1989 Comanche Rear Lift

Would like to lift the rear a few inches. Have added a shackle lift for a whole inch. What else is out there? Rearched leaf springs, add a leafs ?  Don’t want to do a springover. Don’t want 5” of lift just a couple 2” or so. I know Cherokee springs are shorter so that’s no help. Don’t see much listed for Comanches. 

I don't think there are anything under 4.5" that isn't an add a leaf.  4.5" and up will be full pack or spring over.

For 1" - 2" you could try the Metric Ton springs, sounds like those give some guys a small increase in height.  Otherwise add a leaf is about your only option other than bastard pack from some other vehicle with taller springs.

When I called about reaching springs near me they wanted more than a new spring would cost so it's quite cost prohibitive.

What shape are your current springs? If they're like 50% of MJs out there, they probably are sagged pretty bad. As an extreme example my 2wd MJ with ~110,000 miles sits about two inches higher in the back than my 4x4 with ~330,000 miles, even though the 4x4 springs put it an inch higher from factory. That's three inches lost to sag.

15 minutes ago, gogmorgo said:

What shape are your current springs? If they're like 50% of MJs out there, they probably are sagged pretty bad. As an extreme example my 2wd MJ with ~110,000 miles sits about two inches higher in the back than my 4x4 with ~330,000 miles, even though the 4x4 springs put it an inch higher from factory. That's three inches lost to sag.

My 2wd springs were so sagged out that I went SOA with them and it matched the RE 3.5" front lift springs perfectly. :roflmao:

(Yes, I planned that)

Rancho makes an AAL kit that's listed for both the Comanche and the Cherokee. It's not quite full-length in the MJ, more like about 3/4 length. The catalog shows it as providing 2-1/2" of lift for both the XJ and the MJ. That's impossible, of course. When I called Rancho to ask, the engineer I spoke with consulted with another engineer and they agreed that I was correct. They said the Rancho AAL is probably good for about 1-1/2" in a Comanche.

Before getting too carried away with managing sag, it's worth taking some quick measurements just to see where you're at. Scroll down to Eagle's post for factory specs.

I don't think it's completely wise to go SOA with sagged springs (as Dirty suggests) if you actually do much with your truck. Probably this is obvious to most but the pedant in me feels the need to point it out. If a leaf spring is sagged, that means it's been compromised. Fatigue from flexing over time means the metal no longer has the same strength as before, which is why it's frequently reported that a re-arched spring has sagged back down to where it was in a short timeframe, it simply can't handle the load any more. Again an extreme example, but the MJ I refer to above only needs about half the rated payload to have the frame sitting on the axle. My MJ with less worn springs had no such issues with as close to the full rated payload as I've ever got.

10 hours ago, gogmorgo said:

Before getting too carried away with managing sag, it's worth taking some quick measurements just to see where you're at. Scroll down to Eagle's post for factory specs.

Gogmorgo has twice mentioned that before deciding what route to follow with springs, it helps to know if the original springs have sagged. In this discussion, we don't have any answer to that question. The original post mentions lifting "a couple" of inches, but there has been nothing to suggest that the original springs have sagged. Perhaps 1989Commanche could take those measurements and let us know what the existing situation really is before we get too deep into suggestions.

It would also help to know what size tires you want to run and how you plan to use the vehicle. Will it ever carry heavy loads, or is it always going to be empty or lightly loaded?

28 minutes ago, 1989commanche said:

Ok just got time to crawl under in the daylight. Couldn’t  juggle flashlight and tape measure at the same time. I come up with 8 1/4” on pass side and 8 1/8 on driver side. From top of axle to frame rail at center of bumpstop. 

3B7125EE-5084-4724-A272-E3F4E5E2297F.jpeg

I just measured mine.

I'm at 12.75.

My axle is .5 larger in diameter than yours, 13.25 to compensate. 

I currently have my bed off, .5 to compensate. 

I'm back at 12.75

Approximately 4.5" beyond stock. 

I'm using the JKS shackle.........forget what others will tell you.........it does offer 1" height.

General Spring military wrap will offer you about 3-3.5" of height beyond where you are now. 

You have many options with regard to springs. 

Also, bare in mind, after 30 years every spring is 'sagged out', really doesn't matter what it measures. 

If you are unhappy with your truck's ability to carry a load or the height or the quality of ride or being sloshed around in a slosh bucket in every turn..............you need new springs. Not to mention your bushings are rotted, that's guaranteed.

1 hour ago, 1989commanche said:

Ok just got time to crawl under in the daylight. Couldn’t  juggle flashlight and tape measure at the same time. I come up with 8 1/4” on pass side and 8 1/8 on driver side. From top of axle to frame rail at center of bumpstop. 

Factory spec is 8.2" +/- 1/2" for 2WD models, 9.2" +/- 1/2" for 4WD models. If your truck started out as a 2WD your springs are like new, if your truck started as a 4WD your springs have sagged a bit but not enough that I'd worry about tossing them and starting over.

TIME OUT! Your opening post mentioned having installed longer shackles for a 1" lift. So if you measured with the lift shackles in place, then it would appear that your springs have sagged. How long have the lift shackles been installed? Longer shackles contribute to spring fatigue because they allow the springs to deflect through a longer travel distance than they were designed for. If I were in your situation and I wanted to net a 2-inch lift over stock, I would remove the lift shackles and reinstall stock shackles (or the equivalent, if you tossed the originals, then I'd find a set of 2-1/2" wide springs out of some other pickup that's spring-under, and use either the main leaf (with the eyes cut off) or the #2 leaf as an AAL to bring my MJ springs up to snuff.

1 hour ago, JrMJ89 said:

What are the other options? Is there anyone who makes any custom ones

Just a friendly suggestion: Try using the search feature on the site. Or do what I do and go to google and type in "site:comancheclub.com ****" where the **** is replaced by whatever you are trying to find. Single best way to pull up threads that are pertinent to your interests IMO.

In this case, I would recommend something along the lines of "Site:comancheclub.com rear springs". THIS THREAD seems like a good candidate for info for you.

If you want to go the cheap and easy rout search you local junk yard for 1999-200? S10 blazer or ford explorer springs. Both are spring under, and the right width.... the top leaf with the eyelets cut off or the second one would be a cheap and easy install for a bastard pack that would give you the desired height.....IMHO

14 hours ago, JrMJ89 said:

What do you guys think about the Rusty’s spring pack 

I run them on mine and I like them. they ride good and haven't sagged too much over 60K miles from what I can tell. I run overload springs to compensate for the tools I carry in the bed. With JKS shackles, I am sitting right at 5" of lift.