Driving on the street to street truck

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 12/1/2019 at 9:16 AM, neohic said:

Details on the drivetrain swap?

5.3 ls with ax15 trans.  The engine I want though is the all aluminum L33 to keep the weight down. Plus it already makes the power I want so I won't need to do heads or anything.  Just an exhaust, intake, and maybe a small cam. But I doubt it. Gonna be a while before it really takes place as I gotta gather swap parts

yeah they are tough to find for sure.  There are a couple around me but all are atleast a grand, which in reality isn't terrible but more than I wanted to spend.  I'm also looking out for the lm4 which is exactly an lm7 but all aluminum, just no performance goodies the L33 has.  Id be perfectly happy with either one.  I'm just after all aluminum to help keep the weight down.

• 2 weeks later...

What engine did you end up going with? I’ve been looking into a gm engine swap but I want to keep my truck low and run a flat hood and that seems like it will cause significant clearance issues. Really looking forward to seeing what you do with it

5 hours ago, onebigmj said:

What engine did you end up going with? I’ve been looking into a gm engine swap but I want to keep my truck low and run a flat hood and that seems like it will cause significant clearance issues. Really looking forward to seeing what you do with it

It's an L33 all aluminum 5.3. Kinda hopped up from the factory. I wanted to keep my weight down so i spent a tad more on this than the regular iron block. And I'm gonna try and find a Corvette intake manifold off an ls1. From what I've read It's the lowest intake possible. Well see if it fits. Or I may just get a super high rise holley and have it jumping out of the hood lol. Well see, but I'd rather have it as stock looking as possible 

• 2 weeks later...

Got the engine stripped down and cleaned today. Was this thing dirty. Its way better now but still far to go.  I also got a bellhousing and ordered the Novak engine mounts. And got the whole wire harness stripped off. Still deciding if I wanna use the factory harness or just screw it and get the holley efi system. 

IMG_20200115_112636.jpg

IMG_20200115_124116.jpg

IMG_20200115_142840_01.jpg

IMG_20200115_131744.jpg

Go with an aftermarket harness. I used to work at a shop that would have factory harnesses cut down and everything would work fine but sometimes we’d run into issues with the used connectors. A nice clean and new harness is just that and so much more... clean and new. 

On 1/15/2020 at 8:37 PM, neohic said:

Go with an aftermarket harness. I used to work at a shop that would have factory harnesses cut down and everything would work fine but sometimes we’d run into issues with the used connectors. A nice clean and new harness is just that and so much more... clean and new. 

yeah I am really leaning towards the holley efi, just might bite the bullet and get it.  Will be the most expensive part of this build for sure, but it will be awesome to have all new stuff and ability to learn tuning.

15 minutes ago, 70barracuda said:

yeah I am really leaning towards the holley efi, just might bite the bullet and get it.  Will be the most expensive part of this build for sure, but it will be awesome to have all new stuff and ability to learn tuning.

Or-

001 Holley Stealth Terminator Ls Install

On 1/18/2020 at 3:08 PM, 70barracuda said:

Check out the new Edelbrock Pro-Flo LS management system. I would have used it on my L33 swap if it had been around. It has a much smaller ECU, fully tunable, has self learn capabilities and only about $900 with the harness. The LS1 intake fits just fine on the L33. You can close the hood with the LS1 intake no problem.

4 hours ago, Limeyjeeper said:

Check out the new Edelbrock Pro-Flo LS management system. I would have used it on my L33 swap if it had been around. It has a much smaller ECU, fully tunable, has self learn capabilities and only about $900 with the harness. The LS1 intake fits just fine on the L33. You can close the hood with the LS1 intake no problem.

Honestly had no idea that Edelbrock had there own ls efi system. After doing a tiny bit a of research I do like the fact it's Android friendly so I can just run a tablet for the vitals and moniter on my phone. Definitely gonna look more into it. Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Pretty much got the motor ready. Degreased, intake installed, new timing set, better oil pump, new oil pan that hopefully will have enough clearance since I'm lowered. Still got a long way to go but atleast the motor part is real close to done.  Also took the Jeep out of storage and started driving it this past week.  

Got a storage unit for all my crap. Wayyy overdue for one but it'll be nice so I can round of up my stuff and have it all in one place (and room for even more stuff)

IMG_20200226_134608.jpg

IMG_20200226_174425.jpg

IMG_20200223_173807_01.jpg

Finally got to taking the exhaust manifolds off.  They were super rusty so i kept putting them off. 3 bolts were already broken.  The rest came out without issue surprising. Two of the broken were still accessible so a pipe wrench made short work. Last one was flush with the block. First time using a extractor and it was a success!  Super scary doing it though. That was pretty much the last part of getting the engine prepped that I can do on the stand. Everything else will be done once it's in the jeep

IMG_20200304_162756.jpg

IMG_20200304_162836.jpg

10 hours ago, 70barracuda said:

Finally got to taking the exhaust manifolds off.  They were super rusty so i kept putting them off. 3 bolts were already broken.  The rest came out without issue surprising. Two of the broken were still accessible so a pipe wrench made short work. Last one was flush with the block. First time using a extractor and it was a success!  Super scary doing it though. That was pretty much the last part of getting the engine prepped that I can do on the stand. Everything else will be done once it's in the jeep

IMG_20200304_162756.jpg

IMG_20200304_162836.jpg

That is what success looks like right there