To Those Of You Driving Newer Vehicles, How Do You Manage Driving An Mj?

JeepcoMJ

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:agree:   If that's all you can find wrong with an MJ it's pretty lame. I like the MJ interior better than I do my 2012 JK, and it has everything, most of which I don't need. If you can't stand being w/o power windows/locks/mirrors/seats/antenna or cruise or whatever, simply install them yourself. It's an easy vehicle to work on and accessories like these are pretty simple to wire in. And I are not even an engineer.  :yes:

I just need power locks and windows.  Seems silly to me that just about every XJ at the time was offered with power locks/windows, but only a handful of MJs got them.

I need to have creature comforts.  Long drives with a siberian husky constantly popping up to stick his head out the window demands that.  Leaning over to roll down/up the window is dangerous for both myself and dog.

The outdated MJ interior is what made me stop driving my MJ.  It's not even outdated in a cool way like a lot of older 60's muscle cars - the kind of outdated where you say, "this is a cool, vintage look."  The MJ interior makes me laugh every time I get in.  The heater/AC controls are one of the most idiotic designs I have ever seen.  The glovebox is a joke and the fact that only a handful of MJs came with factory door locks and windows is annoying.  I have been driving my '04 Dodge Ram diesel for the past couple of months and it's going to be very hard to get me back in the MJ after driving that fully optioned beast around.  I simply NEED power windows with my dogs...and a rear seat helps out with that, too.

However, with all that said, I still can't bring myself to get rid of my Comanche's.  I think it's partly due to the fact that it's getting really difficult to find one in good, rust-free shape.  I know if I get rid of the ones I have, I'll never be able to replace them with ones that are half as good.

No offense but I don't get any of these comments.  I think the interior looks great and they do look vintage. The worst thing you could do is rip it out and try to modernize it by installing a late model xj interior.  I replaced my bench with buckets but only because I was afraid I would get rear ended and my head would go through the back window.  These arent new 2013 trucks.

To each their own.  The interior reminds me of the one in the Pontiac Fiero - another interior I don't like the styling of.  Seems like they were trying to go for that futuristic look, but failed big time.

I did rip out the interior on my '88MJ supercharged project and put in a '99XJ interior.  The layout and functionality of the newer style XJs is leaps and bounds above the older MJ/XJs.  Problem is that the newer XJ interior swap requires time and resources - two things I'm short on at the moment.

Won't disagree with you there - the Laredo trim package had a decent looking interior.

Unfortunately, less than 5% of all MJs ever made actually had that trim package.

Let's look at a much more common interior offering:

Yea, not so sexy...

I don't mind the interior in mine, although now that I've seen the Laredo trim, I'm jealous and see Terrawombat's point. I do miss power windows on occasion, but it's character building to use a crank. My cousin has no concept of crank windows. Made me feel old. 

Honestly, all I need to keep me happy is a good running engine, solid brakes, A/C and a decent stereo. I put in a Kenwood head unit that works with my iPhone (and runs Pandora) and two Kicker 6.5" 2 way speakers and I'm in hog heaven for less than $115. 

Then again, for over a decade my DD was a '64 Valiant with no A/C, a 170 Slant Six, and drums all around fed by a thimbleful of brake fluid in a single pot MC, so what do I know about creature comforts? This MJ is a freakin' Cadillac for all I know.

Yes! I would have no trouble climbing into an interior like that everyday!

Ill keep driving my MJs (and XJs) for the comfortating fact of knowing, if something goes wrong i can pull it into the garage and fix it with nothing more than a few hand tools and alittle patinence ;)

Yes! I would have no trouble climbing into an interior like that everyday!

Ill keep driving my MJs (and XJs) for the comfortating fact of knowing, if something goes wrong i can pull it into the garage and fix it with nothing more than a few hand tools and alittle patinence ;)

:agree:  Hell yeah I second that. This kid on my floor in my dorm paid $450 to get his Ujoints replaced in his wrongler. :nuts:

Damn mines gray and I like it but I may have to paint it black :rock on:

My mother's car is a 2004 Cadillac Seville. The amount of electrical stuff in that thing is beyond me even though I'm of the 'technological generation. I can't hear the engine unless I really give it some gas, the steering is too easy and feels disconnected, and everything is flimsy plastic, apparently including the window regulators. I feel like I could rip the bumper off with a good pull and don't even get me started on transverse motors. The power passenger side window and lock is pretty nice, though, and if I crashed I would probably appreciate the air bags.. Even though it packs 300 horsepower, driving it isn't really exciting like driving my truck is.

Basically what I'm getting at is that some creature comforts are nice but new cars definitely take it too far IMO. Everything is so simple and reasonable in my MJ - that's why I like it. I feel like I could tear my mom's $50,000 when new car apart (don't get me started on the ridiculous depreciation either) with my bare hands but everything is solid and well made on my truck.

i would MUCH rather drive my MJ than my fully loaded civic.  

MJ's don't get much cooler or better riding than the way yours is set up...and aside from lack of power options, yours has an optioned out interior in very good shape.

Would you rather drive our beat up old diesel (more common interior/exterior condition for an mj) than your civic?

I must be of the minority.

I have a brand newish (new Nov 2012) 2012 Cummins Diesel truck. Its quiet, extremely comfortable and rides nice etc..

This sits in the garage while I drove my 88 rusted to hell Comanche everyday.  I loved it.  The radio even quit working last fall.  Didnt matter.  5k miles driven with no radio, only heat I had was defrost, and I froze my feet if it was below 10 degrees.  

Now i have a 01 XJ.  Bought a few months ago because of fuel tank issues with the MJ.  I personally find my 25 year old bench seat more comfy then the 13ish old seat in my 01 XJ!  Now the ABS almost made me crash the other day but thats only a issue when the roads are bad and I run the 242 in full time.  Otherwise its fine..

:agree: the non-adjustable 22 year old bench in my truck is more comfortable than a whole lot of fully adjustable heated leather seats I've sat in. Nothing to catch on fire or break under it to boot. The stereo ain't bad either.

I'm putting light tan 97+ interior in my 87 with the conversion, except the seats will be 02 liberty limited leather tan heated power seats.

that's fully optioned overhead console and all, ice cold R134 a/c, stroked, bored, built, on 4.5" with 31's. problem solved.

only heat I had was defrost, and I froze my feet if it was below 10 degrees.  

I sure hope you fixed that.  it's usually just a vacuum leak at the vacuum reservoir. :thumbsup:

I had an identical problem in one of my MJs.  Turned out to be a big crack in the vacuum blimp.

Replaced it, and all was well again.

I'm putting light tan 97+ interior in my 87 with the conversion, except the seats will be 02 liberty limited leather tan heated power seats.

that's fully optioned overhead console and all, ice cold R134 a/c, stroked, bored, built, on 4.5" with 31's. problem solved.

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: