Driving on the street to street truck

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been 95+ here in NJ for pretty much the past 2 weeks. Truck is doing great. Coolant temp never gets above 205. Air intake temps are a different story. Does perfectly fine when moving but if I get stuck in traffic they climb very fast. 140+ is a no go.  So I made a shield for the filter and wrapped the pipe. We'll see how it works. 

I really wish I went with A/C...

IMG_20200724_152849_01.jpg

IMG_20200724_161353.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Slave went out again last week. Called Novak up and chatted with them as this would be it's 3rd rebuild. They sent me a whole new slave thinking the casting was off on the original one. Got that put in today and seems great. 

Also swapped back to the rear zj springs and got new bilstien shocks. What a difference in ride quality. Also put new poly bump stops in.  Definitely way better ride this way. Now to just get some bilstien for the rear. 

IMG_20200807_172537.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Had the throwout bearing go out on the jeep. I think I had it adjusted wrong and it was always spinning against the fingers of the clutch. 

Holy hell was getting that trans out hard. The bellhousing does not fit through the back of tunnel so it took me 4 hours to get it out and 4 to get it back in. Never really thought I would have that issue as it seems to have plenty of room. If I ever gotta do anything else engine definitely is coming out all together. 

Never heard it straight piped and figured why not. Scared me on the first start up lol this was only to 3k

On 8/7/2020 at 8:08 PM, 70barracuda said:

Slave went out again last week. Called Novak up and chatted with them as this would be it's 3rd rebuild. They sent me a whole new slave thinking the casting was off on the original one. Got that put in today and seems great. 

Also swapped back to the rear zj springs and got new bilstien shocks. What a difference in ride quality. Also put new poly bump stops in.  Definitely way better ride this way. Now to just get some bilstien for the rear. 

IMG_20200807_172537.jpg

Is your new slave holding up? What did you replace the throw out bearing with?. I am just about to pull my Trans. My clutch is now at the top of the travel and slipping. Not good. Hopefully as I have the Jeep bellhousing it will be easier. Going with Jeep throw out bearing and Jeep fork. We will see how that plays out. Novak really should have better suggestions on the clutch setup. Pretty annoying. Their setup instructions for their adjustable throw out are laughable. Hopefully soon we will be able to tell the world the right way to do this!!

3 minutes ago, Limeyjeeper said:

Is your new slave holding up? What did you replace the throw out bearing with?. I am just about to pull my Trans. My clutch is now at the top of the travel and slipping. Not good. Hopefully as I have the Jeep bellhousing it will be easier. Going with Jeep throw out bearing and Jeep fork. We will see how that plays out. Novak really should have better suggestions on the clutch setup. Pretty annoying. Their setup instructions for their adjustable throw out are laughable. Hopefully soon we will be able to tell the world the right way to do this!!

Yeah everything they do is pretty great and then it all just fails so hard on the clutch stuff. New slave is working good, hopefully I won't have any issues there. Originally I got just a random gm bearing. Worked alright but it was kinda short. I had bought the Novak adjustable but honestly the bearing didn't feel great. I got a gm bearing from an Oldsmobile and it was a little longer. Clutch feels better than before for sure. I think the angle of the fork is better. I'm just not a fan of the external fork set up. 

Did you ever look at the advance adapters swap kit? It looks very similar to the jeep stuff. Maybe some of that would work good for you?

I'm so close to just getting a tko600 lol

I am going to wind in my adjustable slave a bit and see if that works. I am also concerned that the distance between perfect and eating the thrust bearing isn't much!! I am ready for a Tremec 5 speed too!! It would be an awesome conversion. Can handle a ton of power. Nice ratios too 1st 2.87; 2nd 1.90; 3rd 1.34; 4th 1.00; 5th 0.68. Vs the AX15 at 3.83, 2.33, 1.44, 1.00, 0.79

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
10 hours ago, Dzimm said:

Does that 8.8 have an LSD in it??  Now that you have some seat time with the V8 how's it drive with that much power?  I've always been curious what it'd feel like.

Yup. It's a 3.73 lsd rear out of an explorer.

And it's stupid fast for that little truck. I love scaring people who ride with me now lol

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Been a while since an update. Finally getting nice out here so it's time to get the manche back out and running. I plan to de-winterize it this week. In the meantime I got some sweet new seats. Procar elites. Not super expensive but seem super nice. Atleast to me. Finally will have the interior done! Just waiting on the brackets now.

Got a ton of parts from over the winter to install so this spring I'll be pretty busy. 

PXL_20210307_225024441.jpg

3 hours ago, 70barracuda said:

Been a while since an update. Finally getting nice out here so it's time to get the manche back out and running. I plan to de-winterize it this week. In the meantime I got some sweet new seats. Procar elites. Not super expensive but seem super nice. Atleast to me. Finally will have the interior done! Just waiting on the brackets now.

Got a ton of parts from over the winter to install so this spring I'll be pretty busy. 

PXL_20210307_225024441.jpg

Saw those seats at SEMA a couple of years ago. Seemed really comfortable. Almost look like recaros!!

• 3 weeks later...

Finally warm enough to really wrench on this again. Upgrades the rocker trunnions to solid bronze bushing from CHE. really really nice stuff. I wanted to completely get away from needle bearings.  Took a long time one by one but it was simple. Also got the new ls6 intake and new holley fuel rails on. Oh and the sweet holley valve covers.

PXL_20210326_173957871.jpg

PXL_20210326_201413449.jpg

PXL_20210326_214400216.jpg