Project "Onyx"

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

any input on which wires are for what?

what did you do to make the brake lights work with the mj rear harness?

I used the XJ wiring mated to the MJ wiring.

I made all the parking light bulbs come on with the lights. I used the top bulb for the stop lights and the bottom bulb for the turn signals.

Make sense, lol!

• 1 month later...
Not quite as specific as I lookin for lol.

Any more details you can provide? I'm in the same boat. I was searching through all the wires tonight and wasn't quite sure what direction to take. The XJ lights go back separately and the license plate lights are back there somewhere too, but the MJ rear harness doesn't split until right before the bumper. Where did you splice all your connections? In the cab and connect to the MJ rear harness or just before the lights in the back and bypass the MJ rear harness all together?

A little more information can save me a bunch of time, so any input would be much appreciated. Thanks!

• 8 months later...

so Shelbyluvv... in doing something similar to you on a comanche... inspired by you and couple of other guys doing mods to comanches... I'm doing a 91 to 2000 conversion and I'm changing the fuel tank too... trying to follow your writeup... did you use the tank form the XJ ?... mine seems to be all rectangular (its a 2000 cherokee xj tank) and have doubts of it being able to fit, havent measure, I'm in the process of doing it but havent started cuz of the doubts of it fitting.

thanks in advance

I used a 2000 TJ tank and pump. I made my own brackets and mounts for it to fit. There is a pretty decent write up in this thread on what I did and the parts I used to complete it.

whats the width of the tj tank? the xj is 20 inches... and by my measurements its 1 inch wider than I need it to be... the lenght is ok it will fit but its wider than I expected... and having a hard time on connecting the wire harness to the old fuel pump/sender...

• 3 months later...

I fit in the truck just fine. I am 5'9" and about 175 or so. The ZJ seats are way nicer than any other seat I could find for the money.

They are so nice in fact that I am using them again in Betty.

I sold this truck awhile ago. It is still on the road and driven almost daily.

• 7 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Guess who's coming home?

I am in negotiations with Bronson to buy Onyx back! She will be sitting pretty beside Betty in a few months! I will be in VA for 3 months. As soon as I get home I will be making the trip to pick my baby up! She is still running good but has a few minor issues that need to be addressed but I know what they are. I'm happy to be able to get both of my girls back again.

Guess who's coming home?

I am in negotiations with Bronson to buy Onyx back! She will be sitting pretty beside Betty in a few months! I will be in VA for 3 months. As soon as I get home I will be making the trip to pick my baby up! She is still running good but has a few minor issues that need to be addressed but I know what they are. I'm happy to be able to get both of my girls back again.

People who build a vehicle can never get rid them!  Always want them back at some point.  :D  At least you know it was decent hands meanwhile.

It's a done deal! I'll be picking her up this September when I get back from Virginia. Betty will become my truck and weekend driver and Onyx will go to my son to be his first vehicle. We are both super happy.

Looks like I need to build that 2500, 4 door, 97+, V8 truck to complete my collection!

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

What happened to this truck? I saw it being built back when I was in high school over on a different forum somewhere, but it stopped getting updated so I thought it never went anywhere.  This truck was actually what made me want a comanche in the first place so I was wondering if you still had it after you bought it back and what it looks like now.  Just wanted to say I love this truck and thought it was done up great!

It is still alive and well. I sold it to a buddy of mine and bought it back. It is still sitting at his place in north Georgia. I will drag her home at some point. She was a great truck. He daily drives it and takes good care of it. Thanks for the kind words.

• 1 month later...

She's a little dirty, has a electrical issuse and there is a pond on the drivers floor. All and all she is in good shape. I need to figure out why you have to unplug the cps with the key on to trip the asd to get it to start. Then pull the seats and carpet and let her dry out.

We wheeled the piss out of her last night and what a great wheeler it is! I missed her.

Onyx got her first bath in four years.

A few things need to be removed like these lights

This tool box. I hate tool boxes in trucks let alone a short bed. They kill to much bed space.

Windshield needs to be replaced

Engine needs to be detailed