Driving on the street to street truck

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quite amazing how fast all that came out. The hardest part was the a pillars because at some point the windshield was replaced and they used so much glue it stuck the glass to the trim. Other than that everything came out easy. I got a new heater core for mine as I might as well change it when I go to swap the dash. 

IMG_20200520_182116.jpg

IMG_20200520_182122.jpg

4 hours ago, onebigmj said:

I knows it’s a dumb question but what kind of fuel mileage are you seeing so far? I had a couple early 2000s 5.3 silverados and they got 18-20mpg fairly consistently I’d driven right. 

On my trip I was seeing around 16 to 20. But I hammer the gas any chance I get still lol. I image once I calm down I'll be seeing low 20s

11 minutes ago, Limeyjeeper said:

This is very encouraging because the original reason I went LS was to get much better fuel mileage. Stroker's drink gas. I am lucky to get much more than 12-14mpg out of mine. What gear ratio are running?

Yeah it's definitely better than my Cherokee for sure. And that's average is 13mpg based on the overhead unit. And it's a 3.55 rear.  3000 rpm at 75. 

Got some new adjustable mirrors because the 86 I got had the trim piece. Also got my new seat belts.  Other than the color being off they seem super nice. Looks like it should work. I'll find out tomorrow when I'm swapping everything in. 

Also got my new red head steering box. Got one in my Cherokee and it's super nice. I might put that in tomorrow too with the tan column. 

IMG_20200526_191205.jpg

On 5/25/2020 at 3:10 PM, 70barracuda said:

On my trip I was seeing around 16 to 20. But I hammer the gas any chance I get still lol. I image once I calm down I'll be seeing low 20s

That’s awesome. I’ve really been tossing the idea of an ls swap around but I’d hate to sacrifice my trucks mileage. Sounds like it’s capable of better economy than a 4.0 if you stay off the throttle 😂

17 hours ago, onebigmj said:

That’s awesome. I’ve really been tossing the idea of an ls swap around but I’d hate to sacrifice my trucks mileage. Sounds like it’s capable of better economy than a 4.0 if you stay off the throttle 😂

See that's the hardest part of the whole thing. Trying not to mash the throttle every take off or tunnel lol

I will say after driving this thing and going back to my Cherokee, that thing definitely needs a V8 too

Rebuilt the new to me tan column. Wasn't too bad just so many little pieces in that thing. Also got the new steering box in at the same time. What a difference. Don't feel like I'm driving it like in the old movies where they are just steering back and forth going straight. 

Also got the interior "done". Still need new seats and a new steering wheel but the dash and panels are all done.  Painted the lower dash piece and arm rests with SEM. That stuff works great. 

IMG_20200529_130132.jpg

IMG_20200529_165423.jpg

IMG_20200530_111439.jpg

24 minutes ago, 70barracuda said:

Got the eurotec lights installed.  Pretty amazing how similar they are to factory. Just gotta put some blade terminal on the wires.  They clip right in. I might paint the trim tan to match but they honestly look good as is. 

IMG_20200605_145925.jpg

Didn't do the full bezel? I like your idea better but how well does it hold in place?

49 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

Didn't do the full bezel? I like your idea better but how well does it hold in place?

Perfectly fine. When the lights are on you can see the tiniest amount of light come through the edges because the bezel is ever so slightly smaller long ways, but the sides where the clips are, are the right size so it clips in and stays.  I like this way better too than using the huge bezel. 

35 minutes ago, 70barracuda said:

Perfectly fine. When the lights are on you can see the tiniest amount of light come through the edges because the bezel is ever so slightly smaller long ways, but the sides where the clips are, are the right size so it clips in and stays.  I like this way better too than using the huge bezel. 

I don't know why I didn't think of that but too late now lol. I probably thought you couldn't mount them without the big bezel but evidently you can. Looks good!