Why Is This At $8,000?

glundblad

I don't understand.  I am not trying to be judgmental but why is the bidding at $8k?  Plus the reserve isnt met yet.  What makes it a baja truck? Or a trophy truck for that matter.

I am serious.  I don't get it.  To me it is a lifted mj.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jeep-Comanche-Show-Truck-Baja-Race-Trophy-Truck-lifted-4x4-xj-mj/201084963148?_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.RVI%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131017132637%26meid%3D6741712377698628395%26pid%3D100033%26prg%3D20131017132637%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D201084963148

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think that truck could be built for the asking price of $8K...... dunno what the reserve is, but a quality body and paint job alone is $3-4K.  Add in the price of the original truck, suspension, tires, wheels, fab work....... it does add up.   A full set of  Hanneman fenders shipped is $1,400 or more....   If anyone has ever tried to fit them to the standard this guy has...... you'll understand the hours of work that has been spent just in those efforts.  Full axle rebuilds get expensive quick.  

That's a $12K truck.  I'd love to own it.

No, there's 12k invested IN the truck. I wouldn't pay over 6k. One man's dream build is another man's overpriced, professionally done ( :ack: ) showpiece. It's 'Baja' cuz of the flares. You know what else is 'Baja'? Taco Bell and Mtn. Dew.

A full set of hanneman bedsides and front fenders shipped is under $1000.

That thing has $2000 at list price in tires, rims, suspension. $500 in trans/tcase/clutch, whatever bolt on parts on motor, $500 in bumpers at best, a $#!&ty tailgate, $400 in cheap "racing" seats, and whatever the doors cost.

That's $4400 plus paint.

That thing cost $6500 at best to build, and the entire suspension is JUNK. Rock krawler makes some horrible stuff. Look at the "long arm" mounts, enough said.

I have to agree.  The amount of time and money it takes to get something to a certain level is irrelevant when you compare it to it's value.  Just because you invest time and money in an old truck doesn't make it worth that.   I put a lot of money in mine.  That doesn't make it worth that much. BTW, It may be the sheet metal but to me it looks dented.

If mine were for sale, I would ask whatever I could get out of it.  I am just a little surprised that people are actually bidding it up that high. "Baja Race Trophy Truck"?  Come on.  Someone is going to be pretty disappointed.

$#!& i had like 10k in my xj build doesnt take long to spend it. i sold my xj so i could build my mj i only got 3800 for my xj.. the 10k i spent did not include the price of my xj lol 100 bucks

That thing cost $6500 at best to build, and the entire suspension is JUNK. Rock krawler makes some horrible stuff. Look at the "long arm" mounts, enough said.

I take it this comes from experience, not just an opinion..? There several of us here who run rk stuff and IMO, I wouldn't of went another route. It's stout as hell and performs flawlessly.

I have an MJ with the RK 3 link and an MJ with the Clayton 3 link sitting at the shop.

The RK stuff may work ok but it cannot be described as "stout as hell" when compared to other systems.

The arms are smaller,joints are smaller, arms are also alot shorter then the clayton.

The RK uses a bracket on each side in front of the stock crossmember where clayton replaces the entire crossmember with one with integrated mounts.

You could put $10,000 in restoring a Yugo. But that doesn't make it a $10,000 Yugo. 

So I should put my "Project Yugo" on hold...... :dunno: ........

Been around the block enough to see crappy lift companies.

Like monkeyboy said....small joints. Length doesn't matter if uca and lca are proportional, but mounting does...and 4 bolts with crush sleeves isnt something I will bet my life on

Fellows, a fair price is what a willing buyer and a willing seller agree on.  One man's trash is another man's treasure.  I would not waste a single quarter any truck like that.  But it really turns some people ON and they are willing to part with their money.  And some people like "the look" but don't know how to turn a wrench, so they just have to pay for the finished product (or do without).   Fine with me.

Now, this is Ebay, so let's see if the winning bidder performs or if he/she is just an Ebay Flake.  In which case, you will see the truck listed again.

Fellows, a fair price is what a willing buyer and a willing seller agree on.  One man's trash is another man's treasure.  I would not waste a single quarter any truck like that.  But it really turns some people ON and they are willing to part with their money.  And some people like "the look" but don't know how to turn a wrench, so they just have to pay for the finished product (or do without).   Fine with me.

Now, this is Ebay, so let's see if the winning bidder performs or if he/she is just an Ebay Flake.  In which case, you will see the truck listed again.

and again.... and again... :eek: