Project 4 seat MJ, Killed in the womb.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That rear bumper is awesome. Never seen one that wasn't rusted out, dented, or twisted. Don't care much for the door mirrors. Wonder why the mirrors were switched? Truly a rare find. Any pics of the underneath of the truck? Anyway welcome to the club.

Ok, so I'll restate what I said previously... it's not something I'd prefer if it had been mass produced, however, this is a unique find.  Judging by the replies here, no one has ever seen anything like this before.  You have what I can assume is the rarest, factory built MJ, ever.  Also, if it's really got a build date of 1993 as Don has noted, that is even cooler, since the last known MJs built that we're all aware of were in '91 for the '92 year model.

It reminds me of a Chevy Avalanche, though.

Small little bite sized tiny itty bitty nitpick: There a few hundred MJs produced in 1992, but the vast majority of MY1992 trucks were built in 1991. "Real" '92s are quite highly coveted indeed.

A '93 MJ is very, very, very interesting if it's true. I wonder if it was made in a factory or stuck together by a bunch of guys. The added on parts of the interior look pretty rudimentary - makes sense, considering this probably is a one-off prototype.

Side note: I've always wondered what a true extended cab MJ would look like. This is way cool, though.

By the way, I hope someone here can help you get what you need to import/register it,

absolutely amazing vehicle that I hope gets all the attention & preservation it deserves!

Good luck!

First thing I thought of when I saw the pics on Pirate was the old Toyota Trekker/Trailblazers

scan0001.jpg

anyone else remember these?

they were pickups with the back cut out and a cap bonded on + carpeted  interior added.

Seems like this was done the same way, only to cover a smaller portion of the bed.

I really love this thing :)

ive seen these add a cab on before on older chevys and dodge and a few fords on long bed extended cabs. imagine a ford f350 4 door long bed with the add a cab.if i see the guy tomorrow ill take a pic i always see him driving.

Winnebago coverted the Trekkers for Toyota,

I wonder if Chrysler Jeep did the work on yours in house,

or if they farmed it out,

they worked with Winnebago when they made those camper Jeeps, right?

scan0002.jpg

scan0004.jpg

http://www.toyotatrekker.com/new_page_1.htm

I've seen these before...there's a few a these Trolling around miami...

Are we sure this is a Venezuelan built vehicle? Ive seen before where a vehicle is assembled or changed somewhere else then is assigned an arbitrary VIN number for local titling purposes. Maybe could you comb over this thing with a fine tooth comb and see if you can find a stamped VIN starting with a "1"? If it did start out as a Toledo built truck there should be some kind of American VIN on it somewhere. Other than all that, like was said, it might be time to contact Chrysler, though in my experience with them, all they will do is the same I can do here at the dealer... run the VIN through their database and have it come up as "NOT FOUND". Which then points you back to Venezuela. You might look up Chrysler Jeep Venezuela and contact them directly with your issue, maybe have a translator with you when you do this in case they no hablo ingles. ( I'm assuming they speak spanish and not portugues ). If you can find an american VIN on it somewhere feel free to PM me and Ill run it through Chrysler for you. Good luck and let us know how this turns out.

The vehicle was definitely built at Jeep's Carabobo Plant in Valencia, Venezuela,  some time in 1992, although the 10th letter P indicates 1993.  

VIN 8YFFJ26VXPV077298

Region                  1st letter 8 is         South Amenica

Country                 1-2          8Y         Venezuela

Manufacturor         2-3          Y8         Unknown

Model specific       4-8          FJ26V    Unknown

Check digit               9            X           Invalid

Year                       10            P           1993   (Interesting 'cos no MJ's were made in 1993)

Assembly Plant      11            V           Valencia?

Serial No                12-17                   077298

This VIN info was gleaned AnalogX VIN View web pages, and this is as far as I've got. Other VIN tracing websites seem to come up with less. Currently I am trying the get confirmation of any build year out of Chrysler Venezuela and have got the assistance of the Vendor a Spanish National who is on the case too.I have lots of documentation which suggests that the built date was in 1992, but the Brit DVLA require a document on Chrysler's headed business paper stating the precise date when this contraption was created. and in English too. No scanned or photo copies allowed.

One theory is that was just a design exercise perhaps by apprentices or trainee designers, then as the MJ line had been pulled they lost interest and the vehicle was eventually sold to Sr. Obanos in September 1993 as a "new" old stock vehicle by the Chrysler main dealer in Caracas, Rustiacos.

Rustiacos to date have not responded, but now Sr. Obanos is on the case we should at least have a re-issue of the original sale docs. 

I would like to take this opportunity to thank all those who have contributed to solving this mystery. I am sure that all will be revealed in the fullness  of time

Big Thumbs up to you my friend  :thumbsup:

Any of the previous posters who say that this is "Ugly".....shows their ignorance at your find.... a (SO FAR) 1 OF A KIND FACTORY BUILT MJ....and they say ugly.....

for the posters who said negative....post a pic of that piece of junk MJ you have in your driveway beside this one and we will all vote..... :thumbsup:

as far as Comanche's go this ranks up there with Yenko or a Shelby........You are a lucky man to own this truck.

Any of the previous posters who say that this is "Ugly".....shows their ignorance at your find.... a (SO FAR) 1 OF A KIND FACTORY BUILT MJ....and they say ugly.....

for the posters who said negative....post a pic of that piece of junk MJ you have in your driveway beside this one and we will all vote..... :thumbsup:

as far as Comanche's go this ranks up there with Yenko or a Shelby........You are a lucky man to own this truck.

1.) Just because it's "one of a kind", doesn't mean it's exempt from being ugly.

2.) Just because we think it's ugly, doesn't mean we drive a piece of junk MJ and/or are jealous.

3.) This isn't a pissing contest, so stop trying to make it one.

I realize the unique factor, and for that reason, I respect it and the new owner for having obtained it.  Does not mean I have to like the styling or design of it, whether it be a one-off prototype or mass produced.

The OP came here looking for help trying to pin down build details so he can register his unique Comanche in the UK. He didn't come here to solicit members' lame opinions concerning his MJ's appearance. Besides being irrelevant, immaterial, and off-topic, no one gives a damn. Unless you have some worthwhile advice to contribute that will help out the OP, don't post.

1.) Just because it's "one of a kind", doesn't mean it's exempt from being ugly.

2.) Just because we think it's ugly, doesn't mean we drive a piece of junk MJ and/or are jealous.

3.) This isn't a pissing contest, so stop trying to make it one.

I realize the unique factor, and for that reason, I respect it and the new owner for having obtained it.  Does not mean I have to like the styling or design of it, whether it be a one-off prototype or mass produced.

Exactly.

The OP came here looking for help trying to pin down build details so he can register his unique Comanche in the UK. He didn't come here to solicit members' lame opinions concerning his MJ's appearance. Besides being irrelevant, immaterial, and off-topic, no one gives a damn. Unless you have some worthwhile advice to contribute that will help out the OP, don't post.

Relax. Your opinion matters just as much as everyone else. He has been helped.

Now settle down Guys, Having an opinion is only natural and being able to express it is healthy. I really appreciate the responses that have come to me from the Colonies, it just shows the the legacy of free speech remains.

I did indeed come to the Comanche Club with my problem, and whilst the mystery of it's build date may never be known, be sure I will get it registered in the UK by one means or another, trying the direct route just emphasizes the difficulties that happen with time and language disparities.

​Indeed, I had hope that the VIN number might have been read, or meant something to somebody, but now I really think that this wild child was born out of wedlock has had an unusual start in being, but still deserves it's place in history.

It had been hoped that the correct information had been forthcoming, but when you realize that Fiat now call Chrysler Jeeps tune and the 21 year passage of time it is not really surprising that such information is not readily forthcoming. I had hope not to be ripping up carpets and removing door cards looking for pieces of stamped tin or bits of paper, but looks like this is the last remaining option.

Once again love it or hate thanks for your efforts and if there is some aged Venezuelan assembly worker who remembers "the Beast" being constructed at Carabobo Valencia Plant just let me know.. Thanks Guys. I'll keep you posted to what happens in the fullness of time..... John