Project "Onyx"

I never really said, opps.

It has RC drop brackets, 4.5" RE coils, and a JKS track bar up front. The rear is a SOA using stock 2WD leaf packs and Ruff Stuff Dana 44 Easy Swap kit. The tires and wheels are factory Rubicon take offs with the stock 245/75/16 MTRs.

So roughly 31"s on a 4.5" lift?

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That 'rollbar' that's in the bed, is that a stock feature on the Eliminators?

I bought the "roll bar" off jbhill. It is an aftermarket aluminum one. It was in a Ranger at one time. I cut it down and made it a little wider to follow the MJ lines better. I debated on selling it at one point but, it is starting to grow on me.

That 'rollbar' that's in the bed, is that a stock feature on the Eliminators?

I bought the "roll bar" off jbhill. It is an aftermarket aluminum one. It was in a Ranger at one time. I cut it down and made it a little wider to follow the MJ lines better. I debated on selling it at one point but, it is starting to grow on me.

Interesting. I've seen a few MJs with them, so I thought it was some factory option. I like it, though.

• 2 weeks later...

awesome progress man jamminz.gif I'm doing the same exact thing with my new mj, starting off with the same exact mj as yours, only a year older, (88 2wd black eliminator, even have a damaged tailgate and rear bumper), and my buddies rolled 99 xj, good job so far man, keep up the good work :thumbsup:

• 5 weeks later...

I finally got my TJ sender/pump assembly in.

After dropping my stock tank and pulling the pump out of it. I realized that the slosh tray would not let the TJ pump fit where I needed it. Instead of destroying a perfectly good tank I decided to modify the stock pump bracket. The fix was to remove the fuel sender from both and use the TJ sender on the MJs fuel pump.

I did not get any of pics of the process but did snap some of the finished product.

Here is the TJ sender mounted to the stock MJ pump. I was also able to reuse the stock fuel float arm. I had to heat and bend it a little but it works perfectly!

I simply notched the TJ sender with a grinder

Which allowed me to use 2 hose clamps to hold it on.

The TJ has 4 wires with 2 seperate plugs on the top of the assembly. A MJ only has 3 wires (one being a common ground) with one plug. I removed the stock plug and clipped the ground wire.

I put one of the TJ's plugs (pump wiring) in the stock hole and drilled a new hole (sender wiring) and put the other plug in it.

top veiw

The only thing left to do the fuel system in get a new in tank filter, grommet to hold the pump in. Mine is a pile of gooey jelly. And replace the top gasket that holds the assembly in.

And for the picture hounds out there...

I got the new dash, console, door panels, and carpet in the truck. I still need to paint all my stock stuff agate and clean up the carpet but it is getting there!

Next is to finish the wiring and drop the motor in!

By painting some stock stuff agate do you mean the seat pedestal trim now attached to the ZJ seats?

Looks good so far, also, get your headlight switch installed already.

Yep, that and all the other factory plastic in the truck.

I have the switch installed just not the pull knob. I have had the dash apart soooo many times it is just easier to leave it in the console. The dash needs to come out one more time to do the HVAC and under dash wiring.

I thought the plan was to finish this truck and sale it on Ebay but...

My wife wants it more than I do! She asked me to paint it Deep Amethyst purple with some silver lettering. Fair enough for me. She also gave me the go ahead to get a Long Box after our next move to build for myself. I am not a fan of Short Beds, hence the reason for selling this one.

Do you have pictures or advice on wirering the new doores up to old wirering.

Nope. I am using all 97+ wiring. Ask Johnnyc nicely and he may tell you.

JB, I'll PM you my number.

Johnny, If I can con my people into letting me come back out to SoCal I should be home in less than 2 years!!!!! jamminz.gif

And for the picture hounds out there...

I got the new dash, console, door panels, and carpet in the truck. I still need to paint all my stock stuff agate and clean up the carpet but it is getting there!

Wow, this is cleaner and looks nicer than my '00 XJ. Excellent job. :thumbsup:

So are those airbags going to be operational too? ...Just curious :chillin: Seriously though, your interrior is AWESOME!!! :bowdown: jamminz.gif What I wouldn't give for that setup in my MJ; although I like the all grey better, I even thought the 2-tone was rather cool. Keep it up, I can't wait to see whats next! Oh ya, I am curious to see how the computer functions will work on the overhead consol, such a avg/current MPG, etc...I know your a ways from that yet though. Keep those pics coming in the meantime.

James