To Those Of You Driving Newer Vehicles, How Do You Manage Driving An Mj?

JeepcoMJ

So In the last few years, I haven't driven an mj. it's been 4 years actually.

I parked the 3800 5 years ago with engine trouble.

The 87 saw 1000 miles a year when i had it, and ended up selling it after almost finishing a 99 swap. I did the swap because I had become accustomed to nicer more modern interior and options like push button steering wheel cruise, etc. with my xj's.

Since then, I've dd'd a

92 ford crown vic beater (hated that ABS crap)

a 97/98 xj hybrid 5 speed 4.0 4dr that i built from two

and a 99 xj 4.0 5 speed with a built motor

all with full power windows, locks, mirrors, cruise on the steering wheels, keyless entry etc.

I still have my 86, and just bought back my 87, but both are going to HAVE to have 97+ update. I justreally don't like the outdated look anymore.

Then I built the lifted limited KJ, and drove it for a week. heated leather...i'm in heaven.

gave it to my dad, and I'm currently driving my brother's 88 MJ 4.0 4x4 MT 3" front lift d30/d44 3.55 ax15 with Meyer ST6'8" plow, no cruise, manual windows, manual locks, no keyless entry, just pretty plain jane. Just driving that until I'm done with the black KJ then i have to put break-in miles on it prior to selling it, and finish my new DD v8 powered liberty.

I HATE driving the MJ. I hate it, hate it, hate it. the truck is nice for it's age, runs good, drives good. but i've grown so accustomed to the bells and whistles that the thing is just inconvenient. Until driving it again, I couldn't remember the last time I'd put a key in the door to unlock it, or had to reach to both sides to lock and unlock a car. I'm also particularly embarassed to be driving something with rust, though that's nothing new...i've always been that way

Maybe I'm just beginning to be a snob, but how do you guys bounce between something with amenities and these cool old trucks?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like that my MJ is stripped down without all the bells and whistles, just the way a jeep should be.

I have owned several brand new rigs and currently own some nice newer rigs I could drive but I would rather drive my older rigs, currently the MJ only gets driven on weekends but there are some mornings where I head out for work and walk right past my dd and climb in the MJ then have to get out and get in the dd.

I know I'm burnt out on mj's...maybe that's part of my issue.

having owned over 30 mj's, stripped over half of them, and rebuilt the rest, i just sorta have lost that soft spot that I used to have for them. I passed on buying several rust free ones or close to within the past 12 months. i'm just done with them.

Maybe you should take a break away from MJ related activites for a period of time. Not really in the same ballpark, but your conundrum reminds me of when I get burnt out from working on novellas (longtime hobby). Sometimes you have to step away for a while to re-kindle the spark. :dunno:

Never had a "newer" car; all the ones I've grown up in, or around never had too many bells and whisltes. Call me "superstitious", but the less electronics in my vehicles, the better. Maybe it's just me though. :dunno:

In my old age I'm also starting to like power windows and locks. That why I swapped them into the PPE.

Heck even my "hardly looks like an MJ anymore" trail pig has a power window on the driver side.

I know I am a total newb when it comes to the Comanche world, and maybe the "rustic" aspect will get old, but I don't think so. The reasons you hate driving your MJ are the reasons I bought mine.  I bought it because it doesn't have power locks or windows.  I bought it because it is a rusty little truck that needs work.  I bought it because once I'm done building it, you will know that I put in the wrench time to make it what it is.  Driving a restored or trail ready Jeep used to mean you were a Jeep guy (or girl), and that you built that truck the way it was.  Now driving a trail ready Jeep means you have a 700 dollar a month payment and you drive your kids to soccer practice in your shiny lifted 4 door wrangler.  You can't spit out the window these days without hitting 5 JK's with power windows, keyless entry, and factory installed lift kits.  Being a "Jeep guy" just doesn't mean what it used to, but I feel like being an "MJ guy" still has the same meaning.  If there are any JK owners on here, I mean no offense, but I just hate how they have dulled down the Jeep to make it cushy.  

Lol. I actually don't like the exterior looks of the KJ one bit. but boy is it comfortable to drive these things.

I'm not sick of the outward asthetics or even road handling of the MJ's....I'm just done with the straight-from-the-80's interior.

You probably don't like rotary telephones either. :rotf: Your past involvement level ( Obsessive Comanche Disorder, 9,589 posts :bowdown:  ) may be a contributor to your dilemma. To be brutally honest, it pains me to hear one of CC's most highly respected and appreciated contributors experiencing meltdown. With all due respect, Sir.. your one of the CC's pillars. Shake off all the hatred and realize how may folks you have helped and inspired during this site's growth like myself. As for the straight-from-the-80's interior, I concur, but see opportunity. Now that you have released all that negative energy :fs1:, perhaps you could put your creative juices to work and come up with an idea we haven't seen. :dunno: We've probably seen more technological advancement in our life time than any other in history. I guess it's easy to get caught off guard by all the creature comforts.  

You probably don't like rotary telephones either. :rotf: Your past involvement level ( Obsessive Comanche Disorder, 9,589 posts :bowdown:  ) may be a contributor to your dilemma. To be brutally honest, it pains me to hear one of CC's most highly respected and appreciated contributors experiencing meltdown. With all due respect, Sir.. your one of the CC's pillars. Shake off all the hatred and realize how may folks you have helped and inspired during this site's growth like myself. As for the straight-from-the-80's interior, I concur, but see opportunity. Now that you have released all that negative energy :fs1:, perhaps you could put your creative juices to work and come up with an idea we haven't seen. :dunno: We've probably seen more technological advancement in our life time than any other in history. I guess it's easy to get caught off guard by all the creature comforts.  

Thanks.    I don't hate the trucks.   I love them.    But I've got 3 and a half here if you include Automan's soon-to-be trailer.   Just don't want or need anymore.   Alot of why i don't want anymore is I don't have the time or money to save them all, space to store them all, or heart to send anymore to the crusher.

Of the two that I own, one has 97+ update done, but I have to finish that, figure out fuel tank, do some body work, finish interior, paint, build a motor and trans, make a set of bumpers, and generally tighten down all of the bolts.    I'll end up driving this one as a second vehicle for a bit, but it will get sold when the 3800 is done.  don't want or need two mj's anymore.

The other one needs a new bed, rockers, cab corners, some floor work, full on interior work, finish setting up the T5 for it, driveshafts, rebuild the buick 3800 (needs crank and bearings), paint....etc.

My bro's needs

new doors, bed (has rust above flares now, i'm not fixing rust anymore.   I'll spend the money to replace it so it won't come back), one rocker, floors redone, general cleanup of interior, new seats, complete reseal on engine, and i'm sure the tranny needs some attention.   obviously it will need paint.

That's alot.   All of this is why I agreed to let my dad sell our diesel comanche...it's rare, sure, but we just haven't got a use for it.

That's not really the issue at hand though.   Just curious if others liked creature comforts as much as I've grown to like them.

I enjoy creature comforts such as electric seats, power windows, remote locks, air conditioning, sure.... that's why I have a Ford Escape and Buick LeSabre in addition to the Jeep.

Of the three, the Jeep is the simplest to maintain, gets better fuel mileage than the Ford [but not the Buick at 26 hwy], and is more utilitarian being able to haul a load if I need it to. It's also the most unusual of the three because while there's a bazillion Escapes and LeSabres on the road, while you don't see a Comanche other than your own every day.

If you want to jump ship from being burnt out, I don't blame you- I was the same way with Hondas and haven't touched one in five years.

Maybe because I'm younger I don't mind all the manual options and lack of bells and whistles, but I think there's a bit more to it as well. I've never owned a newer vehicle (my MJ is my first and only so far) but I have driven some and I've enjoyed it. Then I look at my parents' vehicles about the same age as my MJ but that came with all the bells and whistles. Most of them don't ring or toot any more, but the manual options are still functional.

That's the one thing I like about my MJ. It may be a pos, but not only is it my pos, everything still mostly works at 300k miles.

Sounds to me that perhaps your a little over whelmed, too many irons in the fire. It happens to us all from time to time. :thumbsup: If Jeep would simply build them again, it would solve the whole issue. There not Camaros, Chargers, or Mustangs by a long shot, but I'd be first in line to get my hands on a new one with all the options available.

I wouldn't mind power windows, locks eh, cruise no i find where i live if ur on a 65 mph rd u set it at speed limit ull catch up anyway.

I don't care for power seats either i normally set it and forget about it. Tho the oem seats hurt my bum lol

I'm not a fan of amenities.  Electric locks and windows can be nice, but not really needed.  I can reach every window knob and lock(except the hatch, obviously) from the driver's seat.

I'd trade in the XJ for a good running 5 speed MJ in a heartbeat.

My other car is my wife's 2008 $52,000 Cadillac CTS with the rare luxury and performance options of that period (now you have to buy the CTS premium for $58,000). In all honesty my Iphone connected to its Kenwood unit will out do her guidance and listening capabilities  The heated and cooled seats are great, and with its 3.6L DI and LS rear axle will leave my truck in the rear view mirror, but I still look forward to driving my little truck to work every day, taking it to the country, fishing, hiking and camping. All this and I had the worst weekend of my life with this truck attempting to change out the broken header with an APN header and a 99+ intake. I had a broken eye stud closest to the cab almost impossible to reach, but with the help of some really really good union welders that live nearby, they welded a bolt to the broken stud and we got it out. The APN header required too much grinding to accommodate my 99 + manifold so I was only able to manage to get the new header on before I had to be at work today. My wife asked me yesterday why I wouldn't just buy a newer truck, and I told her the only truck I would consider would be in the 3/4 ton range and with all the creature comforts of her Cadillac would be in the $50,000 range. (I love the Dodge Power Wagon, or the Ford Raptor). Unless God came down from heaven and blew my truck up I might consider the much more cost effective NIssan Frontier. Now JeepCoMJ, you have pissed and crapped more MJ blood than I could ever hope to do, and you are one of a select few here that lives and breathes MJ's, but please understand many of us love these little trucks despite the noise from the windows, despite the crappy transmissions of some, the noisy lifters, the bumpy ride, the poor electrical system, and in some cases the lack of power, and crappy fuel economy.

I'll just continue to call my little truck a labor of love. I appreciate all your contributions to the MJ knowledge collective, and hope one day the long and winding road of vehicle affairs brings you back to the world of the MJ in a favorable light.

:thumbsup:

I don't think ANY jeep was meant to be a DD.  Sales of larger more comfortable and practical transportation has killed the quirky fun easy to love impractical vehicles.  Who DD's their '67 Camaro?  I don't think they are complaining.  I too believe you are up to your eyeballs in work with little return appriciation.  I get that.  Maybe you need to take out a huge loan, take a year off and build the ultimate Comanche.  Now if you want a DD this is the parts list:

Tons of sound deadening and LineX.

NO rust

Power everything, heated cooled and power seats, power heated and auto dimming mirrors, Rear defrost with power slider, 10 speaker 1000W Bang&Olusfen stereo with ipod control, bluetooth, 80gig HD, power locks, power windows, A/C full gauge cluster, etc.

4 wheel independent suspension with front and rear anti-rollbars

Magnetorheological shocks computer tuned for the best ride quality

Brand new LT1 (6.2L direct injection, Displacement on Demand) with 8 speed auto trans

Stiffened unitbody and hardpoints for upgraded suspension

Maybe this will inspire you.  :P 

If this seems like too much work for the payoff I will be happy to build it for you.  It's the lest I could do for a fellow member. :bowdown: 

My other car is my wife's 2008 $52,000 Cadillac CTS with the rare luxury and performance options of that period (now you have to buy the CTS premium for $58,000). In all honesty my Iphone connected to its Kenwood unit will out do her guidance and listening capabilities  The heated and cooled seats are great, and with its 3.6L DI and LS rear axle will leave my truck in the rear view mirror, but I still look forward to driving my little truck to work every day, taking it to the country, fishing, hiking and camping. All this and I had the worst weekend of my life with this truck attempting to change out the broken header with an APN header and a 99+ intake. I had a broken eye stud closest to the cab almost impossible to reach, but with the help of some really really good union welders that live nearby, they welded a bolt to the broken stud and we got it out. The APN header required too much grinding to accommodate my 99 + manifold so I was only able to manage to get the new header on before I had to be at work today. My wife asked me yesterday why I wouldn't just buy a newer truck, and I told her the only truck I would consider would be in the 3/4 ton range and with all the creature comforts of her Cadillac would be in the $50,000 range. (I love the Dodge Power Wagon, or the Ford Raptor). Unless God came down from heaven and blew my truck up I might consider the much more cost effective NIssan Frontier. Now JeepCoMJ, you have pissed and crapped more MJ blood than I could ever hope to do, and you are one of a select few here that lives and breathes MJ's, but please understand many of us love these little trucks despite the noise from the windows, despite the crappy transmissions of some, the noisy lifters, the bumpy ride, the poor electrical system, and in some cases the lack of power, and crappy fuel economy.

I'll just continue to call my little truck a labor of love. I appreciate all your contributions to the MJ knowledge collective, and hope one day the long and winding road of vehicle affairs brings you back to the world of the MJ in a favorable light.

:thumbsup:

Much appreciated!

I'm not nearly as upset about this as you guys might seem to think. I'm just so use to driving an optioned vehicle at this point that it's frustrating.

Most of that is probably based off of the fact that it is not my truck. You always love your own, despite it's flaws. No one will ever pry the 3800 from me, no matter what shape it's in.

I appreciate all the feedback. You guys are great, and I love your support of these fine trucks! Keep it up!

I don't think ANY jeep was meant to be a DD.  Sales of larger more comfortable and practical transportation has killed the quirky fun easy to love impractical vehicles.  Who DD's their '67 Camaro?  I don't think they are complaining.  I too believe you are up to your eyeballs in work with little return appriciation.  I get that.  Maybe you need to take out a huge loan, take a year off and build the ultimate Comanche.  Now if you want a DD this is the parts list:

Tons of sound deadening and LineX.

NO rust

Power everything, heated cooled and power seats, power heated and auto dimming mirrors, Rear defrost with power slider, 10 speaker 1000W Bang&Olusfen stereo with ipod control, bluetooth, 80gig HD, power locks, power windows, A/C full gauge cluster, etc.

4 wheel independent suspension with front and rear anti-rollbars

Magnetorheological shocks computer tuned for the best ride quality

Brand new LT1 (6.2L direct injection, Displacement on Demand) with 8 speed auto trans

Stiffened unitbody and hardpoints for upgraded suspension

Maybe this will inspire you.  :P 

If this seems like too much work for the payoff I will be happy to build it for you.  It's the lest I could do for a fellow member. :bowdown: 

that sounded good right up to the engine swap. I'm a fan of stroked 4.0's more than I am of LT1's lol.

'13 Mazda 6 w/full power, '05 Silverado w/power stuff, previous BMW Z4 w/power, previous Lexus 300 w/power, previous '01 Sierra w/power, etc. just want to have one vehicle that I can work on without owning a ton of electronic testing equipment. MJ is simple enough for my simple mind. And, it says JEEP right there on the tailgate!

But, I do understand burnout. Fortunately, some passage of time usually brings us back to things we enjoy. I used to really be into flying and at one point just kind of tired of it. Lately I find myself looking up when piston engines go overhead. Give it some time and if it's really what you like, it will draw you back.