highest and lowest odometer readings.

dragonrider477

Mine had 59,000 in 2005 when I bought it.

I bought it from the third owner... I bought it from the sister of orig owner. She got it from another brother who got it from a second brother who died suddenly. The living brother never drove it, said he couldn't. It was his brothers truck. He gave it to the sister. The sister never really liked the truck. She kept it in the barn and only took it to the feed store once or twice a month for hay and grain!! TRUE STORY!!!

Now its got 78,XXX.

When I registered it the DMV returned the title stamped unverified mileage. I protested... Seems some DMV Personal couldn't substantiate mileage with DMV records. READ, he/she Couldn't believe it was correct so It couldn't be true... FREAKIN' LIBERAL. :headpop: Always think they know more and do things for your "own good". But lets not get started in that subject... I finally got it all straightened out with the help and records from the previous owners.

CW

213,290 on the old smoker. The old dog's a little week in the knees but still gets off the porch and goes to work every day. Bought it non running for $200 at 106,000 and had to put in another $500 to get her back on the job. I've had to add another $1000 or so over the years to keep her going but to get over 100,000 miles out of a truck that gets an average of 28 to 30 mpg with less than a $2000 investment is fine with me. It's not much to look at and some like to laugh at the old POS but it don't bother me. Many will spend more on their truck in one month on payments, fuel and insurance than I spend in a year. They can laugh all they want. It does draw some attention when its sitting still and running. I've had to open the hood MANY times for people that want to see what's making all that noise.

opsled

In response to Opsled's economic rationalization. Once you get over the surface appearance it makes no sense to buy a new car. In the effort to improve the quality of vehicles, the manufactures have created a new competitor, their own older models. In the past 20 years the durability has improved dramatically. 10 years 100,000 miles was the holy grail before, now we cruise right past it with virtually no maintenance. Even in the rust belts, it's nothing like it used to be.

As long as you can avoid major repair cost, a simple comparison can be done by dividing purchase by years. Tires, exhaust, alternators, etc don't enter the equation whereas a new engine does. Add the major repairs to purchase price. My new 86 Cherokee is now below $500 per year. My 88 Comanche like yours was $300 at 104000 miles put a couple of hundred in it and comes out at $200 to $300 per year. Can't beat the economics and you have pride of ownership, sense of accomplishment, and have a good looking truck with character and no worries of a few scratches or dents.

The down side is when the number of vehicles start approaching 10 because you want them all and you lose all the advantage with license and insurance fees.

My 1987 MJ has 138,000 on it, got it last year but It's still not on the road yet.

My 1991 YJ (which I am the original owner), now has 270,000+ miles it's a Daily Driver, and it makes me about $300 everytime it snows! :brows:

My Wifes 2001 XJ (limited) had 14,000 when we bout it in 2002 and is now coming up on 80,000.

I promised my YJ I'd refurbish it if it made it to 250,000, so this summer once I get the MJ rolling, it's getting some MUCH needed attention!