Pizza Oven interior temps

Just what can be done, to lower the interior temps of our Comanches? Here I thought, that my late model Cherokee was bad, it does not 'hold a candle' to a Comanche!!!

FYI: My Comanche is now, all Legal Eagle inspected and finally ready to rumble!

Short of installing AC:

1” of jute padding under the floor and 1/2” behind the firewall helped loads for mine.

Resealing the damper box and cutting flow of coolant to the heater core in the summer are also critical.

Good luck!

Tinted windows will help. Knowing the tendencies of our trucks to leak water onto the floorboards, I'd be very wary of putting things that absorb water on the floor. Duct insulation would keep some heat out, and foil-backed mass loaded vinyl would block both heat and sound. Of course, working air conditioning is better than any of the passive options.

It's been damn hot here, 100-105 highs for over a week (and the forecast isn't any better).  My commuter car is down with a mystery misfire issue so I'm driving the MJ to/from work.  The MJ A/C is barely working. After the truck is sitting in the parking lot for 8-9 hours it is blazing hot.  Driving the 20 mile home is brutal.  Last week I put on a wet shirt for the 1/2 hour drive home, shorts, no shoes.  Problem solved.

Not sure if this would help. I have a 75 Bricklin. They can and do run HOT.  I noticed heat coming through the trans tunnel. When I pulled the engine and trans, I painted the trans tunnel with ceramic paint. It seemed to help. I also, put some aluminum faced insulation on the firewall. Ceramic coated headers helped keep underhood temps down.

Working A/c is the best thing.  If you have a rear window, open that sucker up, it will suck air back into the cab and feel good on your back/neck.  Just don't have dirt or leaves in the bed or it will fill the cab.  Agree with the above about leaving windows cracked a little  and having tint.  

No A/C here.  By now, you've probably discovered that the vent setting on the cab blower is useless -- unless you like being blasted with hot air from the engine bay.

The rear slider helps a lot.  I honestly don't know how you guys without rear sliding windows survive.  The truck would be undriveable without one, IMO.   In the summer time,  I usually take the bed topper off to maximize air flow through that window.  

Whenever I see guys trying to reduce cab noise by going crazy with Dynamat and new door seals all I can think is --- what's the point?  All the windows need to be open anyway..!  :crazy: 

1 hour ago, DesertRat1991 said:

Whenever I see guys trying to reduce cab noise by going crazy with Dynamat and new door seals all I can think is --- what's the point?  All the windows need to be open anyway..!  :crazy: 

Maybe in AZ...  In the winter I'm often wishing I changed the door seals to help keep the heat in. :roflmao:

My truck has AC, but it does not work. I bought this truck on April 28th, 2018 and I haven't yet tried to clear the heater plenum of a Mickey Mouse nest. So the AC idea, must wait. I can not add a sunroof, due to the JCR Off Road roof rack, will hinder its opening abilities. I have thought about, somehow installing a 12v fan, within the tranny tunnel, but I have yet to locate a suitable fan, to even buy one! My rear slider, functions, but my spare tire, blocks some of the air flow and yes, I have already discovered that whatever is in the bed, it does find its way through the split window! And yes I have a headliner, but it needs reupholstered. I plan to replace the rubber seals as well as fully removing the interior and adding Killmatt to most surfaces. I also will add Napier hood vents, in order to help evacuate some of the under hood ambient temps.

SideView.jpg

FeF.jpg

Central Florida.

No A/C. Haven't had time to try to play with a/c components. 

No vent windows (yet)

No rear slider

No sunroof (yet)

No floormats or and heat shielding anywhere.

Has headliner

I do use the a/c vent sometimes the hot air blowing is better then the hot stagnant air... but Friday it stopped working on me again... bugger... 

Heat level in this thing... some people would just say undriveable.

Me.. I'm too stupid and/or proud to own this thing. Daily driving in this stupid heat. Still am!

LOVING IT!

:comanche:

I am reading the interior on my MJ, and part of my planned improvements is the foil lined insulation matting glued to the inside of the roof above the headliner, and on the back wall of the cab behind the carpet panel.  

Most at of your added heat comes from solar input, and while tinting the windows helps, adding thermal insulation in the roof in particular is really key.

• 2 weeks later...

Killmat will be applied this weekend, provided that I can remove the seats and carpet. I purchased the 300 mm closed foam kit from Amazon. 2 kits, consist of 36 sqft. total. This should be a huge improvement.