My Sept comancheclub trip: GA-CO-WI-MI-GA now updated!

Pete M

12 hours ago, Pete M said:

update:  got to hang with Brett for a while 2 days ago and check out his awesome Jeep collection. :waving:  and then yesterday afternoon I hit a junkyard in Colorado Springs for a quick minute to see what it had (no energy to really pull anything) and then stopped at a rest area on the way to Katie's for a rest.  It was like 5 or 6pm and I needed a break so I crawled into the back for a quick nap... and the next thing I knew it was dark outside. :doh:  I was a day ahead of schedule and hadn't yet gotten a hold of Katie to say as much, so I got up to brush my teeth and use the facilities and then just went back to bed.  Ended up getting like 14 hours of sleep.  I kinda knew this trip would catch up to me, but was hoping to make it to Katie's first.  oh well.  at least I feel pretty good again so it was worth it. :L: 

So with renewed vigor today I went back to the junkyard at opening time and snagged a whole Ikea bag of goodies including: maroon door panels with pockets, XJ Waggy taillights with a second set of bulb harnesses, random bits of XJ interior, a blue headlight delay thingie, a couple glovebox lights, floor courtesy lights, a made-in-Japan radio with tape deck that's in excellent shape, and a bunch of other stuff I can't recall.  Tomorrow morning (ya know, before it hits 102*) I hope to organize my goodies and build a containment box to protect them from the 4.10 geared Libby axles I hope to acquire next week. :grinyes:

Are you keeping an eye on craigslist as you pass through?  There's 2 nice tailgates in that area that have been hanging around for a while: 

https://fortcollins.craigslist.org/pts/d/loveland-jeep-comanche-tailgates-x2/6959507630.html

250 a pop for tailgates?  ouch.  that's a ton of investment represented there for very little payoff. :(  plus it's not along my route. somebody from the rust belt would need to contact me if they really, truly wanted one. 

I sorta did some CL searches before I left GA.  nothing much popped up so I've not paid any attention to it since. 

Road trips are fun, especially meeting fellow enthusiasts.

I thought Pete was going to grab some tools and start working on my truck when he stopped by!   

In all seriousness, it was great to meet you Pete. I wish we could have visited more, but it was fantastic to put a face to a name. I'd love to travel the same way you are someday and meet folks along the way. Your enthusiasm for these old trucks rekindled the flame that has been a mere flicker for awhile. Once I get the overpriced Toyota brakes repaired I fully intend to start back on my 92...or maybe the 91.

Keep doing what you are doing. Thanks for taking the time to stop by rural Kansas to say, 'hi'.

7 hours ago, 87Warrior said:

I thought Pete was going to grab some tools and start working on my truck when he stopped by!  

I was part of the way through an open cooling system conversion on my 89 when Pete stopped by. He makes a great helper!

went to 3 junkyards today but didn't find anything I needed.  but I hung out with Jdog and a bunch of old car guys today. :D  super fun conversations!  tomorrow I'm going to hit the last 2 'yards in Denver and then Jdog and I are meeting up with the guys to hit up a car museum. 

The hafaJeep is pretty full at the moment.   :applause: I've got a bunch of Jim's old Jeep stuff which I will be selling on consignment for Katie. 

20190909_210109.jpg

6 hours ago, Pete M said:

went to 3 junkyards today but didn't find anything I needed.  but I hung out with Jdog and a bunch of old car guys today. :D  super fun conversations!  tomorrow I'm going to hit the last 2 'yards in Denver and then Jdog and I are meeting up with the guys to hit up a car museum. 

The hafaJeep is pretty full at the moment.   :applause: I've got a bunch of Jim's old Jeep stuff which I will be selling on consignment for Katie. 

20190909_210109.jpg

Looks like you’re gonna need to buy more beds and just start filling and stacking them. 

went to a couple more junkyards this morning. picked up a full cluster, headlight rings and some other random bits.

but then I spent the afternoon in a sweet vehicular museum with Jason and the guys.  be prepared for a massive photo barrage once I get some wifi. :D

tonight I'm at a nice colorado rest area just north of another yard that promises to have some older cars in it. looking forward to it. :brows:

I'm not sure what you mean by a chrome cover.?  

I've seen precisely two Comanches I did not drive out here to see.  one was parked on a sidestreet, the other was visiting one of the junkyards but I couldn't find the owner so I left a club card behind.

yesterday I said goodbye to colorado with a stop by Martin's salvage. be prepared for another photo dump from that place. I've never seen so many 40s and 50s cars in one place!  scored some cool crap including a pair of old frenched caddy taillights. :D

and then nebraska was a complete failure. both yards had crap and were overpriced. 

but that let's me get to Dzimm a day early so there's that going for me. :)  

Dammit Pete. Your map had you missing Martin's/Fort Collins area. I would have loved to have been able to take you for dinner and a beer... 
He wasn't planning on going to Martin's, I suggested it since he was headed to I76. Thanks for stopping by Pete.

Stock 1988 swb 4.0 ax15 np 231.

Pete, sorry I missed you.  I expect we were Jeeps passing in the night (day actually) on I25 on Sunday.  Maybe next time!  Hope the trip is going well.  Is that Martin's or Martain's on highway 34 between Loveland and Greeley?  Can't seem to find it on google.  I see a yard on that highway but not sure if that is the one.  I'd love to check it out sometime just for grins.  Hope your trip is going well is enjoyable.