CC cookbook

jdog

By special request from Mrs. Watchamakalit:

3lbs largely diced potatoes.
Rinse and placed in large pot.  
Add enough water to cover potatoes. (Can also use 1/2 water, 1/2 chicken broth.) Add garlic and onion salt. Bring to boil and cover.  

Boil till you can poke with fork, but not fully fork tender.

Turn down to simmer.   Add 1 block cream cheese, diced melts faster. Once melted,  add 1 can cream mushroom,  1 can cream celery, 1 stick butter, 1 cup milk.  Continue to simmer until potatoes are fork tender.

Scoop into bowl and add freshly shredded cheese and bacon bits.

there are lots of ways to make potato soup. :D   I know because I just looked through a half dozen online recipes to find something that felt close to what I remember my grandma made, and I have a feeling every time she made it it was a bit different. :laugh:   (except no spicy things were added as in this one).  it's good to have a bit of instant potatoes on hadn to thicken it if needed.  oh, and we always leave the skins on.

https://sugarspunrun.com/creamy-potato-soup-recipe/

42 minutes ago, watchamakalit said:

By special request from Mrs. Watchamakalit:

3lbs largely diced potatoes.
Rinse and placed in large pot.  
Add enough water to cover potatoes. (Can also use 1/2 water, 1/2 chicken broth.) Add garlic and onion salt. Bring to boil and cover.  

Boil till you can poke with fork, but not fully fork tender.

Turn down to simmer.   Add 1 block cream cheese, diced melts faster. Once melted,  add 1 can cream mushroom,  1 can cream celery, 1 stick butter, 1 cup milk.  Continue to simmer until potatoes are fork tender.

Scoop into bowl and add freshly shredded cheese and bacon bits.

Much appreciated Mrs. Watchamakalit

Thank you

3 hours ago, Pete M said:

there are lots of ways to make potato soup. :D   I know because I just looked through a half dozen online recipes to find something that felt close to what I remember my grandma made, and I have a feeling every time she made it it was a bit different. :laugh:   (except no spicy things were added as in this one).  it's good to have a bit of instant potatoes on hadn to thicken it if needed.  oh, and we always leave the skins on.

https://sugarspunrun.com/creamy-potato-soup-recipe/

The skins are the best part of potatoes. That’s where all the nutrients are.

Also l don’t care for whipped potatoes.

I like smashed potatoes, hit a whole potato once with a masher and call it good. Pepper and butter are all you need.

This is arguably a potato soup. Potato and leak with shrimp, if you will. Excellent for warming you up on a cold and wet day.

a671ce0a37bdb8796dada595dc611a01--redwall-shire.jpg.8d238ce53f89b66fdf71d71696733244.jpg

I think there's a mistake in the recipe though. If you only add 1-1/2 cups of stock you don't really end up with soup. It'll still cook, but it's just barely enough liquid for the potatoes and you just end up with some messy vegetables by the end. I usually end up using about a quart of stock to get enough liquid in it. I also usually do a combo of curry and cayenne, and a bit of heat in it is nice.

And yes, this is a recipe from a series of children's novels. It's a staple food among otters, and the original recipe is made up of ingredients that can be found in and around water. Bulrushes, mare's tail, and watercress rather than leaks, and their tubers and rhizomes instead of potatoes, possibly water chestnuts. But then those ingredients aren't on the shelf at most grocery stores, and the alternatives aren't so bad. There's a fair bit of speculation on what the hotroot is. You might think a horseradish, but the fictional plant in the books, ditchnettle, is more of an herb, and they don't necessarily use the roots of it. The best guesses point towards smartweed, also known as water pepper, which apparently is more of a pepperminty sort of pepper than a chilli pepper, but the chilli does do nicely.

Wild watercress can have quite a bite to it...I used to work at a country club as a line cook years ago.  There was a crazy old guy who lived up in the hills that grew it.  Every once in awhile he'd show up at the back door with a paper grocery bag full of it.  Chef would give him $10-$20 for it so he could go buy some wine and we'd use the 'cress for soups and plate garnishes.  And it was HOT.

• 4 weeks later...

Pickled Peppers

I put these things on just about anything. Sandwich? Yup. Eggs? Why not. They’re mildly time consuming as I don’t have any sort of chopping device or food processor… it’s an activity. They’re also a “choose your own adventure” in terms of spice or sweetness. All depends on your choice of peppers. Here’s my list from this time but I usually make it up when I can get fresh produce from my local farmer’s market…

1/2 pound jalapeños

Few fresnos

One habanero

One pasilla

5AC188B3-86BA-480C-AB45-4862E6B39FA0.jpeg.4cd8c53de717b1ef11ebf8078227dec6.jpeg

… sweeter recipes can use a red pepper or poblano instead of the pasilla. Using a habanero is totally up to you also. Just be careful when handling the peppers. Don’t tough your eyes and wash your hands immediately afterwards! You’ll definitely find all those little cuts on your fingers that you forgot about.

Anyhow, cut up the peppers however you want. I try to make my cuts no thicker than 1/8” and I remove all seeds. 

E766C3F1-AE3F-4566-B1C6-258C6CEE98BD.jpeg.16c90941823e4b59d31e583cb7540134.jpeg

Cram it all into a mason jar and add about two cloves worth of fresh garlic. 

BCB1BC91-42DB-47C1-815B-B346D98BDA72.jpeg.4e4911e34c4bddeaa0ffd5d880acf672.jpeg

Brine time. Use a small sauce pan and put this stuff in it…

1 cup of water

1/2 cup white distilled vinegar

1/2 cup apple cider vinegar

1 teaspoon salt

2 tablespoons honey

6130AFDD-130A-4FCF-9AF6-4397E9D8C1E9.jpeg.cdcec5a53ff754f6cc617382c90e1f45.jpeg

Don’t get a rolling boil, but warm it all up to dissolve the salt and honey. Let it go until it just barely starts boiling. 

35C3487B-55AC-4AD4-BE34-316E08BFF073.jpeg.43ddb21f0d0e2c025a56d94339150590.jpeg

Slowly add it to the jar of peppers. It’ll just about fill it completely. Put a lid on it. 

304EABD9-7E51-47BC-97C0-2C2D87A7B0D4.jpeg.ea747f71b9d59ab62439565f4c57270a.jpeg

Give it a good shake to get everything all raving together. 

14170ACA-993A-46D4-9E79-DB1625403662.jpeg.4da97c27ee4a03e3446bfc25ca7c79a9.jpeg

Let it cool on your counter then put it in the fridge. Forget about it for at least a week. Enjoy on tons of stuff. 

• 4 weeks later...

Got a new Akorn Kamado grill that has an auto temp feature so tried my hand at smoking. Had the regular Akorn before and I absolutely loved it, but setting the temp took some work so never smoked in it. It was starting to get beat up and I got the new one for insanely cheap.

I went it to this completely blind, never smoked anything before but have always wanted to. Did a chicken with a homemade chili lime seasoning and added pecan wood chunks. Overall came out decent. Next go around think I'll brine it and I messed up not soaking the wood chunks so little on the unsmokey side. Also think I'll mix up some seasoning and rubs. Temp was 250 for about 4 hours to get 165*. Fun experience overall. 

IMG_20221220_173232011.jpg

IMG_20221220_130457100.jpg

• 3 months later...
On 4/19/2020 at 2:35 PM, dasbulliwagen said:

Potato cheese soup. Awesome! The recipe is scalable, and it's a little smoother if you substitute heavy cream for the milk. I'm not sure why it's called cheddar, because there's no cheddar in it.

Cheese Soup.jpg

Made this tonight, you are correct

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

crap, that's this weekend!?  well, I'm trapped in Michigan until my crowns come in on the 7th.  I wonder if I can convince my buddy Mike to break out that smoker he bought and used exactly once.  :laugh: 

• 2 weeks later...

ended up at my Aunt's for Labor day.  she made some custom fancy turkey burgers for me (cow bothers my gut) plus regluar burgers for everyone else, plus deep fried perch and some homemade fish cakes (though I forget what fish was used).  :D  plus some tater tots, extra crispy. :drool:

• 5 months later...