Annual registration

mattbuch96

The registration renewal is a flat fee here, doesn't matter what you're registering.  I think it's $38 or something.

To renew the reg and insurance this year was $999.  That's with me getting the highest level of discount possible on the insurance, and it's only liability insurance. :crazy:

5 hours ago, DirtyComanche said:

The registration renewal is a flat fee here, doesn't matter what you're registering.  I think it's $38 or something.

To renew the reg and insurance this year was $999.  That's with me getting the highest level of discount possible on the insurance, and it's only liability insurance. :crazy:

Yeah. Alberta's the same way. I think I'm only about halfway up the discount scale, and it was $1255/yr for the MJ when I checked... for liability only. In MB with similar discount it was just around $650, for full coverage, $200 deductible with $0 for wildlife. And that's including the $150 or so they charge for registration, plate fees, etc. Registration in AB is another 80 or so per year on top. 

On 2/6/2018 at 9:34 AM, mattbuch96 said:

Dang, mine is 117.35 yearly in Indiana. I feel like it is way over priced. $12 in vehicle taxes, $20 county tax, $25 municipal tax, $30.35 registration fee, and $15 TLL fee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i just moved to indiana last month (delphi) from WI.  trust me on this, its waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy cheaper to live here.  

About $75 with a vanity plate.   

I'd run an antique plate, but New Hampshire is pretty strict about their use.  You can't "daily drive" ... You have to be on your way to/from a show, a parade, or out for a Sunday cruise.

6 hours ago, NHMJXJ said:

About $75 with a vanity plate.   

I'd run an antique plate, but New Hampshire is pretty strict about their use.  You can't "daily drive" ... You have to be on your way to/from a show, a parade, or out for a Sunday cruise.

So is TN, so I decided against the antique plate.

I could probably get away with it here in TN, however, I live very near several other states that I visit frequent enough that it's not worth the hassle. 

19 hours ago, gogmorgo said:

Yeah. Alberta's the same way. I think I'm only about halfway up the discount scale, and it was $1255/yr for the MJ when I checked... for liability only. In MB with similar discount it was just around $650, for full coverage, $200 deductible with $0 for wildlife. And that's including the $150 or so they charge for registration, plate fees, etc. Registration in AB is another 80 or so per year on top. 

I just got the renewal notice for my JK too, it's $1256, but that has $2500 deductible comprehensive and collision on it rather than straight liability.  Still, it just makes me shake my head.

I hear mixed stories about Alberta, but at least there is options and it seems longer term residents are able to find deals.  Here you're stuck dealing with ICBC no matter what, as you have to buy at least the basic liability package through them even if you have another insurer for other options.  ICBC has no interest in doing shared policies or even really giving me much of a discount for being a pleasure use only driver (I do not drive to work anymore, ever), so it's pretty much an all around losing situation for me.  I'd have another vehicle insured but I can't stomach paying $3500+/year in vehicle insurance.

17 minutes ago, DirtyComanche said:

I just got the renewal notice for my JK too, it's $1256, but that has $2500 deductible comprehensive and collision on it rather than straight liability.  Still, it just makes me shake my head.

I hear mixed stories about Alberta, but at least there is options and it seems longer term residents are able to find deals.  Here you're stuck dealing with ICBC no matter what, as you have to buy at least the basic liability package through them even if you have another insurer for other options.  ICBC has no interest in doing shared policies or even really giving me much of a discount for being a pleasure use only driver (I do not drive to work anymore, ever), so it's pretty much an all around losing situation for me.  I'd have another vehicle insured but I can't stomach paying $3500+/year in vehicle insurance.

So, I'm assuming  your insurance is tied to your tag?

Here, one with full coverage and two with minimums, right around $1000 for the year. 

4 minutes ago, Jeep Driver said:

So, I'm assuming  your insurance is tied to your tag?

Here, one with full coverage and two with minimums, right around $1000 for the year. 

Yeah, it's all done through the state owned insurance ponzi scheme known as ICBC (Insurance Corporation of British Columbia, I believe).  You can transfer a vehicle into your name without insurance, but in order to get registration you must buy insurance.  The system isn't totally broken, but it certainly could be better.  It does have advantages in that you typically deal with authorized agents rather than ICBC themselves, so I can go to almost any insurance broker if I just want to do a transfer of title, cancellation, or whatever.  If you actually have to deal with ICBC it's normally fairly terrible; that said I did have a VERY helpful person there walk me through not only applying for, but actually receiving, a title for the 66 Gladiator I bought out of a farmer's field.  The massive downside is that it is set tiered rates and since they essentially have a monopoly that have no interest in offering tailored products.

I'd love to be able to have three vehicles on the road for $1000/year.  It burns me a lot because I've owned my JK for 6 or 7 years now and put 45000Km on it in that time, plus handfuls of thousands of Kms on other vehicles I have insured at the time, basically I'm on the road (in my own vehicles) less than the average person by a large margin yet because my hobby is owning crappy vehicles I get to pay a lot more for it.

6 hours ago, DirtyComanche said:

Yeah, it's all done through the state owned insurance ponzi scheme known as ICBC (Insurance Corporation of British Columbia, I believe).

I just had a discussion with a guy from Vancouver about government insurance last week. He was convinced it was the absolute worst thing ever, although what we actually concluded was that BC is just doing it wrong, biggest thing being that they're operating as a for-profit entity, and paying profits into the BC treasury. I also discovered that you're not obligated to go with them (although I have no idea what the alternatives would be like) unlike Mb and Sk which while being true monopolies are also much cheaper than insurance anywhere else in Canada as far as I can tell. It was pocket change over $100/month for full coverage with $200 deductible on the MJ and $300 on the Niva... I know people with individual cell phone plans that cost more than that. 

2 hours ago, gogmorgo said:

I just had a discussion with a guy from Vancouver about government insurance last week. He was convinced it was the absolute worst thing ever, although what we actually concluded was that BC is just doing it wrong, biggest thing being that they're operating as a for-profit entity, and paying profits into the BC treasury. I also discovered that you're not obligated to go with them (although I have no idea what the alternatives would be like) unlike Mb and Sk which while being true monopolies are also much cheaper than insurance anywhere else in Canada as far as I can tell. It was pocket change over $100/month for full coverage with $200 deductible on the MJ and $300 on the Niva... I know people with individual cell phone plans that cost more than that. 

He is somewhat incorrect, you are required by law to purchase ICBC's "Basic Autoplan" insurance ($200k liability with a lot of fine print) if you've registered a vehicle in BC.  If you wish to purchase insurance beyond that you are welcome to choose from ICBC or another insurance company.  As I have a renewal notice here I will provide the actual numbers on it (this is for my JK).  The "Basic Autoplan" required insurance is $738, that is with the $493 discount removed from it.  The optional coverages I have are much cheaper, for another $4.8 million in liability insurance I only pay $242, yes I could drop that but IMHO $242 is a fair deal for $4.8 million in coverage (with a lot less fine print about what they will pay compared with the minimum requirement, and since it is all through the same insurer there's no arguing over who will cover what and which fine print applies).  The collision coverage is only $152, and the comprehensive is a mere $70.  The vehicle licensing fee (registration) is $61 (more than I recalled, but you can't avoid that).  With no discount the minimum I could pay in BC is $1292.  The actual amount I quoted myself as paying in a previous post was wrong, as this renewal (without changes) will be $1263 (I wrote $1256); I will price out adding $200 glass coverage since I need a new windshield, chances are it will be cheaper to just buy a new windshield out of pocket (doubly so if I put it in myself, since that went soooooooooooooo well on the last one I did, not. :laugh:)

Now if I wanted to go with a third party for my extra liability, collision, comprehensive, etc, there is two main issues.  The first is that of all the brokers I talked to, none of them would honor the coverage if the vehicle was as they described "off highway", which was not using the same definition of a highway as in the motor vehicle act.  Basically once you hit a FSR your coverage was void.  The second was that their own premiums were typically more than ICBC charged for the similar coverage; although one could not compare apples to apples as the fine print is different, you may well have been better covered using another insurer, however for the potential savings it didn't seem worth the hassle to talk to multiple brokers and try to find the best option.  That said, I may well have been able to qualify for fleet insurance, in which case potentially I could have purchase a liability/collision policy that would cover all my vehicles, but again it would likely be a lot of hassle for minimal savings as the majority of the cost is the required "Basic Autoplan" insurance; also I may have been required to transfer my vehicles into my business to do this (and pay 12% tax on their value at the time), which would be a massive complication in my life that I want nothing to do with.  I think had I wished to have a much better optional insurance package (loss of use, free glass replacement, coverage in Mexico) they likely would have had a product that would cost less than ICBC.

Typically there's two types of people in BC that go with non-ICBC optional coverages.  The first type is fleet environments; my employers have never used ICBC for this as they buy umbrella policies that cover everything from the aircraft to the buildings, but certainly any business running more than a few vehicles would seriously look into this.  The second is people who are required to carry more than basic coverage (read that as they've leased or financed a vehicle) and have a bad driving history meaning that ICBC premiums for collision/comprehensive would be just way too much (I also believe ICBC can refuse to even sell you this type of coverage if they feel you're too much of a risk, I believe they're only required to sell you the "Basic Autoplan" coverage).

I would agree that the basic premise of ICBC wasn't a bad one.  It was intended to protect the consumer from the big bad insurance companies by guaranteeing they could purchase coverage at a known rate (not necessarily fair rate, although that was the intention), and it was intended to protect the people of BC by mandating minimum coverage through a government entity (meaning they would in theory actually pay victim claims fairly and in a punctual manner, this also isn't exactly how it works anymore).  Unfortunately like most entities of government once the politicians got their grubby little hands all over the inner workings of it there was significant drift from their initial core values, and like everything else it became treated as another potential revenue stream (just like out 'Medical Services Premium' payments that actually don't go to pay for healthcare, but I digress).

And that's more about auto insurance in BC than I suspect anyone wanted to hear. :peep:

My tabs were $30 two years ago, but then county voters approved a GIGANTIC public transportation project. Now they’re $50. 66% increase, but still not bad. People with newer cars really got hosed, sometimes hundreds extra each year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I pay between $45-$65 on any mj or xj. I'm in Indianapolis, IN. I believe that part of that is figured maybe on initial purchase price. So its kinda a pro rated tax. So if you listed a higher purchase price on the title when you changed at bvm here and payed the application for title fee(tax) you then end up paying a higher registration fee. I believe that is the reason my insurance and registration is higher on one than the others. It is the only thing I could think of. I have titled, plated, and registerd like 20 mjs and xjs total over the years. All have been like between 47 something and 54 something depending on the package but 1 which was 65 something which I must have put I higher purchase price on it not thinking.

This is interesting reading.  My thoughts are not exactly about total cost however.

When I lived in Virginia, if I wanted to cancel insurance on a vehicle, I had to turn in the plates to the DMV.  The point being, I guess, is I can't be trusted to NOT drive my non-insured car.  Now, I own several vehicles and can't drive more than one at the same time, right?  So I get very angry when "big brother" has these BS rules.  I guess I get it, so many people out there aren't responsible, and drive without insurance.  But that's not me, so I resent the BS rules. 

I got around them because I am active duty military.  I just registered my vehicles in my home of record, which does not have the "turn in your plates if you cancel insurance" rule.  And it is totally legal.

Now I live in MO, they don't play that game here, which is nice.

It does seem like many times the rules don't benefit the guys like me that own multiple, older vehicles.  I don't like paying registration (TAXES) multiple times (right now, I have 4 registered vehicles).  As I said, I can only drive one at a time.  Why do I have to pay taxes to maintain the roads  multiple times when the total wear and tear I put on the road doesn't change... it is just divided between several cars.  I don't know if my thought process will make sense to anyone...

51 minutes ago, schardein said:

It does seem like many times the rules don't benefit the guys like me that own multiple, older vehicles.  I don't like paying registration (TAXES) multiple times (right now, I have 4 registered vehicles).  As I said, I can only drive one at a time.  Why do I have to pay taxes to maintain the roads  multiple times when the total wear and tear I put on the road doesn't change... it is just divided between several cars.  I don't know if my thought process will make sense to anyone...

Somebody has to pay the taxes or the roads go to ruins.  So I don't really mind paying.  Tax policy is just like making sausage...I don't really like everything that goes into it.  But I do want roads maintained.  Not saying Life is Fair or Taxes are Fair.   But they are just like the weather, everybody complains about taxes.

Registration fees alone don't pay enough to maintain the roads anywhere I know.  But it is a simple, low cost way to collect taxes  That is why the fuel is taxed, easy to collect from all drivers.   The federal gas tax has not been increased in about 25 years, so that is not doing what it once did and roads sure cost more now than 25 years ago.  Just be glad you/we are not in Europe and paying their road/gas/registration taxes!

Of my 6 cars, at least one is on loan much of the time, sometimes 2 cars are on loan.  I keep them all insured, because I like to be able to use any of them when I want.