Project "Onyx"

I pulled up the nasty wet and rat piss covered carpet to find this pleasant surpise,

Also found mold behind the soaked rear carpet board

She also has mildew all over the interior

It'll take a few weeks to get her fixed back up but I am up to the challenge.

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Brett. I am too.

We got a little rain today and I found three different water leaks to the inside. Looks like the dash needs to come out completely to seal the upper cowl. The HVAC suitcase seal is leaking and the rear window is leaking. I picked up some nice new door seals for her today. Those will be replaced once all the other leaks are sealed and the rusty floors are repaired.

I spent some time today figuring out why the power drivers seat didn't work any longer. I found the plug was corroded and the power wire was broken. I nipped off the connection and spliced the wires together. I now have a power seat again.

Thanks man.

I drove her to work today. No issues on the way to work. Rode great, shifted great and the steering was tight. I did notice that it leans in the corners a bit much. I guess I should have checked it over more. The sway bar links are MIA.

On the way home for lunch she did great as well. Pulled into the driveway and heard some valvle clatter then noticed the check gauge light was on. No oil pressure. This could be a problem. It always had low oil pressure and a rattle once warm. We even changed the oil pump a few years ago and it still did it. I am going to change the oil and put a heavier weight in her to see if that helps. Either way I'm going to drive it until it blows up. It's been fine for 4 years now so I should be ok for a bit.

Spent a little time under the hood with some ZEP orange degreaser. Worked pretty well.

I also painted the tailgate so everyone knows that she is a JEEP. I also took most of the stickers off the back window. I left the important ones though.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Some how she just keeps running, The rattle really has not gotten any worse. I figured by now it would have blown up. She is not as pretty as she can be but I will get to that once the mechanicals are sorted.

10406927_10202806935841572_4498622830035

I also picked this up in case the current 4.0 pukes a rod. It supposedly has a lifter tap but has good oil pressure. For a total investment of $20 it can't hurt to try. My current motor has held together this long so this one should be good for a few years!

10616333_10202746816738632_3507422794330

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I've been daily driving her since I brought her home. One thing that has bothered me was the radio. It picked and choose when it wanted to work. Because I swapped in a Infinity system with the factory amp I didn't know if the head unit was at fault or if it was the amp. Today I installed a Kenwood freebie that I picked up a few weeks ago. I did away with all the factory XJ speaker wires and pulled new wires.

Interested in knowing how many speakers you are using and where they are located.  Want to get my stock radio working properly again.

I finally (after 4 or 5 years) got a stock radio back in my truck after a thief stole the old Sony and another set of thieves stole the entire truck about 2 years ago.  Thinking there should be 2 speakers in the doors (have them).  2 tweeters(?) under the dash (missing). and 2 speakers behind the seats in the B pillars (not sure if these work right now, but I have a spare set).

Thanks,

JJ