Driving on the street to street truck

Holy sh** was this tough. Don't want to have any buddies over cause of this damn virus. Had the engine in and out 4 times today.  Had to clearance the firewall and trans tunnel in order to fit the Novak slave and Chevy clutch fork. But I got it in and it fits awesome. Plenty of clearance for the oil pan.  Headers will be interesting that's for sure.  

I also got a straight drag link as I was worried about the bend against the oil pan. Also got a double shear bracket that lowered the mounting point so I should be plenty good. 

Tomorrow I'll be doing headers and a bunch of small stuff.

IMG_20200403_123813.jpg

IMG_20200403_151923.jpg

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, onebigmj said:

Nice freaking work! Did you just massage the tunnel and firewall with a rubber mallet or did you have to do more serious work? 

3 pound sledge made quick work of it.  I'll try and get a pic of where I needed to clear 

Got the transmission mount all bolted up, mounted the fuel filter/regulator.  Fit great in the stock filter location. Got the track bar all set up. Works perfect and is parallel with the steering.  Also cut the opening for the radiator, gotta get some c channel for a lower mount. 

The one pic shows where I hammered for fork clearance. 

IMG_20200404_141503.jpg

IMG_20200404_155118.jpg

IMG_20200404_161416.jpg

IMG_20200404_172821.jpg

IMG_20200404_141514.jpg

Got the fuel pump swapped out. What a chore that was. The 2.5 pump is like an inch shorter so if I just mounted the new one I would have had to drill out the ground location on the sender.  Didn't want to butcher it so I took the runner isolater and cut it so the bigger pump could fit. 

Also got the radiator mounted up. Used some universal pads for the bottom.  I have to hole saw a spot for the filler neck in the upper support to fit.  

Driveshaft is like 2 inches to big so I'm gonna have to order a custom made one. Not entirely upset as I definitely want an aluminum one but was hoping that could wait. Oh well. Tons of small parts ordered for this weekend so I should get a lot done.

IMG_20200408_163550.jpg

IMG_20200408_190546.jpg

IMG_20200408_190555.jpg

21 minutes ago, onebigmj said:

Nice progress! How are the headers for clearance? 

Not bad for a pair of s10 ls swap headers off eBay lol.  Took a little persuasion with a hammer but only like 2 small spots. Plus they are v band collecters so no huge flange to worry about. 

6 hours ago, 70barracuda said:

Not bad for a pair of s10 ls swap headers off eBay lol.  Took a little persuasion with a hammer but only like 2 small spots. Plus they are v band collecters so no huge flange to worry about. 

Looks like they fit pretty well. They have to be cheaper than the Novak headers. 

18 hours ago, 70barracuda said:

180 vs 390. I'll deal with the dings

Yeah that’s a good reason to try them out haha. I got a killer deal on an Ax15 already setup for an ls with the slave, throw out bearing clutch, flywheel etc etc awhile back and kept thinking of attempting a similar swap. But my truck just runs so nice and is so freaking reliable as it is I hate to take it apart. That thing you’re building is going to be an absolute blast to drive. 

1 hour ago, onebigmj said:

Yeah that’s a good reason to try them out haha. I got a killer deal on an Ax15 already setup for an ls with the slave, throw out bearing clutch, flywheel etc etc awhile back and kept thinking of attempting a similar swap. But my truck just runs so nice and is so freaking reliable as it is I hate to take it apart. That thing you’re building is going to be an absolute blast to drive. 

Part of me felt bad taking the 2.5 out. It just ran soooo good for like 220 thousand on it. And with the small tires on it actually had some pep to it. But a V8 will be so worth it. 

1 hour ago, 70barracuda said:

Part of me felt bad taking the 2.5 out. It just ran soooo good for like 220 thousand on it. And with the small tires on it actually had some pep to it. But a V8 will be so worth it. 

Yeah that’s a killer swap. That things going to be a handful haha. Mine has a 4.0 and it runs just well enough that I can’t justify pulling it...yet haha. 

59 minutes ago, onebigmj said:

Yeah that’s a killer swap. That things going to be a handful haha. Mine has a 4.0 and it runs just well enough that I can’t justify pulling it...yet haha. 

Well hopefully roadkill happens this summer so you can see it. Although my hopes are quickly sinking...

1 hour ago, 70barracuda said:

Well hopefully roadkill happens this summer so you can see it. Although my hopes are quickly sinking...

I know. I’m hoping it still happens. It’s later in the summer usually. I’m not out of hope just yet.