Project "Onyx"

As of right now my prop valve works perfectly. I am trying to make this build as factory correct (looking) as possible.

The only real move away from a production build will be the lift.

:agree: Keep the rear prop valve as long as it's working correctly, especially if you'll be hauling any loads. There's nothing "inferior" about them; it's just old and you can't get them anymore. If and when mine gives it up, I'll plump in a Toyota or similar load sensing valve. The only thing you'll have to do is fab a longer rod equal to the amount of lift you install. Pretty easy to do if the old nylon ball sockets are still intact. :cheers:

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regarding the overhead console...

If you wanted to "update" the look of the interior a little bit you could paint the part that is normally covered in fabric with a silver colour. Do the same to the center console in the dash - or find some fake wood grain appliqués for the overhead console (i.e. vice versa).

I recently bought a OH console for my XJ and the fabric is saggy. I was going to do the silver bit when I get around to it.

• 3 weeks later...

I got my Ebay seats Friday.

They are out of a 65th ANN. WK.

They are not anywhere near being a bolt in. I mangaed to use the 97s seat brackets with a lot of cutting, grinding, and fabrication. That was one of the hardest things I have done to this truck yet! Now I am not sure if I like them or not.

Here are some pics to keep the masses happy.

I also changed my dash to gray thanks to Justin in NC.

justin is a good guy.

i have those seats in my wk please do yourself a favor and put covers or catskins or something on them. they stain SOOO bad. you jeep looks great though. I'm jealous of that interior jamminz.gif

Thanks for the tip. I think I am going to Scotchguard the crap out of them and hope for the best. I want to have them redone in a few years too.

Well I think they look horrid in your truck. Let me save you and take them from you.

j/k :D

I like the style however the color with the rest of your interior kinda clashes IMHO. I know how pictures can distort the color sometimes so how do you think the color is? And if you get them redone, what color would you go with?

Still lovin the build. Will be definately using it as a reference with mine when I go that route. :thumbsup:

:cheers:

Well I think they look horrid in your truck. Let me save you and take them from you.

j/k :D

I like the style however the color with the rest of your interior kinda clashes IMHO. I know how pictures can distort the color sometimes so how do you think the color is? And if you get them redone, what color would you go with?

Still lovin the build. Will be definately using it as a reference with mine when I go that route. :thumbsup:

:cheers:

I like the seats, a lot, but like you said the color is off. I may dye the dash and door panels. The seats look gray in direct sun light, but tan on film. :dunno:

I still need a rear window to complete my build, :waving:

Hmmm, all black with the same color headliner as the seats? That may work! Thanks for the idea Sam, I'll look into it.

JT, the seats are really no taller than the stock 97 seats I had in there. I could lower them about 1/4" and that is all. The motors will hit as you move the seat around.

Man, I am using everything from the doors forward (including ALL wiring) from a 97 XJ.

what about the fact that the seats don't tip forward? do you care?

I don't really care about them tilting or not. It will make hiding the amp easier. I won't be putting anything behind the seats either. This truck will be a DD and I will be the only person in it 98% of the time. My stuff can stay on the passenger seat or floor when I am driving to and from work.

Using Monkey Wrench's weldless hinge repair write up from NAXJA

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=986973

I was able to take my busted up hinge from this...

to this...

All in about 2 hours time! I drilled and tapped all the hole and used red locktight for the ones going into the plate on the body. For the bolts in the hinge I have not locked them down permanetly yet. Once I fit the door I will then use blue locktight on them. I also used RTV on all the seams to keep it water tight.

I almost want to do that preemptively to all my trucks! jamminz.gif

:bowdown: MonkeyWrench

Thanks, guys, glad it worked for you!

Not that it matters, but it's WrenchMonkey, as in: "A half-trained, half-bright, half-wit simian, whose only purpose is to rotate bolts." :D

Or Robert to my friends...

Pleesta meetcha!

Robert

nice job but...aren't you gonna clean that up a bit so it looks nicer? i mean...the rest of the truck is BEAUTIFUL so far so I wouldn't overlook a little thing like that

Once you get the fender and the door back on, it's invisible.

Robert