An original owner

Hi, my name is Buck and I live in central Florida. I am the original owner of this '89 mj pioneer. It is a 2wd LB 4.0 5 speed with 241,500 on the ticker. I bought it in Kansas City and had it there for the first year and moved to Florida and have been here since. I had an '86 2.5 automatic before that and when I traded up to the 89 I had no idea I would still be driving it 20 years later. To say it's been a great truck is an understatement. I can't remember when I replaced the clutch, and the only complaint I've had is the clear coat breaking down here in the Florida sun. I had it painted 10 years ago and just got it back in Dec. for the 2nd paint job and I am so happy with the work the guy did. He said it will look even better after I wax it. For you off-roaders I am sorry to say this will never be a 4X4 swap. I am a musician (drummer/percussionist) and it hauls all my equipment without fail, well almost, one flat tire and one broken serpentine belt on the way to gigs, not bad for 20 years eh? Everything is stock although I am considering black rims after getting this paint job. The color is a little darker grey than original and the painter agreed to paint the bottom part and wheel wells black. It was his idea to paint the cowel black but I really like it. The first time I had it painted the pioneer stripes were removed and I was going to replace them and just liked it better w/o them. The aluminum topper is history (anybody want it?) and I was lucky enough to find a mint condition fiberglass topper in SC and had it shipped here. I'm in the process of painting it black, also will be spraying the bed. The bed slide will go back in and until then I'll be hauling equipment in the family Escape. I will look into rebuilding the engine in the future but it still runs great!

I have found so much information and inspiration on this forum so thank you all, I hope to pick some of your brains so sorry if I ask dumb questions along the way.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you all for all your compliments. I was embarassed when I picked up the truck from the paint shop at how neglected the inside was. I really cleaned it up and I am hoping to put a new stereo system in soon. Does anyone know if any 6X9 speakers will fit in behind the doors?

• 3 weeks later...

Here are a few pics with the new topper and bed slide put back in. I bought the topper from a guy in South Carolina for $100 and had it shipped here (u-ship.com) for $300. It was white and I sanded, primed and painted it black. I also sprayed the bedliner (rustoleum rattle can). I bought the bedslide off of craig's list last fall. It came out of a Dakota. It is a little short but I am not complaining, I picked it up for $225. I am hoping to put a new stereo in soon. Thanks for looking and hope to meet some of you in person someday.

• 1 month later...
Thank you all for all your compliments. I was embarassed when I picked up the truck from the paint shop at how neglected the inside was. I really cleaned it up and I am hoping to put a new stereo system in soon. Does anyone know if any 6X9 speakers will fit in behind the doors?

if you mean behind the seats on the B pilars YES they will but you will have to cut the plastics to fit them and you will need to make new speakers brackets to fit them

here is a pics of mine

hope it gives you ideas

• 1 year later...

Hello all, I haven't posted in a while. Although my mj is not my dd, I do use it to haul stuff.

I use our Ford Escape to go to most of my gigs but when I have to haul more than the Escape will handle, the mj comes to the rescue. As you can see, the bedslide is awesome to have. I cannot tell you how many times I banged the top of my head getting into the back of the truck, and since I got the bedslide, not one cranial injury.

Other than scheduled maintenance, the only thing I've added are helper springs. I do plan on getting new leaf springs down the road but I am happy how these have helped with the ride of the truck.

It is an aftermarket product that came out of a dakota. There are a few companies that make them. Mine is from Bedslide. I didn't think I would ever be able to afford one but I found this one on craigslist for 225. It came out of a dakota short bed, so between the wheel wells is the exact same. I think you can get them made for any size truck. Thanks for the compliments, I have enjoyed it for the last 21 1/2 years!

Thanks dirteatr, yes those are real miles. I drove it pretty hard until 04 when we got the Escape. It seems like it will take forever to get to a quarter million miles, sitting right now on 245+. Got it out on the interstate this morning, still feels good at 70mph.

Buck.

Thanks Brett. I bought it at George Ballas Motors on State Avenue in KCK in Dec. of '89. I always smile about that buy because we've all been taken at a dealership. It was a week before Christmas (good time to buy year end models), it was a record cold front for the week (-25 below temp, -70 wind chill), I pulled up in my '86 mj and I think they were pulling straws to see who would come out to meet me. There were 2 mjs exactly alike and they needed to move them both. By the time I got done, the saleswoman slammed the pen down on the paper and said "just sign here". I should have known it was a keeper, I was working at a hotel at the time and my truck was the only vehicle that would jump start all the tenants cars in the lot. Sorry, probably more info than you wanted!

By the way, yours will blow mine out of the water, but I do appreciate the kind words!

Buck.

• buxmj changed the title to An original owner