Project "Onyx"

Nice stuff man. I can't wait to see the dash converted to a new style. Thats exactly what I'm doing. Ive got all the parts but have yet to even take my original one out. Now that Ive found someone else doing it I'm going to wait until I see the pics of how yours is done haha.

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finally got around to pulling the doors, under hood wiring, and drive train.

Once those monsters were out of the way I gave me room to start the dash install.

It started with me stripping the 97 of all her goods.

I got the dash installed in the MJ first. It was not too bad, just time consuming. I had to redrill the lower "A" piller holes and make some new brackets to attach the dash to the windsheild frame.

I also modified the center console out of the 97 to work with the MJ bech that I traded the buckets for. It is not done yet because I am still waiting to install to shifters and carpet.

I pulled the dash out of the MJ and started the cutting and grinding. All the old brackets off. I used a $5.00 Harbour Frieght spot weld cutter for the whole process. It worked really good too.

Now that all the old stuff is out of the way it is time to bolt the new brackets in.

Here are a few shots frome under the dash showing the new brackets.

The 2 bolts going through the cowl into the bracket.

And all the new bolts coming throught the driver side fender area.

Now the column is mounted and almost finished. I say almost because I still need to finish the hole the column goes through the firewall. You must move the hole up about an inch from the stock location.

Because MJs use a foot brake for the parking brake it opens up a whole nother can of worms. I did some cutting and grinding and finally got it to fit where I wanted it.

Now where to put the brake release handle? Cut and grind some more and there ya go. Right where it should be on the lower right side of the dash.

Cool, the brake is done! Now what about the hood release? More cutting and grinding again. I used the stock MJ lower kick panel and modified it so that the XJs hood pull would work with it. If you look closely above the hood release handle you can see where the factory MJ hood release handle cut out was. You can also see the new bolt for the lower dash mount.

I took some time off the dash install to make the 97 seat belts work.

First I had cut the lower bracket off because the XJ one is too long.

Then I re-drilled the mounting hole.

Next I pulled the lower belt cover off the factory MJ bealt and put it on the new belt and snugged it down.

The front seat belt buckles in the XJ have a metal strap in them instead of the webbing. I am using a bench I needed the web style. Just so happens that all the rear belts have the webbing and the longer center seat belt needed for the center passenger.

I am trying to make everything in the truck look factory, I need the seat belt light to work too. I tore apart the front belt with the switch in it and moved it over to the rear belt buckle.

Well all the work messing with the seat belts has been for nothing!

The next time I have a thought I need to just let it go. I spent the last 4 hours putting these in. Not done just yet. I need to have the XJ brackets welded in.

Now I need to re-do the seat belt buckles again!

very nice. those seats look good. a very impressive swap with the whole 97+ interior.

I wish I would have let well enough alone. I just finished installing the XJs parking brake lever. Wich meant all the work modifing the dash for the brake release was all for not.

Oh well. It looks better with the center brake lever in the console's hole.

It is really easy to install a XJ lever in a MJ too. There is some minor cutting to do on the XJs brake lever and you gotta make a cable mount. Unless you want to cut a hole in the floor. I have cut enough holes in the truck this week! The only XJ part you need is the parking brake lever. Everything else was the MJs.

If the weather cooperates tomorrow I should be able to get the overhead console installed. Then the interior will be finished for the most part.

very nice!

I'm also wondering what you did for the e-brake handle.

guessing you removed the plate that goes through the floor, shortened the original e-brake cable, and made a mount for it with an adapter to plug into the bottom of the e-brake handle.

very nice build so far...I LOVE the interior. how hard was the dash install? or, I should say, what did you have to do mount-wise.

very nice!

I'm also wondering what you did for the e-brake handle.

guessing you removed the plate that goes through the floor, shortened the original e-brake cable, and made a mount for it with an adapter to plug into the bottom of the e-brake handle.

very nice build so far...I LOVE the interior. how hard was the dash install? or, I should say, what did you have to do mount-wise.

I will post some pics of the brake mods next time I tear the interior out to finish welding in the seats and install the carpet.

I did remove the part where the XJ brake cable would go through the floor. I then made a "L" shaped bracket to put the brake cable into. I did not shorten the MJs brake cable I just looped it under the drivers seat on the floor. The carpet will cover it up.

The dash is really easy to install. It is the steering column that is a bear to do. There is a lot of cutting and drilling involved. I basically mounted the XJ column mount (with the dash removed) to the brake pedal bracket. Once it looked good. I drilled a hole through the mount on the drivers side and bolted it down. Once it was bolted down I then used the bracket as a template to drill the rest of the holes. I made a couple spacers for the cowl area, it is spaced away in the XJ, and boleted the cowl down.

I got the overhead console mounted in the truck tonight. I had to cut the bracket out of the XJ. The center mount for the console is bolted to a cross brace in the roof. I fired up the cut off wheel and chopped it out. I then trimmed it to fit between the roof supports in the MJ. I then re-installed the headliner, visors, and console.

Disreguard the hole in the headliner. Always measure twice!

Not that I am almost 75% done with the interior. I needed to address the drivers door panel.

From this,

To this,

(bonus pionts if you can point out the difference)

how had was it to find the 2 door buttons?

Not to hard really. Just so happens Juan (Rjeep) on NAXJA just rolled his 2 door. He is chopping the top so he had no need for the door switches. I traded him my old tailgate for the drivers door panel and switches. The little cover plate was a PIA to switch!

There are only 2 window controls vs 4.

What do I win?!

Sorry, you were too slow. Maybe next time. Thanks for playing!

Not to hard really. Just so happens Juan (Rjeep) on NAXJA just rolled his 2 door. He is chopping the top so he had no need for the door switches. I traded him my old tailgate for the drivers door panel and switches. The little cover plate was a PIA to switch!

Really... It wasnt plug n play with the switch?? I have some 01 doors, but I think Ill use the extra switches for something (power rear slider ((I WISHED)) or power tailgate or something in the way)... What all did you have to do to make the 2 button work? I was guessing the connectors diff, but havent found a 2 door 97- up with power??

Really... It wasnt plug n play with the switch?? I have some 01 doors, but I think Ill use the extra switches for something (power rear slider ((I WISHED)) or power tailgate or something in the way)... What all did you have to do to make the 2 button work? I was guessing the connectors diff, but havent found a 2 door 97- up with power??

The switch is fine. It is the little plastic cover on the door panel that sucks to change. It is screwed, clipped, and pinched in the door panel. You'll see if you look at your door 97+ panels.

Nice build up . Are you swapping the whole doors or just the interior panels? I just started tearing down my 88 eliminator , but it will stay 2wd . Good luck with yours , We'll have to meet up sometime. you're not too far .

Nice build up . Are you swapping the whole doors or just the interior panels? I just started tearing down my 88 eliminator , but it will stay 2wd . Good luck with yours , We'll have to meet up sometime. you're not too far .

I will be using the XJs doors as well. I will be taking everything from the doors forward off the XJ to put on Onyx.

Come by anytime. If it ain't raining I am wrenching on the truck.