what do u do for a living?

cocy

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I'm noticing that too... Officially I'm only in a "developmental" role, so really just an intern, and my term is until the end of March. They couldn't find someone for the position all summer, and they were desperate so instead they got me. But then they'll have the full five-year Project Coordinator position open again, and they say it'll be mine if I want it. At this point if it doesn't get better, I'm not sure I will want it, or any other public sector job ever again.

• 1 month later...

Technical college welding instructor

I'd like to add fabricator/welder for Alexandria Aircraft, Bellanca along with plenty of on the side metal work.
Time to update soon... I've given up on trying to mold the next generation of welders as a teacher. Just can't do it anymore and I'm tired of being responsible for those who really don't care to be there. So I had a weld test and interview at a local shop that builds bridges and completely knocked it out of the park. Looks like I'm going back into the private sector! Not overly crazy about it, but the shop is all of a quarter mile from our house and it's just too easy to move into this job. On the plus side, the company also has a plant outside of Denver. No welding, but it could make for an easy transfer for something temporary in the future.

I'm just a welder again and I'm only responsible for me... and I'm okay with that.

Banker.

After spending 7 years in to utilities field I am glad to have rerouted my career. I am now the Real Estate and Records Manager for a bank. The work demand is unlike anything I've done before. Anything from analyzing a budget, meeting with architects, getting codes reset, travelling across the state, removing trees and maintaining a corporate records database. It's a hodge podge position with some slow days but far more exciting days.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a welder. I'm a night shift plant supervisor but i also weld production on my line. 95% of the time i build OTIS elevators. so next time youre riding up or down in a building or on ship/air craft carrier or even riding a rollercoaster, think 'a fellow MJ owner might have built this' or if youre a farmer and use an Equipment Technologies sprayer tractor or have a Dixie Chopper mower or if you visit the new Vikings stadium in a couple years or if you go to Jack Daniels, Jim Beam, Wild Turkey or Buffalo Trace distilleries, ive probably had a small part in doing some work on all these projects. 

its a good job and I'm only 23 and ive had this position since i started there 3 years ago but i don't see myself staying there forever. just long enough for it to look good on a resume. 

But the most important thing Ive welded so far are the Hitches for all you awesome Comanche owners! 

Not exactly a living, but I'm a full time mechanical engineering student, part time math tutor. On the side I work on friends and family's cars and occasionally dabble in detailing. I would much rather be working than shoving my face in books all day.

Wide variety of people/occupations on here. Some sound very interesting.

Me, self employed for several years now. Mainly auto body. Mainly buying, fixing, reselling cars so I can work at my own pace. But do some customer and some fab work here and there. Getting older and worn out from doing this stuff, could use a change, or maybe an employee would help.

Currently I am working in a plant that manufactures the fiberglass reinforcements for fiber-optic cabling. Our products are mainly used for power cables and undersea cabling for oil rigs and such. I was a diesel mechanic, but the company that I was working for was so horrible to its employees that I just needed to change everything to cleanse my "work palatte" so to speak. This company I'm at now doesn't pay incredibly, but the benefits are phenomenal.

Currently I am working in a plant that manufactures the fiberglass reinforcements for fiber-optic cabling. Our products are mainly used for power cables and undersea cabling for oil rigs and such. I was a diesel mechanic, but the company that I was working for was so horrible to its employees that I just needed to change everything to cleanse my "work palatte" so to speak. This company I'm at now doesn't pay incredibly, but the benefits are phenomenal.

Corning?

As does my company, although it's been slowly declining since China has ramped up their fiber optic manufacturing. 

Well our plant is withing 15 mins of one of Cornings manufacturing plants and one of their research facilities. But there are rumors of them pulling out of the area. If that happens we'd lose a bit of business, but they only make up a small percentage of our customer base. About the same amount we send to them we also send over seas to Turkey, Brazil, Russia, and a few other South American companies.

• 1 month later...

Self employed CPA.  I prepare tax returns for small businesses and individuals.  As long as the govt keeps writing and re-writing the tax laws, I have job security.  As Ben Franklin once said: There are only two certainties in life, death and taxes.

(I'm not a mortician.) 

General Assistant for an R&D Scientist at Syngenta. We are the guys that use the new chemicals introduced into the market while also using new combinations that have not hit the market (if they even do) and rate the affect that these chemicals have on weeds and crops. Very fun job! When things slow down with our research I work on our farm and help a friend during harvest. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

2nd year aircraft maintenance engineer apprentice specializing in helicopters

update, licensed M2 Aircraft Maintenance Engineer, working on obtaining an M1 license now to grandfather in structural repair and avionics licenses as well

2nd year aircraft maintenance engineer apprentice specializing in helicopters

update, licensed M2 Aircraft Maintenance Engineer, working on obtaining an M1 license now to grandfather in structural repair and avionics licenses as well

I did my M1 last year because I needed to renew anyways.  Thus far I haven't used it for anything but at least it's on there before they change the rules again.  Well worth it for the minimal cost and the bit of time I had to invest.

• 2 months later...