My state has gone crazy again

jdog

Apparently the news is forcasting a storm over the weekend, you would think they announced Armageddon. The stores are barren of food but at least there's tp still.

Mind you we are a state that gets snow for winter, it's nothing new.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They do tend to exaggerate a lot.  But 1-2 feet or more is a lot.  It probably won't be as bad as some are suggesting but it probably will be significant.

But yeah, people are going nuts over this.

I'm already ready for a storm.  I always have supplies on hand in the winter.

3 minutes ago, Renoenvy08 said:

You'd think people in washington could drive in the rain, they can untill the weather changes then they forget how when it rains again. What's sad is this goes for all weather

My girlfriend says the same thing all the time and I’ve witnessed it a few times. Kinda sad when an Arizonan can drive in the rain better than those who live in a state where it rains a lot. 

Few weeks ago they called for a few inches got over a foot. Last year snowmegedon was going to happen and barley a dusting. Metrologist suck here, it's seriously a joke. Doesn't help all the rtards from texas and California that move hear and can't figure out it's the fn rockies and snow happens so freak out when a snow flake drops. 

grocery stores don't stock much compared to the population that surrounds them.  if everyone in the area simple walked in and bought their regular weekly stuff on the same day, the store gets emptied.  the people don't even have to buy more than normal.  it's common practice to only have what the store needs for a day or 2 on the shelf at any point in time. 

8 hours ago, Pete M said:

grocery stores don't stock much compared to the population that surrounds them.  if everyone in the area simple walked in and bought their regular weekly stuff on the same day, the store gets emptied.  the people don't even have to buy more than normal.  it's common practice to only have what the store needs for a day or 2 on the shelf at any point in time. 

Better known as JIT, or "just in time" inventory management theory in the industry (kinda what I do for a living).  This methodology was born around the early 2000's in American business, or rather "discovered" by some that shouldn't have.  It's pretty standard in the manufacturing industry, a good example being the automakers, and it's an excellent model for that type of environment.  Problem is, it does NOT translate well across different business sectors in our economy.  It works perfectly when you can predict demand accurately, quite unlike.....say......a grocery store.  I could go on for hours about this, I fight with it every day.  In my personal life, I'm just like probably most here, and stay prepared for the SHTF moment all the time.  'Cause you know it's gonna happen, eventually.

12 hours ago, eaglescout526 said:

My girlfriend says the same thing all the time and I’ve witnessed it a few times. Kinda sad when an Arizonan can drive in the rain better than those who live in a state where it rains a lot. 

In my local area, 99.9% of the people drive fine in the rain, or the times when it switches from dry to wet. I suspect it's about the same in larger areas. And when you multiply it out, I have about 5 dum6a$$es on the road every day. In a metro area, you have a 1000 of them, so they are going to become more noticeable. 

4 hours ago, mjeff87 said:

Better known as JIT, or "just in time" inventory management theory in the industry (kinda what I do for a living).  This methodology was born around the early 2000's in American business, or rather "discovered" by some that shouldn't have.  It's pretty standard in the manufacturing industry, a good example being the automakers, and it's an excellent model for that type of environment.  Problem is, it does NOT translate well across different business sectors in our economy.  It works perfectly when you can predict demand accurately, quite unlike.....say......a grocery store.  I could go on for hours about this, I fight with it every day.  In my personal life, I'm just like probably most here, and stay prepared for the SHTF moment all the time.  'Cause you know it's gonna happen, eventually.

That seems stupid,  but I can see why they do it

27 minutes ago, jdog said:

That seems stupid,  but I can see why they do it

WIthout a long boring discussion of it (which I'm sure pretty much anyone doesn't want to do, LOL), the bottom line is that "inventory" is a business liability, and it ties up cash reserves.  The less of it you have to have on hand, the better off (and I'm really stretching the definition of that.....) a business is.  You bring in and hold just enough of what you need to get the "whatever it is" done within a specific timeframe, with no extra inventory, then you plan to restock your inventory juuuussstttt before you run out.  Rinse and repeat.  Like I said, it works great for assembly-line type manufacturing, but NOT for any kind of business that has exposure to any kind of variation (grocery stores are a perfect example).  If demand suddenly changes, or if there's ANY kind of disruption in your supply chain (and there's a 1000 different things that can affect that, trust me), and you don't get your new inventory "just in time", you're screwed.  And then it compounds, especially if you are a public-facing type of business.  Thankfully, I only have about 8 more years of putting up with crazy theories like this happening, caused by somebody with a buncha' book-smarts that think they are the business world's saviors.  Hah.

edit:  another small part of it is that inventory takes up physical space, and the more of it you have the more space you need to store it in.  Most businesses consider that space as non-revenue generating, and thus not worth having or paying for.  That's a whole 'nother argument/discussion, but it's related.  And it's horse crap.

if you don't do it, you're losing money.  and if you're losing money, you're losing to your competition because you'd better believe they are doing it.  the key is having a plan for problems, and I see a lot of failure on that aspect.  :dunno: 

welcome to my bachelor's degree. :D  good ol' Industrial Engineering. 

11 hours ago, derf said:

I keep thinking back to this...

This is the truth. I believe it was @Jeep Driver that said a while back that it is easy to get along with most people on a 1 on 1 basis, but society as a whole is stupid. Of course, I'm paraphrasing, but I think you catch the drift.

6 hours ago, 89 MJ said:

This is the truth. I believe it was @Jeep Driver that said a while back that it is easy to get along with most people on a 1 on 1 basis, but society as a whole is stupid. Of course, I'm paraphrasing, but I think you catch the drift.

Actually I said much more than that. 

What I said has all come to pass and then some.

But, my comments were cancelled here........and so goes cancel-culture. 

Culture, govt, cults, religion.....etc...my hobbies, it's what I study. 

It's a shame that people have to be kept in the dark. 

Somehow I live in a radar dead spot. Just out of range of three stations. We get the storm warnings but no guarantee they’ll hit us, or any way to tell where they’re going. Course I don’t know if it would make much difference here in the mountains, weather will hit one, bounce off and blow up the valley next to it, maybe it’ll go the other direction... almost unpredictable. A couple years back I was up hiking and watching a thunderstorm absolutely hammer town ten miles away from about 5000 feet up, under a glorious bluebird sky. Just as I was heading back to the Jeep a cloud literally rolled up out of the bottom of the valley and as soon as I closed the door it was like a sheet of water dropped out of the sky, so much the wipers were useless. Had to wait it out.

And you want to see some clueless driving? Tourists in rentals on summer tires when it dumps a foot of snow on us in July...

Got a dusting overnight and it’s overcast up in Woodland Park. 

image.gif.e7043fe564e192421f52115a29d36ab2.gif

We like to venture out at odd times to avoid people and Thursday/Friday mornings turned out to be our sweet spot. I didn’t go, but my wife hit the grocery store yesterday morning for nothing more than our usual staples for the week. She was telling me that it was crazy!! Granted, the higher into the mountains from us always gets hit harder with weather and we’re kind of the last major stop for a while. Seriously though?!?! It was odd what the crowds were going after when you think of stocking up to hunker down for a while! Plenty of fresh produce, bakery fresh breads, meats, and even the canned goods looked pretty good. Frozen foods and dairy were stripped clean. People had carts full of milk, eggs, and bread like they live on French toast and nothing else!

We’ll be back into 40s by the middle of next week. If we get hit it’ll be nothing more than a messy sidewalk causing memory. 

Yep, gotta love the forecasters, we ain't got $#!& here. Seems par to the course of forecasters, they always predict a big storm and it does nothing, predict 3ins and we get feet.