120mph speedometer

6 hours ago, schardein said:

I run the 120mph cluster in my MJ.

IMG_7155.jpg

Nice! I was wanting to just get the speedometer and put it in my HO cluster but ended up getting a set of the azzy gauge overlays and didn’t want to go through the hassle of having them customize the number layout

• 1 month later...

what are the considerations for this going into the '87.  physical swap in the gauge cluster not an issue.

But it's electronic right?  What do I need to change to incorporate this into the analog system?

Obviously I won't need a new speedo cable but... what about the sender?

Thanks!

There's a HO version of the other (higher end) gauge cluster in the UK that has a 120 mph speedo also. I'm running it in my trucks without issue. Only slight mod to get it to work with US trucks. Just an FYI. Doesn't help Renix-ers, sorry.

On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2020 at 12:20 PM, schardein said:

IMG_7155.jpg

Got me all excited.  I thought the one pictured above, was the one posted on eBay.  I would go for something like this with the PRNDL window.

On 7/6/2020 at 2:04 AM, TheJeepNut said:

what are the considerations for this going into the '87.  physical swap in the gauge cluster not an issue.

But it's electronic right?  What do I need to change to incorporate this into the analog system?

Obviously I won't need a new speedo cable but... what about the sender?

Thanks!

Dakota digital and several others will make a cable drive to electric speedometer “box” but you could also just swap to the later model vss and install it on you transfer case. There is a 2 wire and a 3 wire unit and in all reality either one will work but will be a bit of a wiring project. The Dakota digital box will let you fine tune your speedometer to calibrate for tire size so your speedometer can be dead on. 

3 hours ago, NHMJXJ said:

Got me all excited.  I thought the one pictured above, was the one posted on eBay.  I would go for something like this with the PRNDL window.

Personally I’d prefer to have a tachometer over the large fuel gauge but if your looking for one like the picture, it’s out of a police package XJ. 

On 7/7/2020 at 4:17 PM, Vineyard86manch said:

Looking at this makes me visualize driving my 4cylinder mj 120 mph, I would never do that to my old girl:))

I think you meant:

Looking at this makes me visualize driving my 4cylinder mj 120 mph, I could never do that in my old girl:))

:jump:

5 minutes ago, fiatslug87 said:

I think you meant:

Looking at this makes me visualize driving my 4cylinder mj 120 mph, I could never do that in my old girl:))

:jump:

Hahahaha yes I think it would take a long steep downhill and a tailwind and it probably still wouldn’t happen:))) 

24 minutes ago, Vineyard86manch said:

Hahahaha yes I think it would take a long steep downhill and a tailwind and it probably still wouldn’t happen:))) 

If I didn't hug the brake so much on my way down from Payson last year I probably could've saw 90MPH. Course I still had poly bushings so she rattled like hell and kept her at 75.

But I can't even imagine a 2.5L going that fast.

3 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

If I didn't hug the brake so much on my way down from Payson last year I probably could've saw 90MPH. Course I still had poly bushings so she rattled like hell and kept her at 75.

But I can't even imagine a 2.5L going that fast.

Yeah I’m sure it would end up badly!

On 7/7/2020 at 6:44 PM, ghetdjc320 said:

Dakota digital and several others will make a cable drive to electric speedometer “box” but you could also just swap to the later model vss and install it on you transfer case. There is a 2 wire and a 3 wire unit and in all reality either one will work but will be a bit of a wiring project. The Dakota digital box will let you fine tune your speedometer to calibrate for tire size so your speedometer can be dead on. 

So I did a little research and I see the OPPOSITE.  Cable drive speedo to electronic speed signal.

Let me know if you see different.

8 minutes ago, JolietJEEP'84 said:

So I did a little research and I see the OPPOSITE.  Cable drive speedo to electronic speed signal.

Let me know if you see different.

Just use the vss and swap your sending unit. Wouldn’t coat much at all for a junk yard

When I had my MJ stateside I don’t think it would have had a problem hitting 120. At 95 it had plenty left to give. If you have the right gearing and a good strong engine it shouldn’t be a problem unless your running massive tires and lift. 

25 minutes ago, ghetdjc320 said:

When I had my MJ stateside I don’t think it would have had a problem hitting 120. At 95 it had plenty left to give. If you have the right gearing and a good strong engine it shouldn’t be a problem unless your running massive tires and lift. 

That was my experience too.

I mean, doing triple digits in a 30 year old Jeep pickup probably isn't the safest thing in the world, but it's nowhere near as dramatic as people might think. I have every reason to believe mine could pin that 120mph speedometer.

Well all I can add to this is my own stupidity, back about 30 + years ago when my truck had less than 5000 miles on it I did manage to run the 85 mph speedometer all the way around to the zero stop.  Before anybody says anything about bragging looking back now probably one of the top 10 dumbest things I have ever done.