painting alum turbine rims

I have two turbines in the back yard, just can't seem to get my hands on a couple more.

Obviously, you're not looking in the right places. According to the twit in the video, they're everywhere and people are giving them away.

Obviously, you're not looking in the right places. According to the twit in the video, they're everywhere and people are giving them away.

That part was definitely not accurate... at least not around here.  I was lucky to find my set.  The guy didn't know what he had, so I offered him $100 for all four with tires and caps.

I hate black wheels. I ran black "rock crawler" wheels on my XJ because they were $26 a pop before they got trendy. Now everyone and their cousin runs them because they look hardcore or want to be "murdered out". I have not ran black wheels in 10 years and will never go back to them.

It is your rig and you can do what you want with it but it will look stupid to me. Very few MJs can pull off black wheels and look good.

No stock wheel painted black looks good BTW.

Painting an aluminum wheel ruins it and I can't fathom any logical reason for doing it. 

However, painting steel wheels black I do like if it has the the polished trim rings (called "beauty" rings back in the day) around the outer wheel edge and maybe some polished stainless lug nuts with a polished center cap. That's old school and looks damn good IMO.

There's two local PnP yards locally.  One is LKQ, I've been there on a few mornings and there was a crew of workers from some tire/wheel shop, they nab every alloy wheel as soon as a new row gets laid in the yard.  Seemed shady to me.  The other yard, I believe, removes all the alloy wheels before they lay the car in the yard...the good ones at least.

I have had my eyes out for some turbines....but as of yet no luck.......but I do agree with HornBrod....I ran that "vette" beauty ring/center cap look on my GM for many years.

On a diffent (same) topic with the Pic a parts......up here aluminum rims with no weights or valve stem are worth $.70/lb...even the bent ugly ones

i know you don't wanna hear it but i did have 15 of these rims now i only have 6. i rarely see turbines around here if i did they'd be on my mj these were my favorite stock wheel besides the 16in rubis. which i did find 1 set of rubi wheels but he wanted 800 without tires. 

I like the painted turbines, just not like that, I've seen a set that had the polished faces left polished and the rough faces blacked out. IMO it really spiced the wheel up.

Like this

But that video was pure wheel suck.

154_0801_05_z%2Boff_road_jeep_machine_jp

Yup. That looks great! On a side note, I can't imagine that the turbines done up that way along with orange paint wasn't planned.

the-general-lee.jpg

Still... good looking turbines.  :thumbsup:

i agree with JeepcoMJ on that one, plastic dip is for ricers, my coworker keeps tellin me to use it on my rims (like he did on his eclipse) i for one don't like the finish on plastic dip and if it keeps gettin hit it'll peal, could i possibly use a can of spray bedline?

Redwolf

Big thing for me is the name.

"Oh, let me plasti-dip this"

No. Only thing I'm dipping is chew, if that. Because I'm not a dipsh**

Like tweeting. No. I'm a grown man. I don't tweet, sounds like a damn bird

Or playing the Wii. No, I don't say "WEE" that is what the little piggy does.