL0dXY-vWQt0YwQF567tV03-EA5UUFn3lqSmloqYHJTHZPUHFIgHoB2BjxJHPU80vDTolmtG60rlK0RMA4TsG0JHnY69afaP9Rz1_jH4p70QmY35pDydlgXPb6W9YtM_puj3flUt9X-8PsNeSjUwPxRZ6_WgLD41SG9veqam2Ob6C8sVFKlobZViKNBIPGDOJmQNzVndxN0bBmev_Q3nnH8WBFys9moEH68JChX47j3Qm59i1U73JPtsWdzHzuQ9L-Il49DJFGKKcFB7Zaw0v-CeTfDOOochjZhZVdKaBwl-mlUXKF1Fcu_bziwn4COZ0AQoxhQkebp8-uMttlbAu-Mq8rQnVSVQhRHlVoaBWgtm8v8lnjCGUn6_7ogVxuvV8H98DOkAST2wWXNBhmYwQvjLdMjzK479tshA3H2ZLckMYlWAD2SdEb0LoY7195ePHuhvqn5nQbaBVkW-3W5t6x_4vU5hU6KEjGkBAcPlEc-GdumRiz3iU7MRX5myUpjGSiOaryjfSSLEWexpkXzxCmKriQ4ip1X7h5LXbCdzNzN96vtnblOFxvILSKN15fTI2S8erKAKLgNN-MWdhD-T4lxKLByPnieD59F4eyBuJNsLsfVj2-3_i_TBSZe1s-QMFRF8Bd_zQgC7voLYxFjeAgDCjtVoL14lkHaf-5U-U0Djcay5EZCO5aNPBWpmUTw=w958-h454-no?authuser=0