• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

27 minutes ago, Pete M said:

weather is... complicated.

that it is, but they have been going on for 2 weeks about this storm gonna be the biggest we have seen in years, kinda like oh look theres a cloud, lots of snow

if the data supports that as a good possibility, they have a duty to let everyone know.  :L: 

(what the media does with that info afterwords is a completely different thing)

the wood stove was the final addition to my shelter-at-home plan.  at any point in time we could stay here for 2 weeks straight, no matter what the weather brings. :D  (unless said weather brings a tornado of course)  

36 minutes ago, Pete M said:

weather is... complicated.

Yeah, the math is well understood.  Trouble is, there are so many equations to run that even our biggest computers can't do them fast enough to be useful.

They can generate a very accurate forecast for the next 24 hours.  But it takes weeks to generate it.  So it's not useful.  Yet.

I hope you are ready for Snowmageddeon.

Models are all statistics, you need an experienced forecaster to interpret them, sometimes. I always prefer to look directly at the National Weather Service information and go from there. The apps on phones are notorious for only using a numeric forecast, and those can miss on some of the influences pretty badly.