looking for evidence of 3.73 gears ever coming in an MJ

The elusive 3.73 gears. All my years of working on Jeeps at the dealership and owning I have never seen 3.73 in an MJ. I’ve had people say yes I have 3.73 in my Comanche or Cherokee . I run there vin on the Chrysler VIP system and check there options list. 3.07. Sorry.
My experience with both MJ and XJ 2.5 L4 and 2.8 V6= 4.10.
4.0 manual trans 3.07 gears. 4.0 automatic 3.55 gears. I’ve seen a couple of manual trans vehicles with 3.55 very rare special order.
I believe the parts catalog does show 3.73 . I’d have to verify at work tomorrow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have the hulk of an '86 XJ in the yard. It has a 2.8L V6, auto, and 3.73 gears. I haven't seen many '86 MJs, so I can't say that I've ever seen an MJ with 3,73s.

Looks like for '86 the choices in the MJ were 3.31, 3.55, or 4.11

image.png.e1b192753ed567240d0381310a618f11.png

can you screenshot a page?  car-part.com does not list such a thing and my parts manual only goes back to 87.

Car-part is based off Hollander parts catalog, there will be odd ball stuff that will not fit any existing category, if the inventory guy is on his feet then they’ll list it close as possible and list it in the description. If they are on their toes they’ll list any 3.73 they find with the correct number 434-01564G, 434-01433D (front axel Dana 30) , 435-01421E (Dana 35 rear), if the inventory guy isn’t on his game it’ll be listed as whatever they think it looks like with a check ratio.

1984-85 xj Hollander does list 3.73, the fact they don’t list it for 1986 XJ & MJ means it was so odd ball AMC or Chrysler (depending when Hollander got information from Jeep ) never listed it as a option.
I know I’ve got 3.73 axels off 1986 XJ, I’m sure I’ve seen MJ with it but wouldn’t swear to it.

I tried years ago to get a build sheet for my old XJ, I was told records didn’t go back that far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Just looking for some evidence, one way or the other.  can't really use car-part.com as an outright bible, it's just a reference.  really wish I had a paper 86 parts manual. :(  

7 hours ago, Eagle said:

I have the hulk of an '86 XJ in the yard. It has a 2.8L V6, auto, and 3.73 gears. I haven't seen many '86 MJs, so I can't say that I've ever seen an MJ with 3,73s.

Looks like for '86 the choices in the MJ were 3.31, 3.55, or 4.11

image.png.e1b192753ed567240d0381310a618f11.png

can you email me the fullsize image?  I can't quite read what our site has shrunken and saved. :(

thanks everyone!  got the info I needed and now I get to win an argument with strangers on the internet.  :banana:

Just kidding. :laugh:   but I do feel like I can make a difference to anyone else that might be reading the topic.  Accuracy counts. :D

4 hours ago, Pete M said:

thanks everyone!  got the info I needed and now I get to win an argument with strangers on the internet.  :banana:

Just kidding. :laugh:   but I do feel like I can make a difference to anyone else that might be reading the topic.  Accuracy counts. :D

hes-right-you-know.jpg

part of it was I missed a word.  the one guy said waggys and my brain skimmed over that.  :doh:  but in the end I was still hunting for the same page that answered everything.

as I tell my eldest nephew all the time, it's important to read ALL the words.  :laugh:  (he's a little genius and if he gets an answer wrong at school it's almost always because he read it too fast)

12 hours ago, Eagle said:

Pete - you've got mail

Been a while since I've heard that.  Almost as annoying as the dialup tone back then...  Kind of nostalgic now.  

PS - Pete being wrong about an MJ thing?  I ain't hunting no sky pigs yet!

I'm a clinically forgetful chap.  I just try to look stuff up before typing and so it makes me seem more knowledgeable than I actually am. :D   I have very much forgotten more stuff than kids today know (but it's mostly because it all evaporates so easily).

2 hours ago, Pete M said:

I'm a clinically forgetful chap.  I just try to look stuff up before typing and so it makes me seem more knowledgeable than I actually am. :D   I have very much forgotten more stuff than kids today know (but it's mostly because it all evaporates so easily).

It's impossible to know everything, and I am frequently amused by people who like to think that they do. To survive (if not succeed) in this world, what's more important is knowing where to look for information, so that you DON'T have to rely on fallible, human memory.

18 hours ago, Pete M said:

“Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

Mark Twain

12 hours ago, 87MJTIM said:

“Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

Mark Twain

Personally I like: Having a discussion with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how well you play it will just knock over all the pieces, crap on the board, and strut around thinking it won.

2 hours ago, JustEmptyEveryPocket said:

Personally I like: Having a discussion with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how well you play it will just knock over all the pieces, crap on the board, and strut around thinking it won.

Never heard that one before. I like it. Too true!

On 6/17/2020 at 10:48 PM, Pete M said:

best shot is an 86.  anyone got one?  got a build sheet?  anything in the chrysler computers?

I had an 88 chief, metric tone, tow package, auto 4x4 with np242 with buckets and lighted Lund, and 3.73s with trac-lock.  All on original order sheet from dealership.

but, that’s a unicorn.

an 84-85 xj with carb’d 2.5 and auto would be the most likely source for 3.73s