My Sept comancheclub trip: GA-CO-WI-MI-GA now updated!

Pete M

as with all overly complicated plans, I've had to shuffle some things around. 

the powwow dates are circled in red.  in addition, with any luck I'll be at the junkyards in denver for a day or 2 if anyone has time off and wants to lend a hand pulling KJ parts. :L: 

and I still don't have the Durango back, but the part is theoretically supposed to get to the dealership today soooo..... :dunno:

trip west 3 with days.jpg

On ‎8‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 8:19 AM, Pete M said:

in addition, with any luck I'll be at the junkyards in denver for a day or 2 if anyone has time off and wants to lend a hand pulling KJ parts.

What days are you planning on doing that?

monday and tuesday the 9th/10th.   maaaaaaaybe on sunday too but I can't say for sure yet since I'd like to leave that open to help Ben with his barn if he's not working that day.  I do know that I've got nothing planned for monday or tuesday beyond junkyardin'.  :D 

I suspected that may well be the timing for that.  I'll just have to think about you while I'm basking in some hot springs in the San Luis Valley.  I'm likely going to miss the Pow Wow too.  We leave on Sunday the 8th.  I thought about doing the Phantom Canyon run on Saturday but I'll be towing a camper and it doesn't care for wash boards very much.  Doubt I'd be able to convince my leading lady to go early and spend the night in Pueblo but perhaps!  What is the situation there as far as room for campers and such?

there's plenty of room, but the final road up to her place is steep and pretty dang rutted.  :(  I imagine there has to be something near by where you can stay in a camper. :dunno:  I'll see what I can find.  :L:  

there's a walmart in town. :D 

finally have some wifi and a break in the action.  Just spent the night in the Durango at Correy's place in Springfield MO.  Last night was in the Durango at Greg's, and then the first night was in the Durango at Jeremy's.  notice a trend? :D  I'm getting close to having this little cabin-on-wheels the way I like it.   Yes, I could have slept inside their houses, but I've got a lot of nights ahead where I'm definitely going to be in here and I figure it's better to practice when I've got a backup plan right outside the door rather than at a rest area somewhere.  I've cut some cardboard covers for the windows and it's actual quite nice as long as you're not claustrophobic (half the back is filled with stuff since now my trailer is full of parts).  and speaking of parts, yesterday I met up with Keith and we hit a the biggest junkyard I've ever seen (advertising over 2000 cars!) in Springfield where I scored most of a black MJ interior (dash and seat were bad) plus rear flares and a factory rear slider and he got some great chrome headlight trims and the tow mirrors plus the factory brackets that go inside the door.  Then at another junkyard (having a half-off weekend!) I scored a flattop hood conversion (like my Liberty has, but in perfect shape) and some good interior bits from a Cherokee Country and some more Libby tow hooks.  I've been told there are some more MJs near here that I'm going to check out before I hit the freeway. 

good times with good friends.  :L:  I'd say this trip can be declared: so far, so good! :comanche:

THAT'S what was in Jefferson city!  :doh:  It was originally on the list but I never scribbled down the reason why and so eventually I abandoned it as part of the route.  dang it. :(  It adds 4 hours to today's drive.  I just can't justify that this trip.  daaaaaang it. :brickwall: 

On Tuesday, September 03, 2019 at 1:02 PM, 500 MJ said:

Glad to hear athat's going well!

If you see good deals on easy to pull rust free parts out west, get them and bring them along with you. Us Midwest folks will make it worth your while! 

what parts? I've seen 2 mjs Iand they were nothing to writr home about. I wish there was a super abundace of rust free beds, but thats not been the case. :(

Only the ones that you see on half off days and know that us guys here in the Midwest would love to get. 

- Bolt strips for the fender flares

- Rear bumpers / bumper end caps

- Tailgates

- Ebrake cables

- Fuel sending units

etc. 

:peep:

...Rust free short beds :drool: :drool: :drool:

update:  got to hang with Brett for a while 2 days ago and check out his awesome Jeep collection. :waving:  and then yesterday afternoon I hit a junkyard in Colorado Springs for a quick minute to see what it had (no energy to really pull anything) and then stopped at a rest area on the way to Katie's for a rest.  It was like 5 or 6pm and I needed a break so I crawled into the back for a quick nap... and the next thing I knew it was dark outside. :doh:  I was a day ahead of schedule and hadn't yet gotten a hold of Katie to say as much, so I got up to brush my teeth and use the facilities and then just went back to bed.  Ended up getting like 14 hours of sleep.  I kinda knew this trip would catch up to me, but was hoping to make it to Katie's first.  oh well.  at least I feel pretty good again so it was worth it. :L: 

So with renewed vigor today I went back to the junkyard at opening time and snagged a whole Ikea bag of goodies including: maroon door panels with pockets, XJ Waggy taillights with a second set of bulb harnesses, random bits of XJ interior, a blue headlight delay thingie, a couple glovebox lights, floor courtesy lights, a made-in-Japan radio with tape deck that's in excellent shape, and a bunch of other stuff I can't recall.  Tomorrow morning (ya know, before it hits 102*) I hope to organize my goodies and build a containment box to protect them from the 4.10 geared Libby axles I hope to acquire next week. :grinyes: