Skunky Advice...

SuperWade2

... Literally...

I was getting the kids ready for bed, and saw these little boogers hanging out in my back yard... Shot from my upstairs window with my 28-135mm...

Any advice for getting rid of them (I live in City Limits, where firing a gun is not legal... I do have a pellet gun, but I'm guessing not powerful enough to take out one of these guys...I don't a "real" gun anyhow)... Animal Control maybe?

There was at least 8 or 9 that I counted at one point...Looked to be a Mama/Papa and some smaller baby guys...

UGGGG...

img3611ju9.jpg

img3585jk1.jpg

Those I don't miss. I lived in a condo in La Mesa and they were all over the place. You always have to look out the window before opening your door as not to get sprayed. I called animal control the first time I saw one in the yard and they :rotf: at me and said welcome to La Mesa.

Good luck and the tomato juice thing doesn't work for the smell on dogs. :brows:

X2 on the dead skunk thing. :ack:

ya i got a similar problem but mine are racoons and i use my 1000fps .177 cal. air rifle or my beman 1200fps 22. cal. to rid my self of such pests (or my 26 oz framing hammer but thats another story), i call it Urban Hunting and have had great success. and yes i live in "city limits" also ,and remember those tree huggers will only do so much to help ya. o and i don't care for the posion method but thats just my personal prefrence .

Chocolate Laxative. It makes them literally crap themselves to death. Thats how we do it in Michigan. Only bad part is if they are living under your house, you have to go clean them out once they are dead and due to the massive amounts of poo, its not a fun job... :roll:

Chocolate Laxative. It makes them literally crap themselves to death. Thats how we do it in Michigan. Only bad part is if they are living under your house, you have to go clean them out once they are dead and due to the massive amounts of poo, its not a fun job... :roll:

:rotfl2:

Superwade2 sorry about your bad luck. Animal control would be my guess. Call the cops and have a squad car come out and they will be sure to get AC out there to handle that for you.

DON'T shoot them.

you may hit theirscent glands and cause a worse stench than you can imagine... :eek:

they need to die. either that, or you should make sure that you get to laugh at someone else while they retrieve them. but, I would find the cheapest easiest cleanest method of killing them, and do it.

Now that is just an image I didn't need...

SW2

I would call animal control. Where hopefully they will be captured and released somewhere out in the wild.

Plus I wouldn't want to risk dead or stinky animals smelling up the place any more then necessary.

I have heard that moth balls work on them, but I know they don't work on cats. We have a lot of free raoming cats around here and they were getting in our YJ to sleep, piss, puke etc... We tried moth balls around, in and under the Jeep, but it didn't help. We finally bought a cab cover to put on it while parked.

I have heard skunks are a tough one, but thankfully I have not had to deal with them yet.

I would call animal control. Where hopefully they will be captured and released somewhere out in the wild.

Plus I wouldn't want to risk dead or stinky animals smelling up the place any more then necessary.

:agree:

there is no reason to hurt them, just have them relocated

I’ve worked in animal welfare for many years (Humane Society) and I can tell you that killing them really isn’t a good option. If they are repeatedly coming into your yard they most likely are doing so for a reason. I would first look for and remove any source of food that you and/or your neighbors might inadvertently be providing like dog/cat food left outside. Or perhaps there is some kind of habitat that is appealing to them…

If you kill these, they will most likely be replaced by others, until you deal with the reason there coming there. In regards to trapping and relocating you might want to check with your state laws, in Washington it is illegal to trap and release wildlife, even if you use a humane trap (live trap).

Also, animal control won’t usually deal with wildlife as they mostly are concerned with domesticated animals. You would probably need to contact Fish & Wildlife or a similar organization (what every your state agency calls themselves)

Hope this helps.

Looking at the photos I'd say you got the ideal housing arrangement for your unwanted guests. With wide open gaping holes under your buildings and decks you can dispose of the current occupants but more & other species will follow. Until you seal things up & eliminate easy food sources you lose the war. Feral cats are no better, and you can thank your neighbors for them, and should be eterminated along with the other pests. I had neighbors move out & leave 10 starving cats behind living under their house. Couldnd't get any animal activists to take care of the problem so some locals loaded up meat with ground-up decon and kept putting it to em until they kicked off. Of course they died under the house so plug the holes while the cats are out first. Hmmmm, skunks love eggs...................

Fish and Game or Wildlife can give you some hints. They love grubworms, worms and ant nests. They are omnivores and eat everything including garbage. They will steal a burrow or use an existing hole but rarely dig them but they will escavate for entry under a house, shed etc... You definitly do not want to wound them, they may spray even if you kill without hitting the glands. They are smarter than a cat or dog, almost equal to a pig. They make great pets if you can box trap them and have the vet remove the glands. So you have 2 humane options; Feed them good garbage for a couple days then put some of the hottest Wasbi you can find on it, they will remember or Box Trap them keep it covered with heavy dark cloth and set the door so the cloth closes the front when the door closes, then you can relocate them without bouncing or disturbing to another location. Farmers actually like them.

Look out the window and just keep shooting the pellet gun. They'll get the point after a while and find somewhere else to hang out. Plus, I didn't think skunks were supposed to be out during the day?

Oh, don't use a really strong pellet gun if you don't wanna kill em.

Edit: You know I get em my backyard all the time because we're the only house in the neighborhood that has a forrest growing back there. Everybody else chopped down all their trees. I get skunks, moles, voles, cats, squirells, rabbits, and all kinds of other crap. My Golden Retriever takes care of most of the problems in the yard. I've used the BB gun that shoots out the little rubber balls. It annoys them enough with the barking of my dog that they usually jet. My neighbor on the other hand had one skunk in her yard, called the cops, and they showed up, got clearance from someone on the radio, and shot the skunk. Bagged it, and threw it in the cruiser and got rid of it somewhere.

Guest vzehler

I've heard that they don't like the smell of human urine. I urinate in my backyard all the time anyways. Don't know if it works but Ive not had any to deal with either. Must me cuz I mark my territory?... :dunno:

Well I tossed a bunch of Mothballs around the fence and in the holes where they were poking out thier heads... I also sprinkled some stuff call "Critter Ridder" which is basically a black pepper oil powder stuff that said varmints like skunks didn't like...

Effectiveness of either TBD.