What Was Your Worst Mechanical Failure?

TheDirtyJeep401

Guess things like this happen when you are bored and have a lot of time to think.

What are some of your guys worst mechanical failures on your vehicles?

I'll start even though mine is probably not the worst.

I was on my way home from Walmart one day, and at a stop light, I felt something fly off in the engine compartment, battery light came on and power steering went out. Most people would probably pull over and check it out. I decided to go home. Drove it 1 to 1 1/2 miles home, popped the hood, and the belt was missing water pump pulley was shattered.

Didn't leave me on the side of the road though, and never has.

Interested to see what has happened to others. .

Heading home from work (500km drive) ... oil light came on about halfway home. Figured since it was the work beater I'd just chance it and giver ... threw something about 3/4 of the way home. Lots of smoke, LOTS of noise. Lucky it happened near my sisters place. Had it towed and went home. Bought another $500 beater next week for the trip back up island.

Not really all that mechanical, but so far I've been lucky and have not had anything major happen on-road. Even my old Talon with the super leaky turbo that I fixed several times waited until after I sold it to blow. Anyways...

When I went to buy my J10, I drove it home. A 4hr one way trip of 240 miles (8hr 480mi trip total). Once we got into the last part of the trip I kept hearing something metallic rattling under the truck, like a loose washer on a bolt or something. I didn't dwell on it too hard since the trip was going so smooth. Well after stopping for fuel for the last time, the thing was kind of hard to start, but it did and we pulled back out onto the highway and kept going. Not too long after I could have sworn I heard that bolt or whatever fall off and hit the road then bounce and hit under the bed somewhere (so glad it didn't hit the vehicle that was behind me since it was my grandfather's Escape). A few days later I went to start the truck to take it and get the title taken care of and all that, but it wouldn't start. Get my gramps to come and try to start the thing while I look around. Here the starter is just bouncing around under the truck, hanging by one bolt. So glad we didn't have to stop for fuel one more time.

This is more of an 'almost worst mechaincal failure'   Back when i knew just enough to be dangerous, I removed both front axle shafts on my truck trying to figure out why my 4wd wasnt working. I drove it around the block one time and parked it back in the work shop. I jacked up the front end and noticed that both front tires were now a little cocked. Both unit bearings had become unpressed and by some stroke of dumb luck had not let go entirely during my jaunt around the block.

I can't remember what my worst mechanical failure in a car /truck was. I CAN remember my worst failure in a airplane. In 1960 I was stationed in Spain, in Elizondo. I had rented the SPanish flying club A/C I belonged to and took a buddy up for a aerial tour of the Pyrenee's. Had a bird strike at 400 meters killing the engine. There are no open fields in the Pyrenees. Slowing it down as much as I dared I picked a relatively soft spot and dropped it in. Gear got caught in the brush and it nosed over. Me and my buddy walked away unscathed. The plane suffered damaged landing gear, busted prop and torn engine mount with lots of under belly skin rash. :cheers:

I was east bound on I-90, just coming out of the last right hand curve coming off of 4th of July Pass doing right at 65mph.  The right rear dropped like I had a blowout.  Started to pull onto the shoulder of the road and the right rear dropped more.  Something hit the right front fender and then I saw the tire,brake drum and axle bounding down the road in front of me with cars dodging it as it crossed both lanes and came to a stop against the center divider about 250 yards down the road.  I figured I had a c-clip fail on the D35.  When I retrieved it I saw that it wasn't a c-clip D35 and that the bearing had failed and come apart.  Called a friend to come get me and the parts and hit the parts house on the way home.  Replaced the bearing and returned and installed the axle etc.  Every time I go thru that corner with the MJ now I kind of wait to see what will happen this time!!  :laughin:

Worst failure I've had was in an old 92 xj sport i used to have. Did a tune up and decided to get the Bosch Platinum +4 plugs, good wires and coil and everything else. It ran good for a few days then one day about a mile or so from home all of a sudden I heard a pop, lost almost all power, and started billowing extremely thick white smoke from the exhaust. Limped it home fumigating the entire road and was only able to do about 5-10 MPH. Start checking things over and decided to pull the plugs to check them since they were the most recent thing that was done. Pulled #1 and #2 both fine, pulled #3 and it looked a little strange, the entire center electrode and porcelain and everything was missing. Looked in the plug hole and couldn't see anything so pulled the head to see what the damage was, thankfully the valves and head were ok but the dish on the piston was absolutely beat to hell and a hole going through it as well as the skirt broken off one side. So got to rebuild it with all new pistons, rods, bearings, rings, and champion copper plugs. After the rebuild it ran like a champ and could almost white smoke the 34" ltb's I had on it.

1972 VW Beetle: spun a rod bearing on the highway at 80 MPH, limped it home.

Same 1972 Beetle after replacing engine: broke a fan belt which hit the fuel line putting gasoline on the hot exhaust = FIRE

1984 VW Rabbit Diesel: broke a timing belt, bent all the valves, junked it.

1959 VW Microbus Heavilly modified/ lowered: broke a pushrod, sounded like engine was coming apart, towed home

1976 Ford Maverick: rear bumper fell off as I was driving it home after I bought it. Mom was following, laughed her but off.

Same 1976 Maverick: broke a belt in a tire on a long trip, tuned around and limped 100 miles back home on the shoulder.

1985 Ford Ranger: broke timing belt, coasted into a friends shop, replaced the belt in the parking lot.

Late one afternoon me & mrs brought our new 2 us 66 corvette home from a 3-4 week long bodyshop repaint - She drove vette & I followed - -  A brake cylinder had started leaking & next to no brakes as she pulled into our garage - - Wonder of wonders she used parking brake to stop - Then back 2 normal: Didn't tell me - - - - Was now getting dark - didn;t fool with or drive further - Car looked fantastic at repair place - - Early next AM - Wonderful, warm, glorious, life is good type spring morning & Off to work - Fire up in N, watch gauges come alive & listen to rumble of factory side exhaust in our small garage - Release ebrake, noticed nothing wrong using slight brake pedal pressure- Put in R & idle out into alley then pull pwr glide selector into L - small amount throttle getting onto Moore street & nail it 4 a block r so - let low range pull it down alla time loving the sound of those side pipes - (pretty inconsiderate of neighbors/cops in my youth) - Quick side to side approaching Moore & 6th, run stop sign - floor it again & go roar[ng down 6th street - - - Now 6th & Moore is at the top of 6th street hill - Goiing East its topo is like letter J - 8 r 9 blocks Steep down then short up at a RR crossing - - -  I will never forget that ride - - Went airborne at the tracks - landed flat - Amount of exploding interior dust/debris pancaking caused was an additional fright - - Nothing bad afterwards - Got stopped in a few blocks, calmed dwn & crept off a mile r so 2 work - Late model 66 with console p brake handle made 4 a quick right handed grab - probably made the diff in garage & slowing a little down hill after usual multiple stompings, in disbelief, of a 2 the floor, nichts, nada brake pedal - - - -  Had everthing - pads, shoes, cylinders, lines, everything ('cepting wife) - replaced that weekend.

. :MJ 2: .

Does a popped tire count as a mechanical failure? In 1971 I was living in Raton, NM. My younger brother was in uncle sam's flying club stationed at Lowery AFB, Denver. One night he call's me up and wants to know if I have something he can borrow, his car's in the shop and he has no way to get to work. So 8 o'clock at nite I've got a 1953 Jeep station wagon attached to my '65 Dodge camper special with a tow bar heading for Denver. I had just passed several cars and getting back into my lane when the Right front tire on the Jeep blew. I was doing 'a little over 75'. Immediately I'm swerving all over the road and trying to get stopped without wrecking. I got slowed down to about 50 or so and thot I was going to be OK when I spotted a guard rail coming up. I estimated the guard rail would catch the Dodge just about in the right door area so I grabbed the wheel with both hands and locked the brakes. The whole thing spun around 180 degrees and rolled one and a half times into the median. The tow bar separated and the Jeep was 100 feet farther from the Dodge lying upside down in St Charles river. All three were totaled. The Dodge, the Jeep and the tow bar. I had a bump on the head but was otherwise OK.

I completely lost primary brakes and was saved by the bypass line and manual transmission.

That reminds me as well. Lost brakes once while on my way through town to Lowes to get some parts for the farm. I was one stop light away and lost 'em, no way was I turning around. I continued on to Lowes and then drove home. Pulled it into the barn and a rear brake line had burst, fluid was just spraying all over the floor. Somehow I don't recall having that bad of a time driving it home, was an auto so no manual help. We all had a good laugh though.

nothing serious for me. once in my old street junker 97 5spd maxima the radiator decided to blow up at 130mph at 2am flying through downtown memphis. it wasnt a big deal but at the time i was running hoodless. its was definitely a "oh $#!& moment" for sure when all the sudden i heard BOOM, then $#!& pinging everywhere and couldnt see out the windshield going that fast haha

90 YJ - AX15 locked up in 5th gear 30 miles from the house. Drove home in 4Lo.

03 TJ - Blew out a front brake line, in a college town, on game day, going down a hill. I down shifted to 2nd, at 45mph to get it slowed down. Took back roads home.

03 TJ - Front brake caliper froze up and hour from home. Pulled the caliper, shoved a chunk of wood between the pads and tied it up above the coil spring and drove home with one front brake

93 XJ - Water pump bearing went out, taking the belt with it. It took several hours to drive that last 10 miles home.

Had a V-8 Engine professionally rebuilt, during the break-in period driving the car very gently, slowed down by down-shifting and the engine blew #1 rod through the side of the block. It seems there was a a microscopic crack in the rod were the wrist pin is located. So of course no one took responsibility, not the machine shop, they didn't inspect the rods, the engine shop that assembled the engine did not take responsibility because the rods were stock factory unit and of course the vehicle was out of factory warranty.  

Drove my S-10 pick-up to another state, ( around 600 mile round-trip), I returned home and while pulling into the driveway, the truck quite running. Acted like it was out of gas. Hmmmm. Took my 2 days to find the problem. I was too busy looking at everything under the hood, filter, lines, etc. I decided to check on the fuel pump, which is in the gas tank. Hmmm could smell raw gas. ( side note: on a 94 S-10, you need to remove the bed in order to remove the gas tank or sending unit)  Removed the bed,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

The entire top of the gas tank was peppered with rust holes. One of the several steel tubes that come out of the top of the fuel sending unit had rusted away and broke. Upon checking, it seems this was a major issue with many Chebby trucks, especially the S-10. I junked the truck, the cost for a sending unit $900.00, No aftermarket or salvage yard parts available ( because it was a common problem and everyone was grabbing up salvage parts)  & $150 for a gas tank and another few hundred dollars, not including labor for steel fuel lines, filter, etc...  The truck only had 140,000 miles but the cost to repair was more than the truck was worth.

Let's see...

Hydro locked a 4.0 in Attica, drove that jeep there. Had the sense to shut off the instant I felt the rpm shift, spent a half hour pulling out and 25 minutes pushing water out of the cylinders. Ran fine, but was deep enough to put water in most cavities...diff breathers were higher, but trans, tcase, engine were underwater.

Same 4.0 two months later. I never bothered changing the oil, trans fluid, tcase fluid. Was my dd but had company van and didn't have much purpose in putting miles on the truck. Didn't care about the motor, had a stroker to install. Company van was down for repair, had the only snow of the winter, got cold. Drove to work, on the way home, locked up engine. Pulled plugs, boss brought breaker bar, 19mm socket, BFH, map torch, and kerosene. Filled and lit cylinders, beat on hb bolt with bar and BFH. Got it loose, p it plugs in, drove home, installed new motor and trans, rebuilt tcase. Lost most of each cylinder wall, a good amount of piston, burned the top off one piston.

3800. Made it 4 hours away on my way to beaterjeep's place, launched countershaft in ax5. Front bearing failed, only left with 4th gear. Had a family member come get me and tow home. Learned to rebuild a manual trans the next day. Launched 5 ax5 and as many Dana 35 in that one. Also lost a rod bearing in it.

Was driving the Manche to work one morning and stopped at the light. On the green I proceeded throught the intersection, or tried to truck did not want to move but then caught and started going with a nice loud BANG CRUNCH and lotsa loud noises. Long story short had it towed home and pulled the tranny to find one of  the ears of the torque convertor had broken off in the tranny. Yup time for a rebuild!

My first car was a 1969 Pontiac Firebird.  I built a Ram Air IV 400 for it but didn't upgrade the transmission.  It let go on Hwy 303 in Arlington Texas, and I did the AAMCO commercial thing and left parts down the road.

Ripped the teeth off the ring gear in the Porsche....  drove it home. It made clunking noises all the way. Gonna happen when you push 300HP through a transmission designed for 100HP.

The Comanche has had the harmonic balancer fail, the heater control valve pipe split open,and the alternator fail.... and I had the trans cooler line come off the radiator because of a broken hose clamp.