your first car

a1awind

My first car was a '69 Cutlass hardtop with a 310hp 350, a Muncie M-22 rockcrusher and a welded 4.10 rear diff. It cost $750.00 and I put another 500.00 into it. Total invesment $1250.00, total amount made racing it $2350.00. I sold it for $1000.00 after 2 years of abuse. It had single exhaust, was painted grey primer(both light and dark) and had a green drivers door. I never took it to the track but I could beat 13 second cars all day long. I only lost 2 races, the first one was a 440 6 pack Roadrunner that beat me by a fender in about a 1/4 mile. He had to play catch up since I holeshot him and had him by 2 cars at the top of 2nd gear. The other loss was to a Buick Gran Sport Stage 3, he was in primer and sounded wicked. He walked all over me. It was a low 11 sec car. I miss the wide open thottle powershifts(WOT). Later I removed every other tooth off of the syncros so I could do WOT shifts without using the clutch, just grab that shifter and slam the next gear.

I miss that car, but I miss my 11 sec 71 'Cuda even more.... That car was only beat by a '68 Hemi Dart, he got me by 1/2 a car. He was on slicks but I still got the holeshot. That 'Cuda would put the front tires in the air when I did a 5000 RPM holeshot on street tires and would get the tires up again on the shift to second. I really miss that car, at least I sold it to a good friend who is restoring it.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My first owned was a 41 Ford Club Cp at 16. Followed by as best i can recall 37-40 other cars & trucks over the years. VW's, 240Z, RX7's, v8 LUV, etc. My favorite this 56 Special. Put thous o miles on it in Europe from Denmark to Italy & places in between. A real autobahn cruiser in its time.

My first car was a 1972 Chevy Nova, purchsaed use in 1980 for $250.

it had a straight 6, 2barrel carb and a powergilde transmission.

I sure do miss that old torpedo.

My first Jeep was a 1981 CJ-8 Scrambler, bought used in 1987 for $2500.

My first brand new car was a 1991 YJ, which I still own, has almost 270,000 miles on it now.

first car i regularly drove (hand-me down beater): 90 chevy lumina euro w/3.1L engine. i loved that car, had good power, great fuel economy (i measured ~32mpg once driving from minneapolis to wausau, wi :cheers: ). got it up to over 120 once in a moment of 17yo foolishnish induced by cruising with friends on a friday...funny thing was, it drove better at 120 than my friend's 86 monte carlo with a 305 did at 60mph :nuts: . had some good times on some two tracks, too :D

first car i 'bought': 96 lumina with a 3.1L. good car, was free except it didn't come with wheels or tires. brake fluid got contaminated and i didn't want to put the money into replacing everything, so i scraped it for what i had into the wheels/tires.

first car i used money to buy: 87 cherokee 4.0 auto, which i sold a couple months ago.

1986 Ford LTD. 3.8 auto. my grandfather bought it in '87 from a dealership here in town cuz he knew the previous owner, who had bought it, drove to florida, drove bac and traded it in. he drove it until he died in '90, then my uncle drove it until i bought in '97 for $500. couldn't afford insurance so i sold it a month later for $600. good deal. i saw it on a used car lot about 3 years later for $2200! hahaha, i stopped in just for fun and asked the guy about it. this is literally what he said "i got it from the original owner about a week ago. he pretty much just drove it to church and back, and to visit his family in Saint John" (city about an hour away). i couldn't remember what was on it for mileage when i had it, but i'm pretty sure it had about 50,000 kms less on it when i saw it at the car lot. hehe, for some reason he couldn't explain the dent in the rear bumper from my grandfather backing into another car in 88 or 89.

funny, i had forgotten pretty much all of the story to this car until reading this thread and thinking about. ah, memories.... :popcorn:

everyone that could find a pic of their first so i found on of mine at one point. i went to a jeep101 and the chrysler rep was a lil stunned by the color .. called me a week later and told me that was the rarest jeep color combo ever made.

l_9a4594a840aef13c1502b90d337d5046.jpg

my first to drive was 89 ford probe, 2nd 92 honda acord, 3rd 87 subru xt, the first in my name was 94 ranger pu i loved that truck. Then my 97 gsxr (gixxer), and 95 5.0 mustang lost the last to when i got married lol. just sold my 94 toyota (miss it already),and currently have 99xj 6.5 BDS lift, 1947 cj-2a, 2007 dodge caravan. wanted anouther jeep but she would not have it LOL....

My first car was a '80 Mercury Zepher. Grey, 4 door, red vinyl bench seat front and back with wood grain trim and a AM only radio. 300cid?, inline 6 auto. Payed $500 for it when I was 16. It was a beast and much fun. I have fond memories of that car in highschool, however I don't miss it a bit now. You don't see many of those now, I wonder why...

Not mine, but very similar. Loved the '57 Chev styling.

Then you would have loved my first car.

I had a situation no 16 year-old should have: My neighbor worked at Sig Erson Cams and buily sprint car motors for fun. I'm lucky to have survived owning a 13 second, 4000 pound car with drum brakes. That's a '72 El Camino 12 bolt with 4.56's and a lincoln locker you're looking at.

Not mine, but very similar. Loved the '57 Chev styling.

Then you would have loved my first car.

I had a situation no 16 year-old should have: My neighbor worked at Sig Erson Cams and buily sprint car motors for fun. I'm lucky to have survived owning a 13 second, 4000 pound car with drum brakes. That's a '72 El Camino 12 bolt with 4.56's and a lincoln locker you're looking at.

And I bet you would love to have it back ;)

Sure wish I had the wisdom back when I was a young pup as I do now and would have kept that old mustang I had :D

:D My first car was a 1979 Ford Fiesta!! I got it for $350 bucks and drove it until the floorboard fell out :rotfl2: Man was it ugly but, I loved that little car. It would top out at 75mph but at 65 everything in it would rattle. Talk about a tank, one day it started jerking around but still ran so I took it to my buddies shop and he said holy SH*$ look at this!!! He grabed the carb and lifted it straight off the motor, (I guess I hit 65 too many times and shook the carb bolts clean off) Man I am going to call the guy I sold it to and see if I can get it back, I bet that thing would be awesome with a 289 or a 302 in it. :brows:

First Car: 1953 Ford Coupe flathead V8. Free, my cousin gave it to me if I would haul it out of his yard. Towed it to the gas station I worked in after school and on weekends, and immediately swapped in a 58 Olds J2 engine from a wreck out back. I called in the Snapper because when you really got on it at the stop lights it would bust the axles.

First Car I Actually Paid For: 1963 Studebaker Avanti 289 V8 w. R2-version Paxton Supercharger. Drove that thing all over the country, and kept it for 15 years. 10 MPG tops. Got married and sold it because I couldn't afford the gas. Many cars since, but this is the one I really wish I had back :cheers:

88 xj i paid 1k for, had to have it, overheated on the way home, topped off the coolant with spicket water at a gas station and took it and flexed it on some plastic sewer pipe.... sold it the next week for 1200 (300 down and 100 a month) and the kid never paid me off... when he joined the marines, i got it back, and at the time, i had another 88, a 92 and a 93zj... sold it for 400 bucks with a disc'd 4.10 8.8

then was the 86 chevy best 4wd i ever owned.... then the 87 turbo 4 runner, coolest dash of anything i ever owned...

1st vehicle: 88 Comanche Eliminator (sand bags in the rear make it droop)

Image Not Found

2nd vehicle: 86 Comanche X 4wd (poor 2.8L)

Image Not Found

3rd vehicle: 91 Comanche Eliminator 4wd (one empty, one full)

4th vehicle: 86 Comanche X 4wd (yes a 2nd X!!)

Image Not Found

All within the last... oh.... 2-3 years I think. lol

Alex