An original owner

Hello everyone, time for my yearly update.  Recently bought Brown Dog motor mounts and wow they are great!  I also bought Mean Lemons cables but have not had a chance to put them on yet.  I enjoy reading everyone else's updates but hardly adding to mine, sorry.  So much I would like to do but when money appears it quickly gets designated to other things...

Buck.  

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to the LKQ pick n pull on Sat in Daytona, less than half an hour drive, very easy to get there for me.  I got the mj up over 80 a few times and still feels good, no wobble.  I did get a hood and some smaller stuff for the ford escape, when I had time to look for some mj parts (well, xj parts, I doubt an mj will ever show up again at an LKQ) I had to leave.  I found a nice xj that one guy was pulling the brake booster and 2 other people were pulling the wheels, I wanted to get the throttle body but it was so hot and crowded, (40 % off for the weekend) I was miserable by then didn't want to wait for space.  When I got back out to the parking lot there were not any spots left, glad I got there early.  

Buck.

• 5 months later...

Hello everyone, trying to do some small things, had bought new cables from MeanLemons a few months ago and finally put them on, great product. Going to start to go through more electrical issues, get Cruiser's tips done and see if I can prevent future electrical issues. 

20191101_193052-A.jpg

• 1 month later...

30 years ago today I bought my mj, hope to live another 30 years first and maybe have the mj tag along. I am so fortunate to not have done anything stupid and also not have anyone smash into it over the years, a few minor bumper hits but nothing serious. Did I just jinx it? Since I don't drive it much I actually had to replace the tires because they were 11 years old! There was still good tread but when I looked close I could see some dry rot, I still like to get it up over 80 and the thought of a tire blowing at that speed is not a pretty thought. 

Buck. 

• 1 month later...

Bought some used 1 1/4" wheel spacers for the rear, thanks Jeep Driver! I really like the wider stance in the back now, matches the front much better. I also think it gave me a good 10 more horses, nice little modification I had been wanting to do for a while. 

Buck.

20200208_161200.jpg

20200208_170001.jpg

• 1 month later...

I decided to upgrade my fuel injectors, bought a set of remanufactured 4 hole injectors from K Suspension and got them installed last week. Unfortunately I had to wait until this week to start it because when putting the fuel rail back together the 30 year old plastic clips for the release of the return line broke. Ordered a fuel line repair kit from Amazon, went right in and the mj fired up. It runs much better. It didn't run bad before but it is such a noticeable difference, wish I would have done it earlier. After watching a few You Tube videos, one mentioned to scrape out the carbon build up around the injector ports, glad I had seen that video, there was so much build up on a few, wondering if some of the better performance is from that. I used a small pic and got a lot out on to the heat shield then I taped a tube the size of the port to my shop vac and tried to get more out, the mj sputtered at first but settled down pretty quick. I just filled up the tank tonight and will check mpg over the next few days and see how that is going. 

20200313b_142255.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Since I have more free time I am doing little projects also. I am continuing to clean up the engine bay. I also took off the header panel support rail so I could paint it and the top cross member. 

20200325a_110120.jpg

• 1 month later...

I put new sway bar end links and steering dampener on last week. Steering and suspension feel better! Good thing to have a breaker bar and pipe extension. I do have new bump stops ready to go on, that will be soon. 

The MAP sensor bracket was looking pathetic so I took it off, sanded it, primed and repainted it. Engine enamel works really well for these parts.  

Buck

20200504a_112327.jpg

20200503a_112532.jpg

• 6 months later...

Hello all, hope everyone is doing well, been a while since I have posted on my own thread. I haven't done much to my mj but wanted to share a few pics. I finally have a better pic of the back end with the wheel spacers. Thanks to Drahcir495 for my beefier sway bar, took a while put it on but well worth the wait. I believe it was off of a ZJ, great upgrade, thanks Rich! The pic shows the new sway bar, sway bar end links, new bump stops and Brown Dog motor mounts. And lastly, my 5$ thrift store steering wheel cover, brand new and still in the packaging!  

20201111_112030.jpg

20201111_112151.jpg

20201120_202056.jpg

• 7 months later...

Hello everyone, time for my semiannual post and update on my thread. As some of you know my mj has been in semi retirement for several years but I am always glad to get it out and drive it. I did have a new muffler put on in the spring and got a little rumble with this one, must be my mid life crisis. I also added the head light harness from K Suspension. If you guys do this (which we all should) I found it easier to take out my battery rather than try to fish the wires around the battery. 

20210708_141847a.jpg

Agreed—battery removal makes it much easier. It is a fairly easy install though, and really did wonders for my headlights, along with the Hella E Code housings and their H4 bulbs. 

• 2 weeks later...

It's nice to see these trucks still on the road. I too am the original owner of a Comanche.

I bought it 6-30-1987 in CA. It's a 4x4,4.0L, 5 speed short bed. It's been great, but parts seem to be made of pure Unobtainium. I'm currently struggling to find the right Speedo-cable.   

It would be interesting to know how many are still on the road and how many of those are original owners.