painting alum turbine rims

just strip them with aircraft aluminum stripper, then get a FINE stainless steel wire wheel (cupped if you can) and polish them out.  the stainless won't scratch aluminum, I do this all the time to polish the engines, tunnels, and other shiny parts on my snowmobiles.

I know what you're thinkin' -- I've ruined it. And maybe I have.

Yep. IMHO, what a colossal waste of time, effort, and materials. I may be in a minority, but I like those turbine wheels. What he did wasn't "refurbish" that wheel so much as bastardize it. I restore them by stripping the clear coat, polishing the flats, and applying new clear coat.

Nope - you are not in the minority Eagle. That idiot's video showed a really stupid way to ruin the arguably most iconic wheel Jeep ever produced and make it ugly. YouTube has no regs or guidelines; any moron can post up. What's really amazing to me is that anyone would consider doing this.   :hmm:

Nope - you are not in the minority Eagle. That idiot's video showed a really stupid way to ruin the arguably most iconic wheel Jeep ever produced and make it ugly. YouTube has no regs or guidelines; any moron can post up. What's really amazing to me is that anyone would consider doing it.   :hmm:

Especially when their rig runs like crap and they haven't addressed that very well so far. 

My rig runs like crap and I need to mess with it's wheels!!!!

Nope - you are not in the minority Eagle. That idiot's video showed a really stupid way to ruin the arguably most iconic wheel Jeep ever produced and make it ugly. YouTube has no regs or guidelines; any moron can post up. What's really amazing to me is that anyone would consider doing it.   :hmm:

Especially when their rig runs like crap and they haven't addressed that very well so far. 

My rig runs like crap and I need to mess with it's wheels!!!!

haha, I often do something similar, I fix the problem at hand but dream of the other things I'd like to do to it :P

i'm just curious bout it as i have a massive amount of brake dust build up that won't come off a rim and i'd like to paint mine black, i don't like chrome, never have never will,

1. Brake dust is dust -- it ALWAYS comes off. Spray it with aerosol brake cleaner. Done. Wash the wheels with Simple Green. Done.

2. The turbine wheels are not chrome. They are aluminum alloy, with polished flats and other surfaces left rough.

i'm just curious bout it as i have a massive amount of brake dust build up that won't come off a rim and i'd like to paint mine black, i don't like chrome, never have never will,

1. Brake dust is dust -- it ALWAYS comes off. Spray it with aerosol brake cleaner. Done. Wash the wheels with Simple Green. Done.

2. The turbine wheels are not chrome. They are aluminum alloy, with polished flats and other surfaces left rough.

i've tried the brake clean, it didn't work so i tried brake clean with a scrubby pad and it didn't work, it's super brake dust, and ok chrome or not, after i finally clean em, they're be the only thing on my jeep shiney and not black or red,

Redwolf

Why mess up a great wheel with flat black paint.....those turbines are classics.....if you don't like them ship them to me.......I will take god care of them.

On a separate topic......from reading your other posts....right now you can't even get your rig running......

Hear is a easy list to keep in mind when working on vehicles

1) You need go

2) you need stop (if vehicle will not move see #1)

3) if you have go and stop.....you need safety....(make sure the truck is up to the standard in your area to be on the road......if truck does not move or run see #1)

4) once you have eliminated #'s 1-3 you can mod it up all you want......until 1-3 are done you are blowing smoke and wasting money..

To re-cap...Go......Stop......make look Pretty..... :thumbsup:

just strip them with aircraft aluminum stripper, then get a FINE stainless steel wire wheel (cupped if you can) and polish them out.  the stainless won't scratch aluminum, I do this all the time to polish the engines, tunnels, and other shiny parts on my snowmobiles.

Agree. You need to strip the oxide layer. Aircraft spruce sells all the toxic chems needed for a proper DIY project:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/me/metalprep.html

While I definitely agree that these Turbine rims are by far my favorite OEM wheel on our Jeeps, I can't say I totally agree with everyone here saying he ruined them.  It's his rig and he's entitled to customize it how he sees fit.  With that said, the red spokes aren't my cup of tea, but it doesn't look horrible either.  I have 5 of these turbine rims that I had planned to use on the MJ, one of which was painted black with bed liner, the other 4 are eat up with brake dust.  My plan was to sand blast them and paint them flat black, minus the outer edge.  I think these rims look good the stock way and/or black.

I painted my stock steel MJ rims high gloss black and polished the removable "chrome" rings.  I like it so much, I may take the rims off the MJ and put them on my Camry... yes, you read that correctly.

1003567_1385666955015262_886184148_n.jpg

see my whole concern is, will the process in the video by bleepinjeep eat into the aluminum of the rim?

If it's left on too long or you use too much, the stripper will definitely eat into aluminum. I think it says that in the instructions.