Mjotm - June, 2014 - Ronbo's '92 Longbox

How cow!... It's June already! I don't know about anyone else, but this whole year just keeps flying by. Seems as though there's always just too much work that needs to be done every year only to have it all sneak up and slip by. Projects get put on hold... time slips by even farther... it's just a revolving door of "yup... I'll get to it before I put the truck away for winter". I sometimes wonder how much I could actually get done if I just stuck with it until I was completely done. For one, I would assume these projects wouldn't just linger around. Might just be amazed at how fast I'd move from one thing to the next. Will it happen for me?... probably not. Ever notice one of those builds that seems to pop up and just keep moving right along? I know I have! CC, this month your MJOTM goes to...

Ronbo's '92 Longbox!!!

YEAR/MODEL

1992 basic long bed

ENGINE/PERFORMANCE

Stock 4 Liter H.O.

DRIVETRAIN

AX15 five speed

Dana 30 front axle with Chrome Molly shafts

Ford 8.8 rear with disk brakes

4.88 gearing in the axels with ARB Air Lockers front and rear

Slip Yoke Eliminator in the transfer case and new rear drive shaft by Fleet Pride

COOLING

New stock radiator

Planning on extra electric fan soon

ELECTRICAL/IGNITION

Stock

SUSPENSION/STEERING

5.5" TNT Custom Lift with SOA swap in the rear

INTERIOR

Switched on the bench seat for buckets

Tuffy locking center console

Cobra CB

BRAKES

New Pads and rotors front and rear.

LIGHTING

Stock for now

EXTERIOR

Stock Hunter Green Metallic paint for now

Paint has places where the clear coat is gone and needs to be repainted

WHEELS/TIRES

Cooper Discoverer 35x12.50 mud terrains

MISCELLANEOUS

I built the rock sliders, roll bar and added standoffs and kick outs on the rear bumper and rock sliders. The front bumper is a JCR weld together winch bumper and the rear bumper was fabricated by my friend Willy for his MJ prior to a bobbing of his bed. I have done all the work on the truck myself except for setting up the gears and building the rear drive shaft. The truck was stock when I started working on it 6 months ago.

Remember That One Time?... Tell Us Your Best MJ Story

I went over to my buddy's house as I wanted to make a box to house the ARB air compressor. We spent about three hours designing, laying out and fabricating the box. When it was in the shape I wanted with a removable lid I put it together and was holding it. This is when Willy says we built an ammo can. I looked at it and realized that he was right. The funny thing is I had 30 ammo cans in my shop and never thought about using one. I went home that night and the compressor fit just fine in one. We still laugh at ourselves about this.

CC is Awesome!... Why Do You Think So?

This is a great site with lots of useful information. I love to read everyone's build threads and I have stolen ideas for my own build. I use my truck to go 4 wheeling but I appreciate all the different types of builds on the site. I want to commend the site master for starting and continuing to support this site.

BUILD THREAD

●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●

First off, a huge congratulations on being MJOTM! Second, really awesome truck you've got there. The fact that everything was built by you in no more than a garage is really something. I take a look at some examples of products and finished vehicles that come out of professional shops and I'd put so much of what you've done right up there with them. Third, where did you come from?! Only being a member here since this last November you really came out of the gate swingin'! Really can't be said enough the great job you've done with the truck in such a short amount of time. Congratulations, dude! Enjoy your month!

-Ben

Click here to view the article

Thanks for the compliments. I could not have done everything I wanted to do without the help and advice of my friend Willy. Still lots to do so keep watching the build thread.

Ron

Honestly, at first I wasn't too crazy about a green '92 long bed getting turned into a trail rig... how very wrong I was. This truck is absolutely fantastic! The level of skill and craftsmanship that's gone into this is just incredible. Congrats with MJOTM, and I'll be looking forward to seeing more of this badass rig in the future! . :MJ 1: .

Echo: Honestly, at first I wasn't too crazy about a green '92 long bed getting turned into a trail rig....

I still am. I too agree the workmanship is outstanding and for that an MJOTM is justified. I also admire you stating up front your master plan for your rare 92, and you have done that very well. Can not help being a bit sad about it though.