Subwoofers.

I run an 8" Solo Baric sub that's old enough to drink. :D  rated for like a billion watts and is all I've ever wanted in a subwoofer.  give me epic bass, but without sacrificing all my storage.  It's in the Liberty now, but started life in the MJ back in like 98?  it's old for sure. :laugh:  I'm feeding it several hundred watts right now.  the amp is a cheap mono amp so I doubt it's spitting out the 1000+ that it claims.  meh.  still works great.   :jammin: 

buy quality, feed it all the power it can take, and you don't need dual 12s eating all your valuable storage space.  :L: 

or, if you're just looking for a bit of oomph to the songs without sharing with the rest of the neighborhood, any ol' 8" woofer in a small box will make you smile.  :D  you don't need to spend a ton because the cab is ridiculously small.  you'll feel it for sure.  just don't buy any speaker made of paper.  not even sure if that still is a thing in the aftermarket, but just in case. :L: 

20200707_145354.jpg

Yeah like Pete i run 2 8" subs in separate boxes behind my bench. Cheap enough speakers being i got them on closeout but their better quality then paper cones. They are 4 ohms i wanna say and can handle 500watts each so i run a 1000watt amp split between the pair. Rocks out the neighborhood 😎.  I like to be able to get a back massage while cruising down the road with the doors off. I also have a pair of 5 1/4" in the kick panels on the floor vs the doors. Those are ran straight to radio, no amplifier, and are due to be replaced as they have taken a beating over the years being first set of speakers installed. The next set will be marine grade for the water resistance and built in tweeters which will help me hear it better with the doors off. 

Been researching this myself recently after replacing the speakers with some decent ones.  I think I'm gonna go with this compact kicker setup, has tons of good reviews and I think it will give just the right amount of bump without sacrificing what little space we have in the back of the cab.  A little pricey but I think it'd be worth it.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_20611HS8/Kicker-11HS8.html

I run a Bazooka 6.5" dual voice coil sub at a 2 ohm load. My Pioneer "high power" head unit can run a mono 70w output at 2 ohms on one of the rear channels. The sub is rated up to 300 watts, but you'd be amazed at how solid it sounds with just 70w. And it takes up very little room behind the passenger seat. I've seen some people use one 8" DVC tube and others use two 6.5" tubes with just a single voice coil, one behind each seat. Lots of options. :dunno: 

24 minutes ago, watchamakalit said:

I had a set of 10 pioneers in custom boxes in mine for a few years. WAY too much in my opinion 1 8" sub would be plenty to sound good. 2 10's will piss off alot of neighbors. Lol

Which is why i have 2..:grinyes:

1 hour ago, Jeep Driver said:

That’s what I was going for originally. Was planning to mount it to the back panel centering the center console to the sub. That would still leave some cargo room on each side. Then the thought of a tw3 hit me and I could never choose lol

• 5 months later...
On 6/17/2021 at 4:04 PM, WahooSteeler said:

I run a Bazooka 6.5" dual voice coil sub at a 2 ohm load. My Pioneer "high power" head unit can run a mono 70w output at 2 ohms on one of the rear channels. The sub is rated up to 300 watts, but you'd be amazed at how solid it sounds with just 70w. And it takes up very little room behind the passenger seat. I've seen some people use one 8" DVC tube and others use two 6.5" tubes with just a single voice coil, one behind each seat. Lots of options. :dunno: 

Bazooka for sure, does not take up a lot of space, and makes a quality woofer (I run a 10" Fosgate) sound amazing!

• 2 weeks later...

I plan on an Alpine type R shallow 12 and a passive radiator to get the ported efficiency of a vented box with the lower tuning frequency and increases power handling but allows for an increased bandwidth. Eq or dsp is a must since the Comanche has a HUGE midbass hump and needs to be minimized by reducing those frequencies respectively. You can use a smart phone as a microphone with an app.

More complicated than a Grand Am for sure. No cabin gain to take advantage of.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

On 6/16/2021 at 10:44 PM, Pete M said:

I run an 8" Solo Baric sub that's old enough to drink. :D  rated for like a billion watts and is all I've ever wanted in a subwoofer.  give me epic bass, but without sacrificing all my storage.  It's in the Liberty now, but started life in the MJ back in like 98?  it's old for sure. :laugh:

I like this discussion and had to chime in and brag a bit about my 1990 Pioneer TS-TRX50 speakers that are only two years older than my '88!

TRX50 Speakers.jpg

TRX50 Speaker Manual.jpg