opinion on first MJ purchase

ptjideri

Hi all, been a lurker for  while learning about the Comanche.  Ive been looking for an extra vehicle since I sold an 05 Tundra plagued with lot rot.  I'm looking for a midsized pickup that has some character, can tow a small utility trailer and my 16' whaler (~2000 lbs), and fills the bill for a fun around town truck.  Seems like the MJ ticks all the boxes! 

I found a very clean example nearby, no rust, no rot, even floor pans and normal areas.  Bed is rhino lined, came from Georgia, garaged/covered with 105k on it. 90 4.0l 4x4 shortbed 5sp.  Guy is asking $9k for it.  my only gripes are the addition of some front aftermarket shocks added outside the coils, and lacks AC. other than that, I can't find anything wrong with it.  

Thoughts?

00Y0Y_g35eA4J36lh_600x450.jpg

00707_6siCGcw6kD0_600x450.jpg

00P0P_6CLw2dwyxcc_600x450.jpg

00x0x_dv1wfZb4t43_600x450.jpg

00r0r_5hIzmsHdkbk_600x450.jpg

jeep1.jpg

welcome to the MJ addiction!  :waving: 

outside the coils?  all stock MJ shocks are located to the rear of the coils.  :L: 

the price seems a bit steep compared to what others have found, but it certainly looks solid and well cared for.  :grinyes:

Price seems high. To me, a $9K MJ should be a highly modified off-road rig with some high end parts or a low mileage truck that is completely stock, show truck quality. This truck is neither, for starters the wheels and rear bumper are aftermarket parts. Radio and speakers are not stock, neither is the center console ON the bench seat. It looks nice for sure but that’s a $3K-$5K truck to me. 

just don't let it touch salt and you should have a nice driver there.  :L:  it's almost 30 years old, so I would go through and replace a lot of the original rubber stuff (hoses, brake lines, etc) and oils right off the bat.  And get yourself a hitch, don't trust the old sheetmetal bumpers.  One of our members makes them (you'll find him in the vendors part of the classifieds).  standard suggestions for buying a used truck apply, like bringing along a friend who will be critical of the truck, bring a fridge magnet to check for bondo, etc.  I think there may even be a writeup/list in the DIY link in my sig.  I vaguely remember that.  if not, you should search for it and then let me know so I can put it in the DIY list.  :D  

I agree with the above posts. IMO guy went down south, got himself a decent looking Comanche, brought it back home and is trying to at least double his money. Nothing wrong with that. Just do some more research. Everyone’s just trying to save you some money. For that kind of money you can travel down south or out west to find some nicer Jeeps. Not sure where you're located but me thinks the rust belt. Nice Comanches are like unicorns in these parts.

I saw that truck listed on CL some time ago.  I don't recall the price, but it would have stuck if it was $9K.  Seems high to me. 

Since you asked for opinion and thoughts ...  Nice truck, but If you have that kind of budget, you can buy a lot more truck (with AC!).   

People are seeing them go for that at Barrett-Jackson et al. and are getting bad ideas. 

Ultimately its your money. If you're paying full price it had better run and drive @#$%ing mint. I would be temped to start negotiating at half that price. But it's your money. If you think the convenience of this MJ is worth the money instead of the effort of searching for another, well, that's up to you. 

I also bet that if you run the vin, it'll come up factory 2wd. It's not a huge hassle to convert them, and hypothetically adds a ton of value if you don't know that it's a ridiculously easy swap. It really doesn't have many options. I don't know that I'm a fan of the bench, either. It's pretty, but I wouldn't say $9k pretty... especially not if it only has a Dana 35 under the back end. 

But for towing definitely add a receiver hitch. 3000 lbs is peanuts. I've hauled that much weight over 1000 miles in one trip with my 325,000 mile MJ on what I have nothing to suggest isn't original suspension, with no troubles. I've also got the same drivetrain in my ZJ and pulled 5500 lbs with that up and over a couple 6700' Rocky Mountain passes, which was slow going up steep grades and I wouldn't necessarily recommend repeating that but it did it. 

1 hour ago, NHMJXJ said:

I saw that truck listed on CL some time ago.  I don't recall the price, but it would have stuck if it was $9K.  Seems high to me. 

Since you asked for opinion and thoughts ...  Nice truck, but If you have that kind of budget, you can buy a lot more truck (with AC!).   

I remember it on CL too, and I remember most MJ's asking that kind of money because maybe 1 in 25 seems worth anything near that kind of price. I'm with whoever else said this appears to be a flipper looking for a quick buck. If you are willing to spend $9-10k on a Comanche you could find a pretty nice one for $2500 and spend another $7500 and have an amazing truck much better than this one. 

That's a base model truck, with some aftermarket parts (as previously noted). IMHO, it's definitely not a $9,000 truck. MAYBE $4,000, no more than that. If the seller seriously expects to get anywhere near nine grand, he's on crack.

$9000 should get you something special. This isn't really that, it's just in better than average shape for a base model 1990 MJ. A base model with no A/C at that. For myself and most of us to recommend you spend $9k on a Comanche in today's market, it's gonna have to be one of four things:

A low mileage true survivor that's as it left the factory with almost all original parts and no aftermarket crap on it.

A tastefully restored vehicle with exceptional quality work all around and all of the features people look for (A/C that works, a very well done paint job, full-time 4WD, bucket seats, power windows and locks, etc.) 

A questionable but flashy pavement princess. I personally wouldn't pay $9 for one of these, but these are normally what go to Barrett-Jackson.

A purpose built wheeling truck. This isn't my cup of tea, but these are Jeeps after all.

Things that stick out at me. Keep in mind that I'm a purist curmudgeon and your mileage may vary.

- I don't know what those wheels are, but they aren't stock. They look kind of like the factory turbine wheels, but not quite.

- Speakers mounted outside of the door panels. I bet this truck was a radio delete and they just cut holes in the door panels where the speakers go. You're gonna kick those speakers every time you get in or out of the truck.

- Aftermarket radio sticking way out of the dash. The dash bezel was probably cut to mount it. IMO there's no way to make a new aftermarket radio look good in these trucks, but there are better ways to do it than that.

- It doesn't have A/C. Once again, this was a base model truck. If this bothers you now, just wait until you actually have the truck and wish you would've spent nearly $10,000 on one with A/C that worked.

- There's a chance that the instrument cluster was swapped in. You could order a SporTruck with full gauges, but it's not seen often. Almost nobody that swaps an instrument cluster makes sure the mileage is correct.

- It has the typical aftermarket rear bumper that always gets put on these. A $9k truck should have an original bumper. It looks off and doesn't protect as much as the factory one does. The original was either damaged or it didn't come with a rear bumper. If it didn't come with one, it makes the already fishy option list of this truck look even fishier.

As a side note, this is either the most highly optioned original SporTruck I've ever seen or it was a base model that someone added options to. That's very easy to do, and not usually a downside. It does cast some doubt on the mileage, though. Don't take this as me saying the mileage is 100% not correct, but it's so easy to alter the mileage on these that you should keep it in mind.

3 hours ago, Minuit said:

Things that stick out at me. Keep in mind that I'm a purist curmudgeon and your mileage may vary.

- I don't know what those wheels are, but they aren't stock. They look kind of like the factory turbine wheels, but not quite.

I keep looking at them and thinking "Ford Explorer." I know those wheels were OEM on something, but it wasn't a Jeep.

Thanks for all the honest info guys.  I don't have to buy the truck, and the money isn't a huge deal, but I do want something a bit unique.  Based on everything you have said, I think I was just excited to see a non-rustbucket MJ around here. 

Oh well. Time to keep looking around. 

check out the good/bad/ugly post in the classifieds/not-your-stuff. :L:   one of our members is kind enough to peruse craigslist now and again and tally up various MJs for sale around the country.  Don't hesitate to look outside your state. many of us have traveled for our MJs. :D  and many of us are happy to help check out a truck near us that you might find. 

9k is too much for what that is. I'd keep looking and you honestly might have to go outside statelines to find something. I was lucky enough to pick mine up from a fellow member. Really that would be the best option but not a lot of of members are selling off their rides.