Project "Onyx"

Don't those airbags require some kind of sensor that you have to mount to the front end? I'm not sure how they work but it is something I would want to make sure to get right. Plus, if the airbags came from a cherokee, do you think there would be a size difference that would make them too big for our big cab or something? :dunno:

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't those airbags require some kind of sensor that you have to mount to the front end? I'm not sure how they work but it is something I would want to make sure to get right. Plus, if the airbags came from a cherokee, do you think there would be a size difference that would make them too big for our big cab or something? :dunno:

No, there is not sensor in the front end. I think everything is under the dash. I think it uses a sensor that detects a sudden change in speed.

Willy

No, there is not sensor in the front end. I think everything is under the dash. I think it uses a sensor that detects a sudden change in speed.

Willy

the factory location started out under the driver's seat. then it was moved in newer models (as well as a dealer fix) to inside back of the center console

There is no front end crash sensors on a XJ, the airbags and the safing sensor(s) are located in the ACM which is under the center console(97/98s had it under the drivers seat, though it was recalled and moved under the center console).

The Cab is the exact same size as our XJ Cabs, doors etc all fit it, the front half of a MJ is virtually the same as an XJ.

Sir Sam Is correct. The sensor is under the center console. There are no sensors on the front of the XJ to deploy the bags. It is all controlled by the little box under the console.

My bags will be functional and work as they should. I am using every single bit of the 97 XJs wiring. That makes things much easier to wire in.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
ii wanna see more picturesss

I have not had much time to work on the truck. I did get 90% of the drive train painted and detailed. I should have some time this weekend to hopefully install the engine harness, heater box and the drive train. I'll see how the weekend plays out. It is supposed to rain and that does not help my cause one bit.

I've been following your thread since the beginning. Getting close to starting my own now that my XJ is mostly done (we can't have a work shop being empty - can we?).

I was hoping to pick your brain about the install of the dash. I've never had a XJ/MJ torn down to that level (carcass with interior goes to the wrecker normally - nothing hanging around here currently).

Looking at your pictures I'm trying to understand what exactly you need to do to attach the dash to the MJ.

Are those silvery-grey cast metal pieces what the dash is attached to and you just bolt them into the firewall in the appropriate places?

You mentioned a bracket at the root of the A-pillar. Did you bend up some sheet metal to make that? Cut up some light box section?

How did you go about determining where to place the new brackets? Trial and error? Did any of the original brackets get to stay to help locate the dash?

I've got my `98 donor with a TNT lift sitting out behind the barn... now to find a MJ worth working with - I hate living in the salt belt.

Thanks!

I've been following your thread since the beginning. Getting close to starting my own now that my XJ is mostly done (we can't have a work shop being empty - can we?).

It is best to keep the donor around until the dash and wiring swap is done. I made a lot of trips back and forth with a tape measure.

I was hoping to pick your brain about the install of the dash. I've never had a XJ/MJ torn down to that level (carcass with interior goes to the wrecker normally - nothing hanging around here currently).

Pick away! I will give you every bit of info I can remember.

Looking at your pictures I'm trying to understand what exactly you need to do to attach the dash to the MJ.

Are those silvery-grey cast metal pieces what the dash is attached to and you just bolt them into the firewall in the appropriate places?

They are the pieces that locate the steering column.

You will need to cut all the stock brackets out of the MJ. The brake booster will hold the XJs bracket in place. The XJ steering shaft is located about 1 1/2" lower than the MJs. That hole needs to be modified as well. The bulkhead connector hole will not be re-used with the XJs wiring. The XJ has an oval hole and this hole needs to be addresed. I cut that section of firewall out of the XJ and layed it over the MJs firewall. I beat and gound until it fit flush. I then took a sharp awl and scratched the new location into the firewall using the XJs plate as a template. I then cut the holes accordingly and re-installed the plate over my firewall and sealed it up.

You mentioned a bracket at the root of the A-pillar. Did you bend up some sheet metal to make that? Cut up some light box section?

I used the stock parts that I cut out of the MJ to make my brackets. I just trimmed what I needed and used the little clips to hold evrything together. I will have the dash out this weekend (hopefully) to finish the HVAC swap and I will snap some pics for you to give you a better idea of what I am talking about.

How did you go about determining where to place the new brackets? Trial and error? Did any of the original brackets get to stay to help locate the dash?

Nothing stayed in place from the MJ. All the studs and holes are different. It was all trial and error.

I've got my `98 donor with a TNT lift sitting out behind the barn... now to find a MJ worth working with - I hate living in the salt belt.

They are always for sale down south cheap and rust free. It may be a good idea to find one down here and tow it home.

I used the stock parts that I cut out of the MJ to make my brackets. I just trimmed what I needed and used the little clips to hold evrything together. I will have the dash out this weekend (hopefully) to finish the HVAC swap and I will snap some pics for you to give you a better idea of what I am talking about.

They are always for sale down south cheap and rust free. It may be a good idea to find one down here and tow it home.

Thanks! The pictures would be great and much appreciated. I'd love to see how you setup the new brackets.

I'd really like to travel south for a truck but currently don't have a vehicle capable of towing that far. With my schedule it seems I can barely find the time to go look at a truck that is only three hours west from me. Racing season is almost over, hopefully I'll have more weekends free to find something decent before the weather turns.

whats goin on man wheres the UPDATE!!!! :redX: :fs1:

I could not get any work done to the truck this weekend. I found out Friday afternoon I have to go out of town for a week Monday. We are going camping next weekend so this news caused me to start packing the camper. Saturday morning when we popped it up we discovered the A/C unit was leaking rain water inside onto the beds. I took the A/C off and found a crack in the roof under the unit. I cut the cracked area out and replaced it and sealed everything back up. That took all day to finish.

I walk outside this morning to start working on the truck and hear thunder. That's odd, it ain't sposed to rain today. Lets just say it is pouring right now and I don't think it is going to stop anytime soon.

Looks like it will be a few more weeks until I get time to wrench on the truck.

whats goin on man wheres the UPDATE!!!! :redX: :fs1:

I could not get any work done to the truck this weekend. I found out Friday afternoon I have to go out of town for a week Monday. We are going camping next weekend so this news caused me to start packing the camper. Saturday morning when we popped it up we discovered the A/C unit was leaking rain water inside onto the beds. I took the A/C off and found a crack in the roof under the unit. I cut the cracked area out and replaced it and sealed everything back up. That took all day to finish.

I walk outside this morning to start working on the truck and hear thunder. That's odd, it ain't sposed to rain today. Lets just say it is pouring right now and I don't think it is going to stop anytime soon.

Looks like it will be a few more weeks until I get time to wrench on the truck.

okay man but as soon as you can you get that finished ! i wanna see it done ..looks awsome already :drool:

• 1 month later...

I got a little done to the truck this week... FINALLY! I have been crazy busy at work and have had no time to do anything to her.

With the help of my lovely wife we got a ton of the nasty stuff done.

She has worked her butt off the last few days on the truck. I could not have gotten all this work done this quick without her help.

Thanks babe, I love ya!

Here is Jen scubbing the old under coating of the floor of the truck.

Once the nasty dirty part was done we hit the floor with some 3M ruberized under coating. They turned out pretty nice looking.

Then she and I un-bolted the bed, stood it up in the garage, and washed the frame rails to get them ready for under coating. I can't believe she was able to lift the bed of the truck. But, she did it without a problem! I had to have her sit on the rear cross member to get the truck back in the garage. It came up about 3 inches and would not clear the garage door opener to go back in.

Tomorrow my son and I will be dropping the drivetrain back into the truck.

Here are a few pics of the 97 XJ doors on the truck. It is finally starting to come together!

Looks great! I don't remember if you mentioned it previously, what colour are you planning on painting it?

I bought a rust free MJ from Colorado last month. Itching to get at it but I need to get other projects out of the way in the garage first. It's driving me nuts because every time I pull up to the house it is just sitting there taunting me to get started on it. :)

We got the engine in today. Not without a fight! I hooked up the cherry picker to get it out of the garage. We (the wife and I) got it just clear of the garage door and the front left caster fell off the cherry picker. GREAT! I have 800 pounds of drivetrain hanging on a broken cherry picker. Looks like the guy that built it only welded the casters on through the 4 bolts holes. He should have bolted it then welded them on. A little redneck engineering and it was mobile again. I pryed the combo up enough to get a couple bricks under it. Then I took my floor jack and strapped it where the caster was supposed to be. Not very smooth rolling but it got the job done.

Today was a family event. I aligned the engine mounts, my 11 year old son was under the truck keeping the transfer from swinging, and my wife ran the cherry picker. It took the 3 of us about an hour to get it in the hole. They were a huge help! If anything this old truck is bringing the family closer together.

I can't wait until WE build the next one!

Hi SHELBYLUV I been following you're tread for some time now I'm new is the first massage i post . I do have a 87 manche 98 dash and wiring going from 2wd to 4 wd and aw4 my ? is the wiring is from a 98 stick shift the aw4 is 91-93 and the engine is 87 I'm installing a 95 HO head 2000 intake . Will that wiring be missing any plugs for the tranny computer ? Do I need to use a 98 tranny with that wiring or can I connect a 98 tranny computer on the 91-93 tranny ? I will love to start a thread so I can get the help from all the GURUS in this forum You guys have been my inspiration I start with a 88 xj and now I have a xj and mj and a garage full of parts for all the stuff I'm gonna be upgrading.

man, i love this truck. i still have your parts lol.

Thanks James. Your truck is a work of art. I need to get down there soon to see your truck and get those parts, lol!

looks good, Bo did you get wet. we got done around 1pm with the floor.

Bill, we got a pretty wet dropping the drivetrain in. The rain held off for the better part of the install though.

Hi SHELBYLUV I been following you're tread for some time now I'm new is the first massage i post . I do have a 87 manche 98 dash and wiring going from 2wd to 4 wd and aw4 my ? is the wiring is from a 98 stick shift the aw4 is 91-93 and the engine is 87 I'm installing a 95 HO head 2000 intake . Will that wiring be missing any plugs for the tranny computer ? Do I need to use a 98 tranny with that wiring or can I connect a 98 tranny computer on the 91-93 tranny ? I will love to start a thread so I can get the help from all the GURUS in this forum You guys have been my inspiration I start with a 88 xj and now I have a xj and mj and a garage full of parts for all the stuff I'm gonna be upgrading.

I am not sure about the differences in the AW4's from year to year. The same with the wiring. I bought a donor 97 XJ to simplify to wiring of my truck. I did not want to try an piece all that crap together and hope I researched it correctly.

Your best bet would be to post your questions in the Tech section here and let the masses steer you in the right direction.