Project 4 seat MJ, Killed in the womb.

Let me introduce you to my MJ, a 1992 Carabobo, Venezuela built Jeep, XJ owner for many years always had a desire to add an MJ to the fleet. Saw an ad on the website Autoscout24. Mainly European vehicles. I spied an MJ in the Canary Island of Tenerife. After swapping a few Emails with the vendor I hopped on a flight to Tenerife South, which for you who are not too familiar with the terrain the Canaries are a small volcanic Islands off the coast of West Africa. 

After a protracted bus journey to the north of the Island i met the vendor, we did the deal and spent the next day effecting the usual export crap, filling in useless forms that no one will ever want to see. Parted with the Euros required and set sail from Santiago de la Cruz on the ferry. Some 60 hours later arrived in Cadiz, southern Spain.

The Comanche Laredo, 4 litre 4x4 5 speed manual never missed a beat up the motorways through Spain and France and two days later and some 2500kms from Cadiz was back in the UK. Incidentally total mileage is about 80K kms, about 60, thousand miles, not much in 22 years. It has not had a hard life and is pretty well unmarked, good paint, no dings, no rust, just like new in fact. amazing.

There are some odd details which differ from the US and UK spec, little things which were soon done. Side indicator markers, yellow front and rear indicators, rear fog light and rear seat seat belts. 

The reason for the rear seat belts is because this rare beast was fashioned by the design team at Jeep's Carabobo plant to combat the introduction by Datsun (Nissan) and Toyota's pickup range with crew cab and king cab pickups, which as we all know have swept the World. Jeep's design team had a few attempts to come up with a four seater and the model that I have was built some time in 1992 and just as they had it signed off as being acceptable. Chrysler pulled the MJ line to concentrate on the Dodge Laredo instead.

This vehicle hung around at Chrysler's main dealer in Caracas Messrs Rustiaco, who still sell Jeeps and Mercs and was eventually sold to a Spanish guy who was working in Bolivia and Venezuela. When his work contract came to and end in 1997 he sput the MJ and his furniture and personal effect in a container to be sent to Tenerife. This container disappeared for over a year, but eventually turned up and they were re-united, Jeep none for wear.

Jeep used as his fun ride until personal, domestic and work reasons lead to the advert in Autoscout 24 and the rest is detailed above.

The vehicle is now ready to have affixed it's UK registration plates, and thereby a problem has arrison. I don't have too much in the way of paperwork and the UK DVLA require evidence of it's built date. the VIN number is 8YFFJ26VXPV 077298 if anyone can decipher this VIN number to an actual build date I should be very grateful. 

Does anyone know of any more 4 seater MJ's in the World.

Check out the pics  http://imgur.com/a/IL9Qc

0nswWLW.jpeg

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is probably the most unique and fascinating MJ I've ever seen. A 92 4.0/5speed 4x4 Metric Ton would be exceptional on its own, and this is on an entirely different scale. We need those interior pics :drool:

I love it! So cool to find a super unique if not one of a kind MJ! I gotta say.... I'd consider this modification to my dually project if I could find another cab like that.

I believe the builder moved the bed forward toward the cab a couple inches when they put this together. The rear wheel opening looks to be off center of the rear wheel. Rear bumper gap looks bigger than stock.

Hope to see interior pics as well!

Bravo to ya for snatching this up! Enjoy it!

Well Guys, I can see why you don't like it, but it had to be saved for posterity. Look at the problem from Jeep's point of view. The MJ as a 2wd or 4 wd truck was not too popular in the World outside the US, When the Japs came up with a crew cab and King Cab versions of their trucks. Opening a new option for the user who wanted a family friendly pick up. Having given the design boys at Carabobo a task this was the best that they could come up with, perhaps firing the decision to axe the MJ line in favour of the Dodge Laredo.

I will take some interior pics and upload soon, As you have gathered I am having a problem getting an actual build date for the truck,seems to be important to the British DVLA, they want a manufacturers declaration, on their headed notepaper and in English, or failing that a declaration from a recognized Owners Club, just like the Comanche Club. That's why I am appealing to any Member who can help me accomplish this task 

That's a really cool truck that, frankly, I never knew existed.  Good call on saving her  :thumbsup:.  Can't wait to see more pictures. 

Would the DVLA accept an approximate build date, based on the engine serial #, stamping dates in the sheet metal components, etc?  The engine has a production date code on it that is only a few weeks ahead of the truck build.  She looks like she's been well maintained and is rust free.  Off the top of my head I can think of one area with an exact date stamp.  The driver's side wheel well has a few different stampings welded together and, on my '92, one of those has an actual production date stamped into the sheet metal.  I can go look for the exact location but, if memory serves, nothing needs to be disassembled to see it.

Been in the Man Cave to take the interior pictures as requested. The rear canopy is fibreglass and it would appear that the  front of the tub has been cut and welded back in just prior to the wheel arches, The height of the rear floor also matches the finished tub floor. I have attached as many random pics to give you an idea how they constructed it, Surely there must be someone out there that can contribute to our understanding of this project vehicles's life. Would be good to know. Incidentally the raer tub has been LineX'ed The "arm rest" between the front two seats is actually a jump seat for a small person, no seat belt.

Check out the pics here...http://imgur.com/a/3JL4h#iOVNGN2

Chrysler should be able to provide the selling dealer and original in-service date.  I'd start with the Jeep customer care line:

1-877-426-5337

Also have you pulled the door panels?  If there's a build sheet with the truck it's typically behind the driver's side door panel.

Ok, so I'll restate what I said previously... it's not something I'd prefer if it had been mass produced, however, this is a unique find.  Judging by the replies here, no one has ever seen anything like this before.  You have what I can assume is the rarest, factory built MJ, ever.  Also, if it's really got a build date of 1993 as Don has noted, that is even cooler, since the last known MJs built that we're all aware of were in '91 for the '92 year model.

It reminds me of a Chevy Avalanche, though.