Project "Onyx"

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel your pain James. I am now to the point I have to start playing with all that wiring. I am not happy about that at all.

I may have to con Bill into coming down and running all the wiring while I drink beer and make fun of him!

Bill, I got a cold one for ya buddy. Come on down!

I may have to con Bill into coming down and running all the wiring while I drink beer and make fun of him!

:fool:

Bill, I got a cold one for ya buddy. Come on down!

typical, I'll check on this weekend, my daughter's house flooded (stuck toilet tank valve)

• 1 month later...

OK so I have also been following this build for a while now. I'm more envious everytime I check up on it :thumbsup: Just want to say great job on the build! Truly a work of art, and I'm sure the MJ loves all this TLC! How'd the wiring go? and how close are we to seeing the final finished product pics?!?! :banana: :popcorn:

OK so I have also been following this build for a while now. I'm more envious everytime I check up on it :thumbsup: Just want to say great job on the build! Truly a work of art, and I'm sure the MJ loves all this TLC! How'd the wiring go? and how close are we to seeing the final finished product pics?!?! :banana: :popcorn:

I am at a standstill for parts right now. I need the pad that goes behind the dash to really make anymore progress. Once I get this part I can install the heater box, dash wiring, dash (for good), and all the under hood wiring.

It seems like every day I get some time off work either the Honey Do list has piled up or it is pouring outside.

I have a few parts requests out there on some boards. If the parts come to be in a timely manner she could be assembled and driveable by spring.

Man, your wife is awsome for jumpin in and helpin out like that, every man should be so lucky. :thumbsup:

Thanks. Once she decided she wanted to keep the truck for herself. I put her to work on it. She is enjoying it more each time we can spin wrenchs on it.

• 1 month later...

We (my, son, daughter and I) spent the last 4 days working our fingers to the bone. We got orders to 29 Palms CA in August. That means the truck HAS to run to be loaded on a semi to be shipped. We got all the wiring, heater box, and stereo installed.

We got everything working too.

key in dinger, check

headlights on dinger, check

all lights (inside and out), check

power windows, check

power locks, check

power mirrors, check

wipers, check

XJ radio, tweaters, amp and speakers, check

TJ fuel sender and cluster, check

I cranked the motor just to make sure the NSS and starter were talking and she spun over. All I need now is to get new, cat, manifold, HO fuel pump, and a rear shaft and she should be driveable!

I also managed to get the XJs vin tag off the the dash and put the MJs back in it's place while using the factory rosette rivets!

Here is a pic of the dash all lit up. I wanted to get a pic of the fuel gauge reading half a tank but missed it.

sweet has it run yet?

Not yet. It does not have the right fuel pump or an exhaust manifold. Once i track those parts down she should fire right up.

What was involved with putting the newer style doors on?

The doors bolt on like stock. You need to mount the newer style striker. Drill some holes and bolt it on.

How did you work the dash VIN tag off, then back on?

Just realized this is my first post in your build, yet I have been stocking it for almost a year! :thumbsup:

Sent you a PM with the info on it. I don't want to post that info for all to see on a open forum.

Congrats! I can't wait to get to that point on my truck. Yours has really come a long way.

What's the deal with the VIN numbers? I just drilled out the rivets on the VIN on the XJ dash and put the VIN from the MJ in it's place with some new rivets? Did I miss something?

Congrats! I can't wait to get to that point on my truck. Yours has really come a long way.

What's the deal with the VIN numbers? I just drilled out the rivets on the VIN on the XJ dash and put the VIN from the MJ in it's place with some new rivets? Did I miss something?

quite often with new rivets you will have inspection/registration problems, becase they can tell the tag has been changed. DOL doesnt like it when you mess with VIN tags.... :shake:

quite often with new rivets you will have inspection/registration problems, becase they can tell the tag has been changed. DOL doesnt like it when you mess with VIN tags.... :shake:

oh well...I guess we will see what happens, thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

I got the new APN header installed finally. It fit pretty good on my 97 HO motor. The intake required a little bit of grinding on the front runner support to get it to sit flush. The exhaust manifold had been holding up the process on the installation of everything else.

I've got everything in the engine bay now.

I will be picking up a TJ tank and pump next week to retro-fit into the truck. I got sick and tired of messing with the old tank, pump, and gauge sender. While not being able to find the parts easily. The TJ stuff is a dime a dozen. The TJ tank is just a few inches longer, a inch wider, and an inch shorter. It will have the right sender for my gauge cluster, the right pump for my engine, and the fuel lines will hook up to my XJ lines I kept.

All in all making for easier to find parts and maintain the truck in the future.

I'm looking forward to seeing your results with the TJ tank and Fuel pump set up. I haven't gotten to this step yet on my build yet, but I fear that it will be one of the biggest hurdles.

PLEASE take plenty of pictures.

I will help you guys along. The tank has been my BIGGEST mess yet. I think I have got it figured out. I will hopefully have my parts by this week end. If I get them the tank will be installed and the truck should be running by next week!

:bowdown: