So whats in your garage

pingpong

Well I was just curios to see how extremely equipped some the garages are equipped among MJ owners. Personally I have 2 welders, oxy/acytelene torches, horizontal band saw, 1hp dril press, 2 cherry pickers, 20 ton press, parts washer, bench grinder, 30 gallon air compressor. as well as a complete compliment of specialty tools (slide hammer, ball joint press) As well as the most important thing cooling equipment. 3 box fans, and one 36" round dual speed fan.

Lets not forget lack of storage space.. and spare parts in the rafters.

Patrick

A HUGE MESS!!!!

Between kids toys, yard stuff, enough lumber to build another garage(but none of it the right stuff) Assorted Jeep parts, and other assorted crap. I have all my tools kinda shoved down one side. I usually end up working either outside, or trucking stuff over to my Dad's garage once the weather turns foul.

A HUGE MESS!!!!

Sounds like mine...

I had two 'manches in there, neither could move.

Tools, well, I'm seriously lacking there:

10 pound sledge

5 pound sledge (only mention these two because they are favorites)

A makita cordless drill (that won't die...)

A makita angle grinder

Makita chop saw (metal disk on it)

Vice (usually just use c-clamps instead... either I'm lazy, or a sadist)

Crap 70amp MIG (which I ran out of gas for, so I went back to flux core...)

Bunch of random hand tools

Oil hearter (best addition, hands down)

Stereo (second best... other than it's a peice of crap)

Bunch of other stuff... None worthy of naming, other than the scrap lumber, maybe.

I make do with what I've got for the most part.

Wish list for tools: (not in any praticular order)

Drill press - I do it the annoying way. Half inch plate just ain't fun with a cordless drill.

Real welder - I'd think stick, most band for the buck

Bench grinder - Hate using an angle grinder to sharpen drill bits, etc.

Air compressor - Nah, air tools are for pussies... Although, it would have made stripping my whole truck easier.

Press - would be very nice...

A HUGE MESS!!!!

Crap 70amp MIG (which I ran out of gas for, so I went back to flux core...)

Real welder - I'd think stick, most band for the buck

I have both a 90 amp Mig and an old Lincoln 225 amp Buzz-Box(Tombstone style)

I like the Mig a whole lot more. If I could afford a larger Mig I would do it in a minute, no less than a minute. A friend got a MillerMatic 175 amp. Ohhh, baby that thing will weld circles around my machines.

I actually bought the Mig from Harbor Frieght for doing some thinner stuff, that the arc just couldn't handle. I only wish it could handle thick material, then the buzzer would be back in the back of the garage for holding beverage cans off the floor.

I got pictures!

It ain't anywhere near this neat today.

That's the hoist I built for taking the Bronco apart. Now-a-days I have an engine hoist, but the timbers are back in the landscaping and I can put it back together if needed. It was capable of lifting the entire front end of the Bronco in the air.

One of my previous employments required that I have my own tools so I have a much larger collection than I should. Not even close to enough though, but as a need arises I tend to prefer to invest in the tools than to invest in someone elses labor.

The exception is welding. I have a weak $65 stick welder that works on what I call the "bubble gum" principle. It's not powerful enough to penetrate, but it sticks to this piece and it sticks to that piece, and if you build enough little blobs between the two, It hold well enough to remove the part from the truck and take it to a professional. I found a couple local pros that do a great job and don't charge much. I don't normally pay for someone elses time, but I will pay for my own piece of mind. 8)

Jeep on!

--Pete

• 16 years later...

My shop is in my jeep. Single tool box has all i need to get most repairs done. Lifted the jeep high enough no need a lift and use to doing repairs trail side or in parking lots, so no need for a specific shop with lift. And I'm a fan of zip screws as I have a drill and no welder. So most my "shops" are typically short term use. One day perhpas a barn to fit in and maybe repaint the rig..:rolleyes:

1 hour ago, MiNi Beast said:

My shop is in my jeep. Single tool box has all i need to get most repairs done. Lifted the jeep high enough no need a lift and use to doing repairs trail side or in parking lots, so no need for a specific shop with lift. And I'm a fan of zip screws as I have a drill and no welder. So most my "shops" are typically short term use. One day perhpas a barn to fit in and maybe repaint the rig..:rolleyes:

How do you keep finding these old threads? This is a good one!

IMG_20220310_192151005.jpg.d3c4bb8f409e76db3e3d2f294b2d9896.jpg

My work bench.

IMG_20220310_192317047.jpg.038c27e3dae171f5b45f92cee5ddc1c4.jpg

Plenty of grinders and lots of Ryobi.

IMG_20220310_192209763.jpg.8a699d87ec3b2bca34e8d90c9d17c61e.jpg

Lincoln welder, lots of hardware, and old toys.

IMG_20220310_192221925.jpg.a2eb9e0895c177fb936f2c783083c150.jpg

My full tool boxes, grear wrench's, and air compressor.

IMG_20220310_192234505.jpg.77e0f21f6275080ae574d19ad30f4514.jpg

More specialty tools and a case of brake clean.

3 minutes ago, The86manche said:

My garage is full of comanche parts, a 7ft bed, tools, and every panel you would need to build yourself a 67-69 pontiac firebird along with the skeletal structure of a 69 firebird in rebuild.

Late 60's Firebird ... Now there's a worthy pursuit!  :L:

13 minutes ago, Original 87 said:

Yes, agreed but its like Christmas when I clean up and find stuff I forgot I had. 

Not for me, as its not that I forget what I have, but more rather where its at.  Like that missing bolt that I know I have, just a matter of what drawer or bucket I had seen it. :laugh:

24x30 shop. Surround sound, refrigerator, heat & air, sink, microwave, dog bed, greenhouse full of carnivorous plants...you know, the normal stuff most garages have :laugh:

TIG/MIG welders, bandsaw, drill press, wall of toolboxes holding about everything I need...but I still find myself missing some oddball hex socket or something so I make a lot of late night Amazon orders.

I did just finish making a new rack for my wrenches over my workbench

download.png

On 3/12/2022 at 12:43 AM, jdog said:

Lots of stuff that I've long forgotten about,  then buy duplicates

At one point I was up to 6 battery terminal cleaning tools and 4 Dana 44 hub nut sockets once I found it all after a move.

I force myself to keep the number of total project (active and pending) as low as possible.  And I've started using bins and ziplock backs to keep things organized when I pull stuff apart.