Driving on the street to street truck

Haven't really had much time or funds the past couple weeks for alot of stuff. Treated myself to a new Springfield armory 1911, thing was more expensive than my whole jeep! 

But back on track now. I got the clutch and flywheel, Powertrax limited slip, Yukon axles, transmission adapter and mount from Novak, and a couple small things.  Hopefully by the end of March beginning of April I will start ripping it apart. I just love driving this truck so much I don't wanna have it down longer than I need it to be. Last two expensive parts are gonna be the efi system and headers, then the nickel and dime stuff that's gonna kill me...

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, Dzimm said:

Springfield makes some really nice 1911s.  Which model did you go with?  

Nickel and dime stuff always sucks.  You can plan for it but still always need something else.  

I went with the loaded stainless. Originally I was gonna get just the plain mil spec one in black but while out shopping my buddy found the stainless in a case and made me check it out, after that it was a done deal lol. I wanted the better trigger and upgraded internals and also combat sights so I splurged and got the loaded 

IMG_20200302_185442.jpg

Little update.  Been stock piling parts for the last couple months. Just got the transmission adapter and boy is it nice looking. Too bad it'll be stuffed away where it can't be seen. Finally have everything I need where I could put the drivetrain in the jeep. I'm gonna wait though until I have all the clutch components. I have to be able to see to make sure everything lines up and is within tolerances and that's way easier to do with everything on the ground. Plus I wanna put it all in in one swoop. Just a little bit more until I can start the swap!

IMG_20200313_124606.jpg

IMG_20200313_124550.jpg

It has begun!  What better a time to start I figure, literally can't do anything else on my days off. 

Got pretty much the whole wire harness, accessories, radiator and some other stuff out. This weekend my plan it to pull the motor and trans all together and power wash and paint the bay. 

MVIMG_20200318_125756.jpg

IMG_20200318_144146.jpg

IMG_20200318_165206.jpg

IMG_20200318_183552.jpg

On 3/17/2020 at 2:25 PM, dasbulliwagen said:

After adding the weight of the V8, you might need to install those stiffer cut XJ springs back in. Awesome build, can't wait to see more progress.

I thought about that too. Unfortunately I scrapped the cut springs so I may pick up like 2 inch lift ones and cut those. 

On 3/17/2020 at 1:25 PM, dasbulliwagen said:

After adding the weight of the V8, you might need to install those stiffer cut XJ springs back in. Awesome build, can't wait to see more progress.

The L33 actually weighs about 430lbs which is about 130lbs lighter than the I6 so I used the light duty ZJ springs from OME 2931. I didn't want the front end too stiff.

1 hour ago, Dzimm said:

Did you buy color match and spray with a gun or find cans?  I'm still on the search for a cheaper way to paint mine.

Cans. Automotivetouchup.com. Some Comanche colors are under AMC just fyi.  They are kinda expensive but sell everything from pens to cans to quarts to gallons. And Everytime I've gotten paint from them it matches dead on. 

40 minutes ago, 70barracuda said:

Cans. Automotivetouchup.com. Some Comanche colors are under AMC just fyi.  They are kinda expensive but sell everything from pens to cans to quarts to gallons. And Everytime I've gotten paint from them it matches dead on. 

Ah yes.  That's probably who I'll end up going through for mine as well.  Was really hoping you found a magic can at Menards or something.

Put the order in for Novak headers and just got an email from them saying their supplier is in San Francisco which is currently under complete lockdown...so who knows when they will be able to ship. I'm far from getting this thing running but who knows how long this situation is gonna last. 

Got the clutch all together and trans mounted. Everything looks good. Motor will be in this weekend for sure.

Test fit just the motor today and I'm so glad I got the different pan.  Stock one definitely wouldn't have fit.  I'm also using S10 ls swap headers and they seem like they should work.  Look like a direct copy from the novaks minus one tube, but so far they fit. 

IMG_20200401_145052.jpg

IMG_20200401_181850.jpg