Project "Onyx"

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's some very good "shade tree" fab work there!! GOOD JOB!! jamminz.gif

I assume you don't have a welder? As this would be better then any bolts...

CW

Thanks CW. It means a lot coming from you. :cheers:

Sadly I don't have a welder. The world can look out next year when I get settled into my permanent house. I will be moving one last time and buying a house in 29 Palms California to retire from the Marines. This is when I will get ALL the big tools I have been wanting. I would play hell moving them every couple years. Not so much now.

Nice work, as always. :cheers:

what are you doing with the MJ tank? :brows:

Dunno? You want it? It needs a sending unit and "J" bolts.

The one in my 88 has rusted so bad it's empty. :(

You still remember how to get to the house? You can have it Pete.

PM me your address, I'm not sure it's in the GPS anymore. I'll be driving by your place on Saturday on the way back north, so that would be an ideal time to try. :cheers:

Hey Shelby,

I was wondering did you just throw the motor from the 97 in the mj? I know you has said at the beginning that there was a slight noise at idle from the stock Engine/Drivetrain. I figured that you probably did instead of swapping everything over to the old motor. That engine looks really clean BTW, great job on the build man you have one bad @$$ truck.

Buddy

Hey Shelby,

I was wondering did you just throw the motor from the 97 in the mj? I know you has said at the beginning that there was a slight noise at idle from the stock Engine/Drivetrain. I figured that you probably did instead of swapping everything over to the old motor. That engine looks really clean BTW, great job on the build man you have one bad @$$ truck.

Buddy

I did use the 97's drivetrain (engine, trans, and transfer) in the truck. My son washed and detailed the engine. he gets all the credit for that.

• 4 weeks later...

Nice work on the TJ tank, I like how that turned out, I had been turning it over and over in my head about what to do, before I just decided to stick with the MJ tank. I might end up throwing the XJ tank where the spare tire was if it will not be a clearance issue.

Though for me keeping the MJ tank will work fine since I have a gear driven lift pump in the IP. And if I really need to, like for a more vicious fuel such as SVO, I can install a pretty cheap inline faucet pump as a lift pump.

Figuring out the fill and transfer between two tanks......that will be the harder part....might put a filler neck back in the bed by the tail light.....

Also for the record, for anyone wanting to swap in a TJ cluster for an XJ, make sure you get an older cluster, all XJs used the CCD bus, while newer TJs use the PCI bus, IIRC the change to PCI bus happened in 2001, but don't quote me on that.

• 1 month later...

Well, it is a sad day in the MJ world. I let Onyx go last night to a buddy of mine. He promised to keep me informed of any further progress on the truck.

I know a lot of you are asking why (or how) I could get rid of a truck that I spent the better part of two years building. It was not an easy thing to do by any means. There were a couple reasons behind our decision.

1st, I am getting transfered to California in July. I had a 07 Dodge Ram 2500, 04 Jeep WJ, 87 Shelby Charger, the MJ, and a 06 Starcraft 13 RT camper, that is 4 vehicles and a camper. As you can see I needed to thin the herd. The 2500 is the tow rig, the WJ was my very first new car I ever bought and it is paid for, it took me six years to find the Shelby and it is my true first LUVV, and we need the camper for family time. Sadly the MJ was just one vehicle too many.

2nd, We looked at getting it shipped. Not cheap by any means. We are unsure of where we are going to live once we get to CA. Throw in the unknown price for rent and vehicle storage for the camper, Shelby, and the MJ and it gets pricey real quick.

3rd, the MJ was a short box. I personally do not like a short box truck. I never have and probably never will. I was to the point the truck was almost finished and I was losing interest in her and it was still a shorty.

4th, With this truck out of the way it gives us more room to buy a LWB truck and convert it into the 4 door Sportruck I have been wanting to build for years.

I will not be going anywhere. I will always have an MJ around. Just the next one will be a little bit different from the norm. I want to thank everyone for the input, help, and heckling that you provided while the build of Onyx was taking place. It was a fun time, I learned a lot, and I will apply this to my next truck and build a bigger and better product.

Bo

Thanks fellas. I load it on the trailer in the morning and hand over the keys and title. He gets to hand over $2500! That is plenty to get the next one off the ground. :bowdown:

The reason I sold it to him so cheap is because I used his old XJ as my donor rig. He gave me a great deal on the XJ. Now that things have changed in his life I am returning the favor to my friend.

Don, I am going to 29 Palms. There is a really good chance I will be buying back "Black Betty" when I get out there.

Way to return the favor! I am sure your buddy will finish it right. You know, you are still responsible for posting finished pictures of the truck....

Your build was my inspiration. So it really does not end here.

It's definitely hard to see them go, that's for sure. I hope your friend either joins up here to share the pics, or at least sends them to you to post for us. Your build truly has been an inspiration to many people, and I for one would like to see it as it further progresses.

It's a done deal. I dropped her off this morning to the new owner.

Here she is behind the Cummins getting ready for the road trip.

In all her sexy glory!

The proud new owner, Bronson.

Good bye Onyx...

You will be missed!