THUNDERCHIEF PICS - NOW UP.

Automan2164

:agree:

I'd really like to see the interior. And for some reason, that gas cap sticks out to me...I want one! I also really like the headlight "shields". Not sure about the plastic roll bar though, gives it a sort of chevy avalanche look

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Usually anything you can not see on a concept vehicle trim of an existing vehicle line is exactly the same as the existing. So the interior and bed are probably exactly the same.

I'm not much of a fan of this truck. Lots of plastic, hack CA drop brackets.... Looks gaudy with all the light covers and ridiculous body kit. Those body kits are for street Comanches!

The only thing in my opinion that's cool is the fact it's a concept...

I'll take a red and black chief with rollbars. (real steel ones)

what a let down. was this thing bought back from somebody to have in their collection? looks like somebody drove it for awhile judging from the scuffed up front axle and rust everywhere. new fuel filter and cat back exhaust. what the hell. whoever took these pics really didnt know what the hell they were doing. just snapping shots to shut us up i guess. while it is still kind of cool, i don't think ill be worrying about this one anymore..... :dunno:

thanks for doing the work to get us these shots though rob jamminz.gif

Interesting, and kudos to you Rob for doing the footwork for everyone to see these pictures.

I guess seeing is believing, but IMO, that is one ugly @#$%ing truck. No offense to anyone that likes it; just stating my opinion.

Also, Dana 35? ...Really? I'd give it more credit if it had a 44 under there.

It's beautiful. Just the details behind it whether it being the simplicity of the lift, the hints of pictures showing the crazy '80s interior, or the near crudeness of the pop rivets holding on the covers that are hiding the internals and mounts of the neat side steps and skirts. I'll say it again... it's beautiful. I especially enjoy the pictures showing off the cracked fiberglass and sanding marks left behind in the bondo on the bottom side of the flares and steps. Keep in mind that this thing was built by someone! Someone who probably saw these trucks everyday and thought of them as something more. Something that was both a tool for work but also a toy that could benefit from some cool touches like a lift and some bigger tires... just because it looks cool! He saw that though the interior was both comfortable and functional it also could use some added flair... again, just because it looks cool! There's the changed front end, the spare tire mount, the fiberglass work all around the truck, and the fuel filler. Oh, the fuel filler!! This guy was one of us! He saw the Comanche and dreamed of what it could be! A change here and there, but it's still a Comanche at heart. How many of us add some accessories here and there, throw on a few sets of lights, lift it up and mount some aftermarket wheels and big tires, then finish it off with a flashy paint job with hopes of catching some attention while enjoying our truck. Yup... the builders of the Thunderchief may have been the spark that started what we have and enjoy on a daily basis that we call the Comanche Club and I thank whoever they may be. Looking at it now, the truck is showing its age and even some rust showing through it's painted undercarriage. Rust? Yup! Still a Comanche at heart! Call it a passion for these trucks or just the appreciation of someone else's work of seeing something in real life or seeing something in their mind and making it a reality these pictures really take me back a few steps. I'll say it again because it just is... the truck is beautiful.

Thank you Rob for looking into this for us and be sure to thank your source for the effort that he put into getting you what he did.

Still a Dana 35 rear!? :doh:

I like it, its just cool thats its still around, who knows, maybe 1 day we'll have the oppertunity to aquire it. I wish i could get a set of those style Goodyear Radials for "Walker" :brows:

Those Goodyear Wrangler Radials are still being made and sold.... I think by Wal-Mart. I see them all the time at work, and I know someone who recently bought a set. I wouldnt buy them though, every time I see them, they are junk.

Anyone want to decode the VIN? With the higher-res on the disc, the VIN I can make out is:

1JTHL635(8/3)H(L/T)00075

574962_384591238245036_100000824882082_984046_924906202_n.jpg

Rob :dunno:

I think the first H looks more like an M and wouldn't the L be a T?

1: United States

J: Jeep Corporation

T: Truck

M: 4.0L

L: 5 spd manual, floor shift, part time 4wd

63: 4wd, 6' bed

5: Comanche Eliminator

8/3: ?

H: 1987

T: Toledo, Ohio

Doesn't look right to me. An Eliminator with 4wd with a date of 1987? I think I did that right... anyone verify?

Echo thanks to Rob for posting these pics up. :cheers:

I'm not going to nit-pick things I don't care for like some did :nuts:. Neohic said it best and sees the big picture. It's a time period creation, and for it's time period it's truly beautiful. And it was built by a team of MJ lovers who were probably the only folks at the time with vision enough to demonstrate how versatile an MJ could be. What I really like is the slotted (hopefully functional) front clip. It's a great way to gobble more air into the limited underhood real estate at speed for cooling.

Rob, thanks for sharing.

This concept truck is really something special, even if some of us don't care for the appearance.

Thanks again. I am quite surprised Chrysler even gave you (us) these pictures. I wonder why they had it pulled of of the warehouse. Just a consequence that it is being looked at again while all of these new concept trucks are appearing? Who knows, but I am optimistic.

I've been emailing him once every few months since he said that he would be up to taking pictures of it. He pretty much told me that it was buried (I mean who would ask for it besides us) and that if stuff ever got moved around, he would wash it and take some pics of it outside. I would have been perfectly happy with dirty inside pics, but there are some super secret things going on, and he can't have pics out. When I called him before the Detroit meet and greet, this was the case. He told me that there was no way we could go in there because they had some special projects that were going on that only the top top guys in Chrysler were allowed to see. When I offered to go in blindfolded and be lead to the truck he just laughed and said that there were parts everywhere from the project and that we couldn't see it.

I did send him a message tonight telling him that I posted the pics and that we wanted to say thank you. Hopefully he will stop by.

Rob

Those Goodyear Wrangler Radials are still being made and sold.... I think by Wal-Mart. I see them all the time at work, and I know someone who recently bought a set. I wouldnt buy them though, every time I see them, they are junk.

O i know, ive seen em, but the 1s in that picture just seem like a more M/T type of pattern....nowadays the tread has really been mild down it seems ;)

O and I agree with Ben (Neohic) pretty much word for word, This addiction we all have definently started early in the MJs career :thumbsup:

I love it. :drool: I think it's as gorgeous as any 80s Lamborghini or Ferrari. And like those 2 brands, it isn't practical for the real world but sure looks fantastic on a poster. :yes:

If it was mine, I'd rock it on the Silver Lake dunes comanche.gif

I'm not much of a fan of this truck. Lots of plastic, hack CA drop brackets.... Looks gaudy with all the light covers and ridiculous body kit. Those body kits are for street Comanches!

The only thing in my opinion that's cool is the fact it's a concept...

I'll take a red and black chief with rollbars. (real steel ones)

I agree.

Alright guys, now's your chance. I sent Brandt a link to our thread, and here is what he had to say:

Rob,

I’m glad you have received the disc with the photos. Sorry that the jewel case was damaged. We’ll pack the next one with extra bubble wrap as protection against the USPS. I read the thread and I see that some folks would like some more detailed shots of the interior and underhood. I knew there would be a repeat request for more photos and I’d be hearing back. If there are any certain details that you guys would like, let me know now and we’ll shoot them. It won’t be going in the Museum this year as the exhibits are all planned out until next spring. We’ll be tucking her back in her spot early next week so let me know.

FYI – Per the posts on the thread, we have added 2 extra armed guards and don’t forget, we’re in Detroit. The entire city creates a defensive perimeter.

Brandt

Brandt, thank you so much for being open to doing this, and taking time out of a busy schedule for us knuckleheads. I can't even begin to tell you what all this means to us.

Well guys, any more shots you want before they tuck it back in?

Rob