Driving on the street to street truck

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, 89 MJ said:

If your coming that far, you ought to come over to my side of WI for a visit. I should have my truck back on the road by then. 

If I had more than just the weekend I definitely would. Just started a new job so absolutely no time off available. I'm leaving Friday afternoon for Detroit, show is Saturday, then back home on Sunday.  Once I get some time I'd love to make a real trip out west. 

• 5 weeks later...

Been a while since an update. Got the rear axle in 2 days before my road trip. Truck did great for the 1500 miles, but I did have some issues. My AFR's we're all over the place the whole way out. Thought the wideband went bad, swapped it at the car show but still showed crazy readings. Tried to make adjustments as best I could but didn't have a laptop to plug into the Holley. Drove it home and by the time I got home it was stinking rich. Like black soot out the tailpipe rich. Swapped injectors, cleared my fuel tables, and re-adjusted a couple sensors but nothing. Turns out my exhaust manifold cracked right before the O2....so waiting on actual Novak headers this time. Unfortunately backordered 4 weeks so for now just waiting. Don't want to drive it anymore than I already did.

The roadkill show was great. Couldn't even step away from the truck because so many people were asking about it. But I think I was upstaged a bit by the Cherokee with a hemi. Took some cool pictures outside the jeep plant too. Just a quick stop off the highway. 

The other main issue was the exhaust and engine drown out the radio to the point where it barely sounds like its on. Now I love the sound of the truck but I want my tunes as well. So audio is also getting a small upgrade. I love the radio i have but 15 watts ain't gonna cut it anymore. 

PXL_20210814_144942503.jpg

PXL_20210815_005746469.jpg

IMG_20210816_114937_863.jpg

IMG_20210903_181357_01.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got the headers and installed them this weekend. May I say these things are beautiful. I got the ceramic coated ones, which are NOT cheap, but the quality and fit is amazing. The eBay S10 ones I had worked but they were tight on all areas and required a couple dings to fit. Novak ones dropped right in and not a single issue. Only wish I was able to get them on the initial build but that was peak pandemic and Sanderson was closed for a while. Off to the exhaust shop hopefully for the final time and probably one month left a good weather before winter storage.

PXL_20210919_200742114.jpg

PXL_20210919_200748615.jpg

PXL_20210919_152352537.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

This weather will just not break here. Laundry list of stuff to do and it's crummy and cold out way too much still. Managed to get some work done.  Chrome bumper from the 86 I junked cleaned up nicely while matching the patina. New chrome mirrors and chrome door handles. Also got the new tail light lenses on and installed. Soooo much better than my faded out ones. Added some rear louvers for that 80s look goodness. 

Currently redoing my oil cooler set up and installed a better fitting pan. -10an all around, thermostat for the oil so it'll reach operating temp and maintain it, and just an all around better setup. I'll get some pics when that's done.  Cam will be going in soon along with getting the heads redone. Aluminum flywheel and a fancier clutch will follow.  I was hoping to have this almost done by now but this weather just won't cooperate. 

PXL_20220327_214259054.jpg

PXL_20220327_214333194~2.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looking great! Glad you were able to snag a set of pre 90 knuckles. I've got a big brake kit awaiting install as well once I get to that point. Have you had a chance to test out those Wilwoods yet? Also, what wheels are you running?